Adobe Air

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tHEkROGE

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

While I think the OP is very misinformed as the the function of Adobe Air when it comes to LoL, I agree that Adobe Air was not the optimal choice for a large-scale game platform. Hindsight is 20/20 however, and had Riot known they would be servicing 32 million players they wouldn't have gone with the cheaper and less extensible alternative. Some things to keep in mind:

1.) For the things Adobe Air is good at, easy development using Flex and Actionscript, which (I won't get too technical) runs with relatively good speed, and a strong list of core functionalities, it is REALLY good at them. It is, however, EXTREMELY limited when it comes to adding features not already supported, because developers will have to mess with native code which, put simply, isn't simple

2.) There is already I'm sure a humongous code-base for the platform that would take months if not years to completely transfer over to a brand new platform. This means tons of time for our platform devs spent on something that will give an extremely dimished return compared to the work put into it. It would make future development much faster and make those developments run quicker (IE, no multi-threading with Adobe Air, huge let down!)

For all I know though, they could have been working on this for months already and are just waiting to unveil something, but I wouldn't count on it. It would be cool, but don't count on it. For the time being, let's just trust our developers that they will be able to keep improving the platform, as it has been improving tremendously in the last few months.

serverny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-12-2011

Any serious programmer who worked with Adobe Air in his career will say you that it is complete joke.

tHEkROGE

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by serverny View Post
Any serious programmer who worked with Adobe Air in his career will say you that it is complete joke.
Any "serious programmer" can make due with any tools given to them, whether they like it or not. Most of the time you don't get to choose the environment you are developing on, and you better **** well be flexible to deal with whatever is thrown at you, good or bad, hence why Riot is still developing on Adobe Air, they have a huge codebase already for it and a lot of developers who know how to use it, and use it to it's best.

Raptoreyes

12-12-2011

Saying Adobe Air is bad, is as uncontroversial as one can make. The longer the player has played LoL the more likely they are to agree with me on this. Still I have been seeing improvement in the number of bugs that make the game unplayable until fixed. I have to assume Adobe has been retro-fitting their client to the extent they can with some mixed results. None the less the performance of LoL has been much better lately then when I first started playing. Adobe air is hardly robust enough to run on this scale but Riot was conned into buying it by some silver tonged sales rep and the past glories of the adobe name brand in PHOTO EDITING. Now they will likely have to live with that decision along with the scorn of those in the player base who know what is going on.

SoloDragoon

12-12-2011

They won't so many threads about it. To costly and man time to remake it....

I like how tweetdeck is moving away from adobe air, at least some people are learning about how much **** it is.

Ellrin

Recruiter

12-12-2011

Its not that hard to move off of. You have to understand that adobe air is basically a shiny web browser, that suffers serious memory management issues due to underdevelopment. Riot should have no issues moving it over to a more stable platform.

EnoCocytus

11-01-2012

Agreed. As a web develpoer myself... I have to say... you guys need to rebuild everything in front end and fire your whole FLEX team. This champion selection breakdown every 10 mins... Full of bugs ... and new bugs every release!!!

Unicorn of Doom

11-03-2012

I would enjoy seeing a full screen game client/store. Not sure if Adobe Air can do this or not, it should be able to, but I would like it better.