Countering Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seligas

12-12-2011

I recently had some trouble fighting Gangplank in a 1v1 lane. I was playing as Renek and he was zoning me pretty hard. Rather than use his Q to farm like I usually see gp do, he'd pop me with it on CD and run me out of the lane.

I tried doing my usual harass combo, slice & dice in, stun, cull the meek, slice & dice out; that only got me killed. So I was forced to sit on the tower taking Q hits every time I farmed before Shaco would come in and help him mop up with a tower dive. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

What are some effective counters versus him? I usually have no problem laning solo top, and although my team kept treating me like a pile of **** for losing my lane I feel bad for letting them down.

N0vaFlame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

Be aggressive. He has oranges to keep his health up, but Gangplank actually has severe mana issues early game, especially if he's using his oranges for sustain. Renekton, on the other hand, is a bit less powerful at first, but doesn't have any mana to run out of.

The other thing is that you were probably pulling a lot of minion aggro. I would guess that's where a lot of the damage came from. Try not to harass him unless his minion wave is running low, and keep in mind that he doesn't have the same limitation (as his Q doesn't pull minion aggro IIRC).

lawlizeasy

12-12-2011

As someone who plays GP I can tell you right now there is not much to do as another melee, if he doesn't have to use parrley to last hit ( common vs range heroes) he will use it as very cheap harass. If it crits, you will very likely have to back. I've also noticed his passive is insane for trading hits. It deals extra damage and slows, so if you are losing the trade you will likely take 3 more hits. You should play defensively and just try to last hit and not engage.

Seligas

12-12-2011

@ N0vaFlame I was trying to play aggressively in the hopes it would give him cause to back up a little. But instead he just sat there and backhanded me back. We dished out even damage to each other, but his Q ensured that I lost more when I couldn't fight back.

Although the minions might explain at least one exchange I remember going poorly. It's easy to forget they're there - I can usually scare people with my harass and only take minor minion damage in the exchange.

@lawlizeasy Yeah, I'd take a hit from his Q and get slowed; then he would start chasing after me. If I didn't run back to the tower I would die to Qs and auto-attacks. And I mean he would literally blow right past the minion wave and chase me all the way to the edge of tower range, but not into it. "Stay there." is what he was telling me. : \

Jagunço do Tripé

12-12-2011

Irelia can Beat him in lane, but u can't underestimate his Passive Oranges and Q
The W passive is awelsome against his low CD Q (realy anoying)
Riven can lane against him pretty well, but she cant kill him cuz he just run away, outlane him and deny his gold as much u can

Veilrez

12-12-2011

It's hard to harrass GP cuz of his heal. You have to hold out until you feel you have an advantage, like after he pops his Q and dive in on him. Also try to keep him seperated from his other lane friend (if he has one) if he doesn't have support he's going down.

Impawsible

12-12-2011

Play passive, kill creeps.
Playing aggressive against a gp gets you killed.

Pilige

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesiaz View Post
Play passive, kill creeps.
Playing aggressive against a gp gets you killed.
That depends on who you're playing as. Garen, Nasus, and Yorick can aggresively lane against a GP. The best thing you can do is start of with a dorans shield and armor yellows. Armor pretty much eats up his damage.

I don't play much Renekton, but you might be better of with ignite/exhaust...both skills (especially combined) are death to and GP, Yi, Tryn, etc.

Ow My Feels

12-12-2011

Take away his oranges so he won't be k.

Pilige

12-12-2011

did someone seriously go through and downvote all the responses?