Questions on Veigar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Erieya

12-13-2011

Ok, so a while back I started playing with Veigar and I really like using him. The combination of high dmg output at range with an AoE stun works out really nicely. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Whats the difference between spellvamp and lifesteal?
2 Does the magic pen on items stack? (AKA Voidstaff x2)
3. Should I stack anything other than AP?

So far, Ive just been getting the Boots of Swiftness and Elissa's Miracle and then just getting Needlessly Large Rods and a Voidstaff or two. If anyone has any suggestion let me know. Oh, and Im not interested in being a tank really

Cenerae

12-13-2011

1. Spell vamp and lifesteal do the same thing - they heal you for a % of the damage done. Lifesteal is for autoattacks and on-hit effect based skills (such as Ezreal's Mystic Shot). Spell vamp only applies to spells (even if they deal physical damage).

2. items that state they have a unique passive (such as void staff) don't stack. If you can get the same stat from two different items (say, haunting guise and sorceror's shoes), it will stack.

3. Veigar benefits a lot from a deathfire grasp, and may want to get tanky items like rod of ages, rylai's scepter, or zhonya's hourglass. What you build generally depends on the game though, except for your 'core' items which you usually get every game.

Boots of swiftness and elesia's aren't that good for Veigar. If you want mana, get an early Catalyst, to upgrade to rod of ages later. Sorc shoes give you more damage. Stacking needlessly large rods is a bad idea - get whole items, not partial ones. The benefits are far higher.

Erieya

12-13-2011

ty

OptimisticC

12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erieya View Post
Ok, so a while back I started playing with Veigar and I really like using him. The combination of high dmg output at range with an AoE stun works out really nicely. Anyway, I have a few questions.

1. Whats the difference between spellvamp and lifesteal?
2 Does the magic pen on items stack? (AKA Voidstaff x2)
3. Should I stack anything other than AP?

So far, Ive just been getting the Boots of Swiftness and Elissa's Miracle and then just getting Needlessly Large Rods and a Voidstaff or two. If anyone has any suggestion let me know. Oh, and Im not interested in being a tank really
1. Spellvamp works off spells, lifesteal works off autoattacks (and spells with physical damage bases). So spellvamp is recommended on mages like Veigar.

2. Magic Pen do not stack additively, but multiplicatively. The max you can get is 49% on normal mages, but Xerath can get more due to his passive MRpen on his siege mode. Also, pay attention to item descriptions. For example, Void Staff has a "unique passive", meaning it cannot stack with other items. For another, Zhonya's Active has a "unique active", meaning you cannot stack multiple hourglasses for multiple actives.

3. Depends on who you're playing. Since this concerns Veigar, yes, stack AP. But since his Q can give free AP, you pretty much have free rein to get other items before getting even more AP, like Banshee's Veil for more survivability. I've seen really strange builds, though, but be sure to try them in Co-op first, as being completely useless in normal/ranked can ruin the experience for everybody.

Erieya

12-14-2011

Currently my item list end game looks like this ..

Boots of Swiftness
Elissa's Miracle
Phantom Dancer
Void Staff
Needlessly Large Rod (x2)

Broken Umbrella

12-14-2011

Guessing you are new to lol.

1. Replace Boots of Swiftness with Sorcerer's boots. More damage from spells.
2. Elisas's miracle is bad, replace it with a catalyst.
3. NEVER get phantom dancer on someone who has skills that use ability power.
4. Dont get void staff...until end game..
5. Finish upgrading the rods into a deathcap and zhonya's hourglass.

Try this website.
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=1589

If you want more strength early game, a Deathfire Grasp may be beneficial.
Otherwise, follow this guide and it is GG.

Erieya

12-14-2011

Im sorta new. Havent PvPd a whole bunch just mostly co-op. Thanks for the guide link.

Bobthecannibal69

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2011

well this may not be very helpful but if ur gud in lane (very gud) and when u return to base, i usually have enough money to straight away buy a needlessly large rod (around the ten minute mark, maybe a little after), if u have some problems in lane these are a few solutions
mana- tear of the goddess, chalice of harmony, better farming techniques
heavy harrassing- doran rings or more careful farming (dont let them get near you XD)

Wuumaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2011

Spell Vamp heals you for a percentage of the damage done by Abilities. Doesn't matter if the Ability does Magical or Physical damage, Spell Vamp heals you. Doesn't work for items though (No Sunfire + WotA for you!). Note that Spell Vamp is cut to 33% on AoE spells, regardless of the number of targets they actually hit (Veigar's W always heals for 33% of the damage dealt, even if it only hits one target).

Magic Pen does stack, but item effects marked 'Unique' don't. The %MPen from Offense Mastery stacks with the %MPen from a Void Staff*, but two Void Staves don't stack (You'll still get the AP from the second Void, but it's still not a good idea). Likewise, the flat MPen from Sorcerer's Shoes will stack with the flat MPen from Haunting Guise, but not with a second Sorc Shoes.

The safe build is Boots of Swiftness + 3 health pots, building Catalyst into Rod of Ages, then Rabadon's Deathcap. That's a ton of AP and some Health & Mana to keep you blasting for a while. Once you get good (or greedy, or cocky...), rushing Deathfire Grasp into Deathcap blows stuff up real good. Very squishy though, don't get sneezed on. Both builds can use Sorc Shoes for the MPen, upgrading to Void Staff if the valuable enemy targets get more than 70~ MR. Boots of Lucidity offer more frequent blasting, while Boots of Mobility lets you get into position to stun quicker.

* They stack multiplicatively - 15% MPen + 40% MPen totals 49% rather than 55%. Still good though. Flat MPen stacks additively, aka as you would expect it to.

Mishifus

01-03-2012

uhm if you want the extra movement speed on casters (since i saw you like phantom dancer and boots of swiftness) you could get sorc boots + ms quintescense + lich bane.

I know ppl are free to experimenting many builds with the champs they play. However, due to Veigars very weak early game, he is restricted to some itemization paths. The most optimal are rushing a deathfire grasp followed by a rabbadons deathcap or rushing a cap and following with DFG. After those items and boots (which are the core items for any veigar) you should get a magic penetration item (void staff or abyssal scepter depending on circumstances). Now after all that you get the item that best fits the scenario and your playstyle. At this moment you could get your desired extra movement speed with lich banes. Its a viable item on Veigar, which makes his tower pushing/ baroning very strong, as well as extending his burst and making him more valuable when DFG and he's ulti are on cooldown AND making positioning easier. Well, if you have any questions on veigar, do msg me ingame, as I play veigar consistently on ranked games (1700 ish).

Hope that helps