Dominion Maokai builds

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TokinPrez

12-13-2011

Hey just wondering what people felt the best build for him is on Dom? I have been taking him bot and using the normal Chu8 build

RoA
Trinity

And from there depends

I am wondering though is RoA still worth it on Dom? Or would it be better to rush a Spirit Visage or Shurelias and then work into a Trinity Force? Or something else I am missing?

Thanks!

IS1429332aa9b633

12-13-2011

Yep, RoA is ok on Dominion, because you can start right away with a catalyst.
It depends on what you want to achieve after that.
I'd go more tanky with Frozen Heart and Odyn's Veil, then Void Staff and maybe Sheen to Lich Bane.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/item-purchase-planner#&item=39-40-44-55-42-124-81-98
Before Void Staff, it's under 11k, doable in a 20min game.

Masteries: 9/21/0
http://thefwcentral.com/lol/#&trees=1-0-3-0-0-4-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-3-3-0-4-0-2-1-1-0-0-0-3-3-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

Runes: MrPen reds, HP/level yellows, CDR/level blues, flat AP quints.

With runes and masteries, you can get 20% CDR at level 18, and 20% from Frozen Heart.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

12-13-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

catalyst is an amazing starting item, but i've stopped upgrading it to roa. i think veil is the better upgrade in most cases. even if you don't want veil, the 1710g you save by not upgrading it will buy you a needless large rod (for the same amount of ap but instant) and get you started on a deathcap or hourglass much sooner. alternatively, you can just start building other items like revolver or one of the scepters.

i mean, the 340 health from roa is useful and all, but i can't justify a 10 minute charge time being worth setting back the rest of my build. at least, in regards to taking him bot.

just my personal take on the item.

TokinPrez

12-13-2011

Out of curiosity what is your typical Mao build ricklessabandon?

Medusa

12-13-2011

I like to focus more on tanky then AP items so he can just guard a point with his ult for a stupidly long time.

often HoG+boots to start (can go Cata for Odyns instead) > Merc > SV > Randuins > Odyns Veil > Aegis > FoN

most likely not in that particular order each time though, il usually get Wardens Mail pretty early on depending on the team.

IS1429332aa9b633

12-13-2011

gp5 aren't that useful in Dominion.
You should start right away with a catalyst if you go bot lane.

Aegis is too mid-game team oriented. I like it a lot in SR, but not in Dominion, especially if you play bot lane.

GwynApNudd

12-13-2011

catalyst into ROA. Boots of lucidity.
Then it varies depending on team make up, but often for dominion, I find Thornmail is appropriate for most situations. Then Odyn's veil. If you are suffering sufficient Magic harrass, I would probably go force of nature first for the high regen.
Alternatively, Frozen Heart is wonderful on Maokai.
Sunfire cape is ok, but often you don't need the damage, and it is not better than the chain vest and giants belt by itself otherwise. Still great if they have a good mix of damage type, because it'll make you have higher effective health for both AD and AP, and the AOE damage will help stop caps while you are on cooldown.

I hardly ever get anything damage wise beyond the ROA unless they are already having trouble killing me and I feel like I need more damage.

Going straight(ish) tank will allow you to deal with pretty much anyone bot I find. And if you are going Top, being a tank seems even more important.

Scrubsicle

12-13-2011

Catalyst into RoA

Mercury Treads or Sorc Shoes, depending on the amount of CC or AP on enemy team.

Trinity Force next. That item gives waaaaay too many useful stats to Maokai to pass up.

Abyssal Scepter after that. It gives the MR to compliment Maokai's naturally high Armor and 3/4 of Maokai's spells are AoE and AP.

Now, I hate myself for not going Frozen Heart after this, but I like going Randuin's Omen a lot of the time. A little CDR, Health, Armor, HP5, and two useful effects for fighting people as a tank.

My last item, if I ever get there, is usually Rylai's. AP, Health and a slow that procs off your spells.

Many of these items are designed to keep you alive and to keep enemies inside of your Ult for as long as possible. Many people never think twice about Maokai's ult, and I've won far too many fights under a tower in a 2v1 because of Vengeful Maelstrom.

TokinPrez

12-13-2011

Notice a lot of you do not include Trinity Force in your builds. Why is that? To expensive?

WaterD103

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2011

http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=10702