AD vs. AP Kat?

12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kyoukitenshi

07-10-2010

So I've played around with Kat a bit as she's free this week and I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience, decided I'll build up the points to buy her. However, I've been playing a couple other champs specifically so I could watch other Kats and how they've done it. I generally run AP with Kat, 9/0/21 (or it would be if I was level 30) and my item build usually goes as follows;

Boots of Speed, 2 HP pots
Mejai's Soulstealer
Sorc. Shoes or Mercury Treads, depending on necessity
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Zhonya's Ring
Lichbane
Last item, if I have time to get it, depends on necessity. Lots of casters? Banshee's. Dying too frequently? Guardian Angel. Need stupid amounts of health? Warmog's. Etc.

Anyway, I've been watching a lot of other Kat players and I recently watched a level 30 Kat build with AD instead of AP. I generally do some heavy damage with AP, especially mid-late game since I can walk in, hit my ult and kill 2 or 3 people in a team fight, however he insisted that his AD build consistently worked for him and that all the guides I'd been reading on AP Kat were wrong. I know the ratio is better for Kat's ult on AD vs AP, but AD doesn't benefit Shunpo, and I do some serious damage end-game with Shunpo. Running in and bursting a quick 700 damage on that Annie who was harassing the bajeezus out of me with Tibbers is an incredibly satisfying feeling.

Does anyone have exact numbers to prove one is better than the other? Is it just a matter of playstyle and preference? Is there one build that does better at higher levels?
Would love some input on this.

Matuk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2010

AD Kat all the way.

AP Kat never scares me. Ever. While I've seen her destroy, I've seen her feed more often, because she relies completely on her ultimate.

AD Kat, however, is a true force to be reckoned with.

I've yet to see a hybrid build for her, and I have no idea why.

kyoukitenshi

07-10-2010

What would be a good example of an AD kat build, in that case? I'd like to try it out.

Also, she's really reliant on her ultimate, yes, but when she pops in, shunpo's you for 800 damage then her teammate stuns you.. you're going to die, and quickly. Unless the other team consists of Annie, Heimerdinger, Ashe, Pantheon and Cho'gath, I generally don't have problems taking -anyone- out solo at the beginning stacking AP w/ a quick shunpo/ignite combo, and as long as I get a couple kills by level 6 I can pretty much feed on anyone I want for the rest of the game while playing AP. This might just be because I'm still a lowbie and the people I'm playing with are bad, but I wasn't sure.

IWBTG

07-10-2010

I play ad with her, well her shunpu scales with AP, but both bb and her ult scales better with AD. In the games i've played i've always found the AD katarina to be superior.

A Graceful Seal

07-10-2010

The most common build i see for Kat is Upgraded Boot +5x Bloodthirster (im level 30 btw, 250+ wins) and they usually do well (i don't play much Kats, besides this week where she's free). Pick off the squsihies very quickly and tho shunpo does scale with AP, once you can get in reach due to your shunpo you can just start bashing their face.

AP Kat, in my opinion, depends a lot on getting kills for the mejais, being able to execute your ulti perfectly, and having a lichbane for an amazing burst shunpo+lichbane hit.

AD does seem more consistent because the damage is solid and you rape runaways like no other.

kyoukitenshi

07-10-2010

So if AD kat is > AP Kat, what do you want as far as runes and whatnot? And should you still be running a 9/0/21 for magic pen/utility? Or would that be more like a 21/7/2 kind of build?

Also, AD kat relies on kills as well. All the AD kats I've seen run with a Sword of the Occult along with Merc Treads, then I'd figure an infinity edge and 2x bloodstealer.

peyo

07-10-2010

9/21/0 is the best way for both. Offense gives nothing as she doesn't auto attack and utility is much mana-regen bsaed.
MPen Marks
Dodge Seals
CDR or MR/lvl Glyphs
HP or MPen Quints
again, for both.

kyoukitenshi

07-10-2010

Also, what do you want as far as skills early game? Shunpo is good for first blood so I usually do EQEWER, but I'd expect an AD build would be a lot more reliant on q, so maybe QEQWQR?

peyo

07-10-2010

EQW

R>Q>W>E

that's it

ilovetolmao

07-10-2010

I like AP kat. Rylais procs with your ult and makes it harder for them to walk out of it. The ult does about the same damage with both builds, but AP kat usually makes them stay longer inside of it.

Plus bloodthisters require a lot of farm and you can't afford to die.

12345 ... 10