How I play Janna

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RyuuKitten

10-05-2009

Maybe someone can tell me the "correct" way to do it, if there is such a thing. She was the second hero I tried, and I keep coming back to her. (allbeit sivir is really fun too)

I try to lane with a physical DPS of some kind, as they benefit offensively from the shield the most, although laning with a caster of some kind can work, and soloing is fairly easy too.

I last hit creeps, etc etc. If solo I shield myself and harass the hell out of them as they can't do much to me. The snare, tornado and shield make for excellent harassing. If I'm with a partner I'll try to focus a bit more on collecting gold while letting them harass them and shielding them while tossing out snares and tornados.

I've tried a bunch of different item builds, and have come to the conclusion that the most beneficial thing I can do in a team fight is to support and to stay alive. Thus, stack HP and defensive stats.

Skill build: I pick up the shield first, followed by the torando(Q) then the snare(W). Leveling the heal every time I can, but focusing primarily on an even split between the three. If they're pressuring me more, I'll pick up more ranks of shield earlier, etc.

Item build:
Maki Pendent First.
Build Philosopher's Stone - The stone + Shield makes you untouchable at early levels. Plus it will pay for itself by the time we sell it.

Choose between building an Aegis or a Chalice first, I usually go with the chalice for being able to harass more (More spamming tornados, weee)

Then build the other you didn't yet.

By this point you'll need to pick up boots(before wasn't a big deal due to zephyr passive). I go with the boring Boots of Swiftness (movement 3), the +33AP on sorceror's is useful, but I'd much rather get the hell away faster when they decide they want to kill me.

Next I sell the philosoher's stone and build soul shroud, as the CD reduction is an aura, in addition it gives me health.

Next I either go frozen heart (for the armor, CD reduction and the passive -att speed for enemies aura) or rod of ages (for the health/mana/AP)

after that I build the other.

So the final build looks like this:

Boots of Swiftness
Chalice of Harmony
Aegis of the Legion
Soul Shroud
Frozen Heart
Rod of Ages

Giving you
Enhanced Movement 3
+1290 HP
+925 Mana
+300 Hp, 300 Mana and 30 AP after 30 minutes of Rod
+Totaly awesome mana regen via chalice
+145 Armor
+80 Magic Resist
-40% CD Reduction
-15% CD Reduction to Allies
-25% Attack Speed to Enemies
+8 Damage to Allies

This gives me plenty of surviability, I give my allies more push, I slow down my opponents damage, and I become a rather unattractive target to try and attack unless I'm focused. Which generally I can see melee converging on me so I pop a shield, or cleanse and kite. If they deside to not attack me, I'm mainly there to snare, disrupt and shield and can be done well enough with low AP levels, as they -will- try to focus you, and at that point it's good to have the extra health and armor I've found.

I don't really get kills of course, but I do get plenty of assists with shielding, autoattacking and disrupting with Q. I personally feel that stackign defense to stay alive in team fights when it matters is the way to go.

For summoner spells I run Cleanse and Heal, as being able to cleanse out of the disable and kite the 3 melee about to bash my face in has saved me plenty of times. And heal helps push for a bit longer before having to pull out, or saving that guy with that heal -now- when falling back.

Runes, I stack HP and Armor for more defense, and Masteries I go down utility for the -15% reduction on heal and cleanse (and extra xp/gold) though going down defense worked well too it seemed.

Now tell me I'm doing it wrong and how I'm supposed to do it :P

Atmosfear

10-05-2009

Your build is strictly support and certainly viable.

I stack AP items on Janna since her Gale is a great spell for pushing lanes as well as giving her slow respectable damage. Also AP makes her shield more effective for saving allies and towers.

Brutal Gladiator Fojji

10-05-2009

You should only ever get 1 point in tornado to start. Either max out shield or snare first depending on team comps. You should drop Philosopher's Stone and just rush Chalice. Chalice will keep your mana up for the rest of the game and the stone is a waste of gold. After that though your item build is pretty solid.

Tanis

10-05-2009

i usually nvr get Boots of Swiftness since the snare increases ur movement speed + ur passive. Like brutal stated more AP = better shield. Rushing Chalice is he most amzing thing

RyuuKitten

10-05-2009

Alright so just skip the stone and rush chalice, sounds good. I mainly get the boots of swiftness for two reasons: first off it lets me get away faster, and second it gets me back to where my teammates are if I have to base or something. I could always go sorceror's shoes, as they give AP for everything.

popo

10-05-2009

I play Janna heavy AP, usually my build order is:
Mana Manipulator
Sorc Boots
Demonic Codex
Soul Shroud
Archangels

This gives plenty of CD reduction, a fair amount of AP (plus 78 from Runes) and enough Mana regen.

If the game looks like I will be a better use to my team as support, I go with this build:
Chalice
Swiftness
Frozen Heart
Banshees

Another Build I have used and found decent for a multipurpose Janna is this:
Chalice
Boots (whatever kind)
Rod of Ages
Frozen Heart

I prefer the high AP build, as she gets great scaling. The only downside is not that Mana can become tight without Chalice.

Brutal Gladiator Fojji

10-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujinx View Post
Alright so just skip the stone and rush chalice, sounds good. I mainly get the boots of swiftness for two reasons: first off it lets me get away faster, and second it gets me back to where my teammates are if I have to base or something. I could always go sorceror's shoes, as they give AP for everything.
Either go Sorcs or Mercury's for boots depending on what the other team consists of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo
I prefer the high AP build, as she gets great scaling. The only downside is not that Mana can become tight without Chalice.
She has rather awful scaling for all of her abilities, and it is generally best to go support/tank items such as Soul Shroud or Aegis.

RyuuKitten

10-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal Gladiator Fojji View Post
Either go Sorcs or Mercury's for boots depending on what the other team consists of.
Merc's are the +MR right? So if they've got things like veiger and annie running around, pretty much?

Brutal Gladiator Fojji

10-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuujinx View Post
Merc's are the +MR right? So if they've got things like veiger and annie running around, pretty much?
Pretty much any major AP team, also helps to get out of snares. My Janna is pretty much a beefy tank/support at endgame. Usually initiate if we don't got a true tank, Janna is amazing at splitting the other team apart and keeping them off squishys. Even without AP her shield can hold its own when you factor in MR and Armor, and it can always be used as a DPS boost on a carry. Janna is truly a game changer, only lost 1 game out of my countless that I have played her.

RyuuKitten

10-05-2009

So after playing a few more games, rushing chalice is a significant improvement over the stone, and it probably nets me more gold then it as well simply because of the extra staying power it gives.

So thanks for the advice :P