Morgana Vs. Lux Vs. Anivia

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TopazDragon

12-14-2011

So I'm pretty new to the game and I realize that alot of champion choice is personal taste. However I figure there has to be some things that some champions are better at then others. I've played a little bit (lvl 14) so I know whats going on some, but I definitely can't see alot of the subtle details of how to play and how stats are, etc.

So I've played a bit with Morgana & Lux and I notice that Anivia is free this week. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what makes any of these a better or worse choice then the others. I am playing with them a bit but I'd like some imput on what everyone is good at.

(I'm hoping for something like Morgana is the best because... Morgana is the worst because..., Lux is... Etc. )

Thank you in advance

Penguinaway

12-14-2011

Morgana is ban worthy in rank games. If you came from dota or something she can basically put a bkb on anyone like omniknights magic repel. The catch is it only last for a few seconds and can break but the more ap she has the stronger the shield. She has a skill shot cc and a very nice nuke that lowers magic resist for her team. Do not be fooled if built and played right she becomes a strong ap carry.

Lux is I can't explain it that well. She has some pretty nice nukes and cc's much like morgana but more skillshot orientated. To me she doesn't seem to fit the support role very well and I am sure some players will agree. People player mainly because of her awesome ultimate. Ap carry if anything to be honest although she scores some pretty high assists as well.

Anivia is one of the hardest champs to play not because of her skills but positioning mainly. You have to be at the right place at the right time using the right skills. High improvisation is required to play her effectively. She has to farm, gank, dish out damage in fights while trying not get targeted.But like with most Anivia players after tons of pracitce she can become or maybe is, one of the hardest ap carries in the game. What a good Anivia can do is pretty devastating.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2011

Morg : Teamfight based, a good snare, good shield, and good ultimate will lead your team to huge advantage.

Anivia: Damage based, decent cc control on enemy with slow and stun, wall can be used to catch enemy in the right hands.

Lux: Utility based, amazing zone, decent damage, decent shield, but late game damage falls off by quite a lot compare to the upper two.

Overall in different phrases:
Laning:

Best sustain: Morg
Best assist: Lux
Best damage: Anivia

Mid Game:
Best teamfight: Morg
Best damage and cc: Lux
Anivia: Still in semi-farming mode

Late Game:
Best teamfight: Anivia (a lot of damage and the slow is really good)
Best control: Morg (snare and ult)
Lack in both: Lux (decent shield but E and Q does too little damage, all damages are from ultimate)

Robotasaurusgeth

12-15-2011

I haven't played much Anivia, but I play a lot of Lux and Morgana. The main difference I've noticed between them is that Lux tends to be a lot more dependent on good items and farming than Morg. Now of course, farm doesn't hurt on either of them, but I can get by playing a semi-support Morgana and still feel really useful, while semi-support Lux tends to be rather lackluster.

I think the main difference is in their ults. While Lux's ult is fun and a great snipe shot for finishing, without a lot of magic penetration it often just doesn't seem to do enough damage late game unless you've been owning the whole time. Morgana on the other hand, regardless of farm, can still dish out a slow and an entire team stun, which benefits your team even if the damage is only mediocre.

i also tend to find Morgana's shield a lot more useful. The cc blocking is insanely good if used at the right time. I can't count the number of times I've saved allies from obliteration with good shield usage. Lux's on the other hand, generally isn't much more than a single hit worth of blocking, and while you can hit multiple people with it, lasts for such a short time it almost isn't worth using your mana on. Now, to be fair, if used properly, under the right circumstances, it can be substantially useful, but I've just seen the results of Morgana's shield to be far more effective.

Also, just sayin', the stacking magic resist debuff from Morg's pool tends to be way more useful than Lux's aoe slow, especially if there's an Anivia on your team.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the Lux Morgana debate. I can't really say whether Anivia is better or worse than either of them since I really haven't played her. I have a friend who's great with her though, and from what I've seen, she also requires a lot of farm to be powerful, but when she gets it, she's near unstoppable. Her wall is also exceptionally good at controlling opponents if you know how to use it.

I suppose the real question is, do you want to deal damage, or have the most utility? Anivia has the best damage out of the three, but I would say Morgana has the most usefulness to a team in any given situation. One of the reasons I love Morgana is because no matter the situation I can do something that's of value for my team. Anivia and Lux can only really build to be massive damage dealers if they are going to be useful, while Morgana can build to be more supporty or more AP carryish as needed.

Anyway, hope this helps your decision! Cheers.

Kai Allard Laio

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2011

These other guys really covered it well. my 2 cents...

Morgana -> Anivia -> Lux

Morg is the best pick of the 3, she's strong and it doesn't take tons of practice to get a good game for her. Anivia is the strongest of the 3, but has the highest skillcap. You need to practice a lot with her or you'll get facerolled or be out of mana the whole time (which leads to faceroll...). Lux is bad...overall... She can be good, and in the right hands she's a terror. But by time you get good with her...you could be doing so much more with someone else.

Lux is borderline a bad champ. Other do her roles better. Morg is the best choice here imo, BUT she's a big target for bans. I almost always ban her cuz her shield makes her almost ungankable. It's sooooo hard to stop her from farming, and if you somehow do shut her down, she has tons of utility in team fights and continues to be a terror. Because of that high profile target, I think that opens the door to Anivia. But be prepared to get raged at a lot by ppl while you learn her.

Wuumaster

12-15-2011

Mostly agreed with Kai here. Morg is an awesome farmer, very safe, with a sweet support ability to complement her damage. Comboing R->R Stun->Q->W is an almost guaranteed kill. Likewise, landing a Q at the start of a team fight can occasionally win the game outright. She's not invincible however.

Lux is (currently) a weaker Morg. Her range and burst are slightly higher, but overall damage is lower. It's still **** fun to snipe kills from across the river with the laser though.

Anivia, on the other hand... Lux and Morg are kinda Mages with some support utility, but Anivia is all Mage. Sure she's got a wall, a ton of slows, and a short stun, but they're all for the express purpose of letting the Bird do her thing - more damage! She's harder to learn and play though, and her stun usually needs to be paired with a well-placed Wall to be as useful as Morg's (at least as a stun, anyway). Keys to Anivia - 1) Learning R->E->Q->E combo timing & positioning, 2) Blue Buff, and 3) learning how to farm with auto-attacks until you get it.

Morg is likely the best choice 9 times out of 10, but Anivia is plenty powerful once you learn her. Lux is more for fun right now, though she's honestly not as far off as it may sound.

Afny

12-15-2011

Lux fits really well on a "poke" comp. A team that doesn't hard engage but has some sustain, range, and ranged CC can benefit extremely from a Lux. Her laning phase is pretty strong against most AP mids (hard to kill, hard to zone, can farm with E). Late game, instead of rushing towers or forcing engagements, "poke" enemy defenders at turrets using her long range skills (and other pokes on your team). Once they're low enough that one or two have to go back, you can generally take the tower, retreat, and repeat. Her similarity to Morganna is in her skillset only, and it's pretty superficial: a snare, a shield, and an aoe circle. Her role and strength are pretty different.

Morganna is more popular because she fits on pretty much every team. An ungankable laner that farms free and turns into a tanky AoE stunbot? Yes please. Her early game ganks are a lot stronger than Lux's solely due to her ultimate, and her teamfight presence is higher.

Anivia is probably stronger than either champ, but she's rarely banned because not many people play her optimally. She has high early game burst if you can manage to land a full combo (Q, Q to detonate, E or W into Ult, Q, Q to detonate, E). Her laning phase is strong thanks to her passive and her ability to farm post-6. Her utility in teamfights is unrivaled when compared to other AP carries: constant slows, high burst, and terrain generation. A coordinated team with a skillful Anivia is frightening, but there are a lot of variables.

TopazDragon

12-15-2011

Thanks for the advice everyone! You guys gave me exactly what I was looking for.

I think what I'm going to do is continue to play Morgana as my primary AP. If I get bored or if she is banned in a game I'll switch over to Lux.

Avivia is a bit to far out of my skill level right now. I've played with her once and while it was cool to play I can see that she's not really my style. I might pick her up in the future or play with her a bit more while she's free but for now I'll lay off.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

LexCor

12-15-2011

From the rest of the team's perspective, as I don't play many casters or support...
I prefer a good Lux over the other two. Her utility AND burst make hed fearsome. Her shield doesn't descriminate between damage types, and her passive makes her an excellent duolaner and poke artist.
When I see a good Lux player go at it, she breaks the game more consistantly than the other two. Makes me giddy just thinking about it.
That being said, Morgana is a more common, traditional pick because frankly she's easier to use. Anivia is on the other spectrum, with an unforgiving skill cap, and less direct utility.

The Jahns

12-16-2011

Lux is the best. Only champ I consistently play, and my best champ. Given a month or so of playing as her, assuming you have a semi-competent team, you should win every game. Her ults CD is ridiculously low, she has amazing burst, amazing range. She can shield your whole team, thought it is a weak shield. Just an overall amazing champ.