WCG is preposterous, @Riot This makes me sad all day

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blue165

12-10-2011

Riot,
I know this isn't your fault. However this level ineptitude WCG has shown prior and during this ****show of a tournament is beyond ridiculous. When the COMMENTATORS are openly taking shots every other minute at their inability to have camera control, the camera's random pan aways to spectators during the matches, low quality of the streams, inability to set and follow a schedule, holding games (including Semi and Grand Final games) off stage without any commentating, there is a problem. O and lets not forget the fact they refused to restart when TheOddOne D/Ced within the first two minutes in the Third/fourth place Finals. I don't know what you can do in the future. But if there is anything, please do.

Sincerely,
Blue165 and likely everyone else who was watching.

larkhill

12-10-2011

i dunno... that baby they showed was pretty cute...

no but seriously, i doubt riot has any control over who does it. just be happy u can see it and get english commentary at all...

i did find it a bit disrespectful that the commentator openly insulted the director and the cameraman throughout wcg. i realize how bad it was but till, u cant just insult them like that.

Blue165

12-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkhill View Post
i dunno... that baby they showed was pretty cute...

no but seriously, i doubt riot has any control over who does it. just be happy u can see it and get english commentary at all...

i did find it a bit disrespectful that the commentator openly insulted the director and the cameraman throughout wcg. i realize how bad it was but till, u cant just insult them like that.
I'm actually not blaming Riot for this. As I said there was nothing they could do. Its dreadfully apparent the entire event was based around Starcraft2, which makes sense given the location. But honestly, this is not doing riot any favors.

larkhill

12-10-2011

i dont know if the locals could really appreciate how bad the commentary was. everyone online is familiar with riot enough to know how well they do things when they have control. everyone at the event has a live feed and doesnt have to deal with the director's nonsense.

the only people that riot might look bad to are the fans watching the english stream that arent aware of riot, and thats probably a very low number as new fans would probably not even know about wcg or care to stay up and watch it.

Elenia Andras

12-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue165 View Post
Riot,
I know this isn't your fault. However this level ineptitude WCG has shown prior and during this ****show of a tournament is beyond ridiculous. When the COMMENTATORS are openly taking shots every other minute at their inability to have camera control, the camera's random pan aways to spectators during the matches, low quality of the streams, inability to set and follow a schedule, holding games (including Semi and Grand Final games) off stage without any commentating, there is a problem. O and lets not forget the fact they refused to restart when TheOddOne D/Ced within the first two minutes in the Third/fourth place Finals. I don't know what you can do in the future. But if there is anything, please do.
Camera control -> I agree that they could've just have a separate "spectator account" for Korean and English so they have control over what they're commentating.

Low quality of stream -> I agree that it could've been solved with a separate "spectator account" like how Riot streamed off-stage stuff. It is rather weird that they have to be streaming the same thing as what's shown on the stage screen for some unknown reason. Maybe they'll do something for WCG 2012.

Scheduling -> This is where I partially disagree. For an event that has A LOT of different games going on, I think WCG's scheduling was quite good. LOL is not the only game there, and as we know from past LOL tournaments, games can be longer than expected, and later games can start late and whatnot. The unfortunate thing is the 6PM local time limit for the last day of WCG (today) due to venue (again, not uncommon for any event) and that later rounds are Bo3.

Restart refusal -> I agree with you, and definitely weird such decision is made even after having like 5 referees there. It might be time constraint once again, but unfair.

larkhill

12-11-2011

what was weird about the stream quality was that some online sites had a lot better quality. i was watching the twitch.tv stream of the finals and their quality was MUCH better. i could actually see what was going on and read the numbers. it was in korean tho so i sued the other streams audio and muted twitch.tv

DrunkunDrip

12-11-2011

I just dont understand why the quality was so bad - even the starcraft streams were rubbish.

After watching what Valve did with Dota 2's The International i was expecting something similar from WCG but man did they fail... Also what was with the Final 1st game being played offstage... Especially when the main stage is just running ads...

Also the scheduling was a shambles - they didnt move anything forward except the LoL final... there were plenty of other times where ad loops were running constantly...

y2khippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-11-2011

I cannot even find the recordings of the final games. The site was horrible with the listing of games and so hard to figure out, i had to click on what looked to be LoL games to hope it was english.

One major question though is from the 3/4th place 3rd game. Who was left commentating that game? And who out of the commentators from the previous 2 games in that match left this person alone to live commentate this? From what i can figure they left to just spectate, and not commentate on the final when they still had a job to finnish as their match went to a 3rd game.

The comments made about how bad the camera control was were valid though not very perfessional. The number of missed fights was far too high in the games i watched. In other tournaments i have watched Riot has 2 spectators for the commentry team to make sure they they can spot everything going on.

The non restart after a disconnect in under the first 5 mins (before first kill) has been the standard rulling for as long as i can remember. And if the game is past this point or first kill has been taken then a pause is the option to be used.

This just adds to the level of unprofessional adjudication and officials shown in each stage of this event. From the qualifyers changing rules ablib in the North American qualifyers, to the event managers not having a clue in the Australian qualifyers.

Riot you need to take some responsibiliy and ownership of your product when it comes to how tournaments are done with the game you created. I say this because recently your product due to others peoples ineptitude is being presented in a very poor light.