Server shutdown during games Riot!?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dah Bunneh

Recruiter

12-13-2011

First Riot says the patch is on the 14th and today is the 13th, then they say the shutdown will be around 1am, yet what happened to letting games finish that are currently going on? This is the first time it's happened where instead of just games not being allowed to start, they just completely shut down the servers without notice. Do they think they're just better than everyone now and can do what they want?

Sashirakin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2011

They warned us at least two hours ahead of time. Don't start a game if it's getting close to shutdown time.

SockSniffer

12-13-2011

be thankfull

I heard world of warcraft servers can go down for up to 24 hours at times, and even more, rarely

Kurokoshika

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-13-2011

It's been a few patches now that they've been doing hard shutdowns where games that are in progress will end and there will be no stats recorded. It's not without notice, either. It does say Ranked at the button but again, it's been a fair number of patches since they've started.

Cmdr Sniffles

12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockSniffer View Post
be thankfull

I heard world of warcraft servers can go down for up to 24 hours at times, and even more, rarely
I played during WotLK and I never experienced anything so severe. Perhaps something changed with Cataclysm or my memory is bad.

MØrior

12-13-2011

maybe they mean the 14th in Korea?

Zenbliss

12-13-2011

I've NEVER had 24 hours of WoW down time... You sir need a clue... And yes it did suck because we had 4 points on Dom left @ 4:04 eastern time. Shut down! My bad though...

Patroks

12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dah Bunneh View Post
First Riot says the patch is on the 14th and today is the 13th, then they say the shutdown will be around 1am, yet what happened to letting games finish that are currently going on? This is the first time it's happened where instead of just games not being allowed to start, they just completely shut down the servers without notice. Do they think they're just better than everyone now and can do what they want?
Please get your facts straight...The Ahri and christmas stuff are being released on the 14th, however, the balance changes and other small things are happening tonight. They have also clearly stated that they would start shutting down servers at 11:45. They have work to do, like getting the patch out on time, and they can't afford to wait for all games past their server shut down time to finish.

StarShade

12-13-2011

They've been doing hard shut downs for the last few patches. You shouldn't have been in a ranked game though, so why does it matter?

kyrys

12-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SockSniffer View Post
be thankfull

I played pretty frequently during cata and I can't even remember a server going down [edit: unannounced] o-0

edit: and when they were down for maintenance, it was usually announced well in advance and was very short