Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Olaf Counters

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akwaduk

Recruiter

07-08-2010

What are some good olaf counters? I want to know because end game he seems to run through the base screaming at us in a similar manner tryndamere does, only that he can't be stunned and such.

P.S. This is by no means a QQ thread I just want to know

Djall

07-08-2010

AS MAGE LIKE RYZE
the simpelst way is that his ulti only is on for 3 to 4 seconds and is then easily killed with a stun and some spells besides to survive him you only need flash or ghost as summoner spell or good shoes to run or as mage some health with rod of ages and crystal cepter rather easily to get

AS DAMAGE DEALER LIKE ASHE
why do you care? at late game you deal 1000 damage minimum per hit if rigth build so olaf gets pawned before he comes to you, on earlyer game ghost or flash as summoner spell and good boots and he cant reach you

AS TANK LIKE RAMUS
get health at beginning a good health item like Warmorgs armor then after an armor item an magic resist item like nature power and you shoudnt be able to get so easy killed from him

M4ve12ick0

07-08-2010

Quote:
Djall:
AS MAGE LIKE RYZE
the simpelst way is that his ulti only is on for 3 to 4 seconds and is then easily killed with a stun and some spells besides to survive him you only need flash or ghost as summoner spell or good shoes to run or as mage some health with rod of ages and crystal cepter rather easily to get

AS DAMAGE DEALER LIKE ASHE
why do you care? at late game you deal 1000 damage minimum per hit if rigth build so olaf gets pawned before he comes to you, on earlyer game ghost or flash as summoner spell and good boots and he cant reach you

AS TANK LIKE RAMUS
get health at beginning a good health item like Warmorgs armor then after an armor item an magic resist item like nature power and you shoudnt be able to get so easy killed from him

All your counters fail.

1st. His ult at last rank is 8 seconds. Unless you can run around for 8 seconds without getting hit by him, he's gonna kill you.
2nd. He will not get pawned before he reaches ashe. given his ult allows him to bypass her slow arrows and stun arrows, and olaf is one of the strongest chasers in the game

Rammus is the only charater that ever gives me a hard time as olaf. I usually end up damaging myself more than him.

noodle0117

07-08-2010

There really is only one option.
Out dps him.
Recommended way to do it is to get warwick, master yi, or tristana and get a madred's bloodrazor.
Olaf tends to stack hp since it lets him hit harder, which means that madred's will hit truckloads off of him.
As tough as it sounds, Olaf really doesn't have any other direct counters...

Salacavalini

07-08-2010

Blind him if you can. Exhaust works.

adren

07-08-2010

1. Exhaust is a wonderful thing. Shuts him down and gives you an escape window when he can't land that slow-proc.

2. Set up wards. He needs to get close to you and stay close to you to deal any real damage. Wards where he might jump out will give you the headstart you need to get to the safety of a tower. For early-game, while his axe seems imposing, it doesn't match up to real early game harass, and Olaf can be very "one-trick" if that's all he's building early on.

3. Don't put yourself into a situation where you wouldn't be able to get away once he smacks you with Frozen Hammer/Lizard Buff. If you're in enemy territory and you're not a champion with good escape options, you're putting yourself at great risk if Olaf pops up beside you.

4. Make a mental note of what his cooldown for his Ult is at.

5. If he has low mana in early and mid-game, eat him. He's useless in that situation, and Olafs tend to get a little overconfident. One time, it ended up just being me as Crank laning against Olaf with nothing but Sheen and Boots I, the Olaf had Phage and Boots II. Olaf was sitting there hacking away at minions at the half-way point, but didn't have any mana. Popped Ghost, popped Fist and just beelined for him into the mob. I think he was surprised, thinking I wasn't capable of anything but Rocket Grab > Fist. Lulz ensued.

Generally speaking, like all the other Melee-only DPS, he's pretty ineffective until he gets to late game. Learn to harass him with a good early game character to shut down his gold farming. If he's jungling, you'll just have to pay attention for when he jumps into the game and get him then with good tactics. If you don't have Exhaust for when he jumps in, buy a single Sight Ward and drop it in the bushes.

Pyxidis

07-08-2010

Kite the **** out of him...

BigDaddyDelish

07-08-2010

I have to agree, exhaust works wonders. While he is immune to the slow of it, he still misses because of blind.

I don't really know why, but that's what I've come to realize through my time as Olaf.

Another thing, is that Olafs LOVE to stack the living **** out of hp, getting items like Frozen Mallet, and Leviathon, and adding Atmas on top of it to give him some insane dps. This is easily countered by buying a bloodrazor, even with so much damage and hp you will probably still out dps him.

That being said, Olaf is still an amazing melee dps, enough to counter Jax if not defeat him in some aspects.

Qbr12

07-08-2010

play DPS kog maw, you can combine the passive effect of madreds with his w ability to deal 10% of any champs max health per hit. If you get 2.0 attack speed you can kill him in 5 seconds.

Craixis

07-08-2010

Outside of Summoner Spells:
Now, Olaf is a tough champion to fight one vs one... heck, even with a team around you, he can do some crazy damage before going down (he's also almost certain to get someone as well).
The only thing I can really suggest is to try to get him to blow Rag early, if he blows it too soon (say, he ghost/rags and charges in, instead of just ghosting in and popping Rag at the last avaliable second) he ends up becoming less threatening (Basically, hit him with a CC like Morgana's Dark Binding or Ryze's Rune Prison.)
Its not the best solution, but its one of a few.

FF him, ehh... not the best tactic, as he gets stronger while he gets weaker (and with Rag, it means you're gonna have a viking whose stealing all your health and ignoring damage for 8 seconds), you have to get him alone and kite him around, avoiding the spammable undertow (This is very difficult, as he's one of the best Anti Kite champs in the game). If he throws an undertow, run away from the AXE, not Olaf... he's relying heavily on Undertow to keep you in range, and the further you get from Olaf, the harder it is to hit you with an Undertow, and the less undertows Olaf is throwing, the easier it is to get away from Olaf.
If Olaf reaches his Axe, Undertow shaves 6 seconds off its cooldown, meaning undertow will either be back up instantly, or in a second... making it important to get away from that Axe if you can. If you're in point blank range of Olaf, and you don't have a flash skill, you're hooped...

Olaf's only hard counter is a blind, making Teemo/exhaust incredibly powerful against him. Lots of people have been igniting me or using anti healing skills against me when I'm on Olaf, though I'm not sure if that effects life steal (Spell vamp maybe, but Life steal is a gray area).

If you're fighting a smart Olaf, Mandred's will lose its luster as he'll probably pick up merc treads or quicksilver sash depending on the Scenario, meaning that 4% life per hit is now reduced to 2% or lower, though this is still a better tactic to use. Also note, his ult mitigates damage by 65, so its important not to FF him when he's got runes flying around him, and when he's the size of Cho'Gath (His ult causes him to grow, if he seems bigger then usual, he's probably popped his ult). Oh, and pray to god he doesn't have a Zilean or a Kayle on his team, or you're %@$^ed...