Dominion Maokai builds

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phynal

12-13-2011

I go Cata into RoA and Boots of Lucidity. I will get Frozen Heart and Odyn's at some point, but the order that I go after them really depends on who I am laning against.

Then it really is just counter building my opponent, or if they can't stop my push and they are having troubles with my harass then I go with tanky AP items like Abyssal, Rylai's, and in very, very rare occasions Zhonya's.

Mindllapse

12-13-2011

RoA -> tier1 boots -> glacial shroud -> cdr boots -> negatron cloak -> finish frozen heart -> abyssal scepter or odyn's veil depending on enemy team

ChaoticHypnotic

12-13-2011

Catalyst
Boots
RoA
Mercury Treads
Thornmail
FoN
Abyssal / Randuin / Odyn / Shurelya

9-21-0

IS1429332aa9b633

12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadpandas View Post
Notice a lot of you do not include Trinity Force in your builds. Why is that? To expensive?
I suppose it's because you only need a big sappling to push a creep wave and harass...
I don't know if your AA will do that much damage. You may try Sheen to Lich Bane...

ChaoticHypnotic

12-14-2011

Quote:
Notice a lot of you do not include Trinity Force in your builds. Why is that? To expensive?
Not too expensive. Just unnecessary.

Nunkuruji

12-14-2011

Typically I play him bottom lane, I don't keep the best record, since I often LAN group queue while we're often drinking... heavily... so my skill/"effective ELO" is quite erratic...

He's very adaptable to whoever you're getting matched up against. I typically build to counter my bottom lane opponent, then branch out to building items effective against the rest of the enemy team.

Always start Catalyst

Sunfire Cape -> Yorick
Frozen Heart -> Enemy team of many ad/aspd
Odyn's Veil -> Melee/low escape enemy champ, active+ult finisher burst combo
Hextech Sweeper -> Any enemy stealthers
Merc/Lucidity/Sorcerers I adapt to how much CC the enemy team has, where I'm planning to get my CDR, and pen.

He has a great base damage, so Sheen/Tri is good.

If there are a lot more squishier carry types, finishing RoA, Deathcap, Lichbane path is pretty good for just squashing them.

Scrubsicle

12-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticHypnotic View Post
Not too expensive. Just unnecessary.
The problem is that many of Maokai's abilities benefit from Trinity Force. You aren't just clearing minion waves, you're dueling with the other bottom champion.

You are Auto Attacking waaaay more than you think in a fight. This is where Phage is useful. The slow keeps people inside of your ult for a longer period of time, the damage helps your auto attacks which you should be doing all the time because of your passive. And health. Everyone loves health.

Sheen is good because it gives you mana and AP, two great things on Maokai, and allows you to do more damage with your auto attack every now and then. And Maokai is a spell spam champion, so you should have Sheen going off all the time.

The Zeal portion of Trinity Force is just a bonus, really. Movement speed to compliment your already slow movement, and attack speed so you can heal yourself faster in a team fight.

Ensign

12-14-2011

Building more offensive than you would in classic is the rule in Dominion. Rod of Ages + Sheen seems like a given; finish Triforce if you don't need to tank up immediately, otherwise get some defensive items (Odyn's Veil, Glacial Shroud, Thornmail, Spirit Visage).

CDR is important on Maokai; Ionians if you can afford to, Visage or Shroud when you can to support it; Kindlegem can be sat on if you just need some cheap CDR.

urmamasllama

12-14-2011

Quote:
Dcap > Triforce

Zammaster

09-04-2012

Hey Ya'll, so I can't say this about any other champion, but I have never seen another Maokai as good as me. I made a Maokai Dominion build because there wasn't one out. Check it out at http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...i-alive-173376

Or look at mobifire Maokai dominion guide, Best Maokai Alive
I start off with Giant belt, boots, sunfire cape, Deathfire Grasp,Rabadon's,Abyssal Scepter