Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The True Value of Towers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

malphismia

07-10-2010

Quote:
Matuk:
Let us not forget that this $100 is actually $500, because your whole team gets it. Not just you.

The question is whether or not that extra $100 on each player will help get a kill sooner than usual, and thus return more than what that $100 is worth.

Yeah its 500$ total for a tower.

But for a kill, it could be 400$ (first blood), 300$ (normal kill), 1000$ (kill spree ended), PLUS the assist money that all the enemy teammates who hit the target before they died get.

Either way, In early-game: tower > kill. In endgame: kill > tower, since death counters are longer, once you kill 2-3 champs you are already assured a tower.

Matuk

07-10-2010

Quote:
Hallam:
I see some flaw in this. Towers are worth gold and map control. Freeing champs to jungle, push another lane, or farm creeps as they push the lane with a downed tower.

From what I've seen and played the comebacks are few and it is usually because the team getting pushed on has a better late game. It certainly not a strategy that would be played but something that just happens. Either because the better late game team, or the pushing team made a mistake. I've been in far more games where the team with the least amount of towers has a significant disadvantage and 7 times out of 10 is the loser. Rallies are always possible, but not always feasible.

Also even with an ace if the creep waves are not pushed far in their lanes you won't be able to fully capitalize on it. Without creeps then the team would need to have a tank to be able to take the hits.

You act like towers actually are deadly when 5 people work to push down one tower.

This is honestly why getting an ace when your base has been penetrated almost never matters. Because only one or two people even try to push down the enemy base. One guy will sit back and farm creeps, thinking defense is absolutely important (or maybe he's just trying to perfectly complete his item build).
The other two might go jungle for a neut buff, thinking how important it will be in the next team fight, or they may even be the stupid sort to push the creeps slowly down the lane, thinking that it will be enough to take out that lane's tower.
No, it won't. The other team will rez up when you're halfway down the lane with your creeps and come running. They will either kill you, or send you running back to the supposedly safe canopy of your towers. And then they'll wipe out your creep push.

If everybody is level 18 and has reasonably farmed up on some decent items, when you ace, **** the creeps. Rush past them to the next tower and tear it down piece by piece. Let the most sturdy champ tank the shots until he can't anymore, and then let the turret pick a second target. Most of the time, it won't be able to pick a second.

Quote:
MatadorRED:
Yeah its 500$ total for a tower.

But for a kill, it could be 400$ (first blood), 300$ (normal kill), 1000$ (kill spree ended), PLUS the assist money that all the enemy teammates who hit the target before they died get.

Either way, In early-game: tower > kill. In endgame: kill > tower, since death counters are longer, once you kill 2-3 champs you are already assured a tower.

Kills become worth less and less the longer your killing spree is, and the more people that participate in the kill.

Edit: I pity the fool who down-rated my comment. Do people honestly still fear tower shots in the late-game, when backed up by 4 other people?

MercMan

07-10-2010

Very nice post OP,+1.

Incendax

07-11-2010

Nice post, but it's got one glaring flaw.

If you can manage to crack that third tower in a lane then you've bought yourself a lot of control. The enemy suddenly has to be worried that you might jump out of the jungle and smash their inhibiter, and they have to devote someone to staying close to it just in case. If they don't keep someone close, then they are facing upgraded creeps which are lethal enough to almost force an enemy team member to babysit the broken lane. This is great because it can give you a major edge in teamfights.

So while you make a great point about cracking the 1st tower, and even the 2nd tower, that 3rd tower is a hell of a lot more valuable for the board control it offers you.

Cumulous

07-11-2010

The only thing I can say about pushing towers hard early on is it does force heroes to bunch up. It denies hard carries like trist/ashe the time to get the items they need before the teamfights start occuring. If its a 6 tower advantage before the teamfights occur, ashe is probably only getting about half the farm she normally can get (has to watch every other creep wave die in gankable territory). Also getting 6 towers would give your team 2-3 levels on the other team; plus you will have alot more access to things like dragon or golem.

I do agree tho, that teams push towers bc they are winning.

Nevertheless I wouldn't agree with you that if you've lost 6 towers you can come back vs a competent team. They would have access to too more gold then you would, even if you ran around in a 5 man, and could beat them in a team fight (which I doubt bc having 6 more towers would give them like 2 more levels over your team).

Uber1337pwnage

07-11-2010

I like how you make getting an ace seem like such an easy thing to do. If the team is a pushing team like pentasiv, then their whole strategy is going to be to not engage you in an all out team battle.

Battlegodd

07-11-2010

forcing your enemy to require back to back aces to win seems like a good strategy to me