Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

An Explanation of Ranked Team Ratings

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MidlaneAndFeed

12-09-2011

However that's exactly how the old elo system worked.

Why bother changing it if it's basically the same system...

However, it doesn't seem the same, since before I had a chance to get on the first page, seeing as I got to gold before without losing on a smurf. I just hadn't bother putting in the time to get plat. Now, I have to get 24 straight wins, with 0 losses. And that's just to get second. Not really because -I'm- lacking either, but because my teammates won't have played as much as me.

Quote:
Octillery:
Just think of the MMR system in WoW arena.

Each player carries with them a personal MMR. Team ratings start at 0. Your team gains rating based on the average MMR of your opponents vs your team's actual rating. I assume this is something similar to ensure that there is no inflation of ratings in ranked teams (ATM, you can feed a team 10 wins for example using a team, but then just make a new one and clear your w/l. However, losing those 10 games will affect your MMR)

Mistful

12-09-2011

Quote:
rjcombo:
If you just created the team, how were you able to see the rating and adjustments being applied to it?

I think what hes assking is, how come the elo you win towards the team score at the end of the game fluctuates a lot, i'm not really positive if this question has been answered before or not so i apologize before hand...But it's also something i would like to know. I would get on a hot streak and only get about 12-14 Elo per game, ok i take it. Then there will be that ONE game, just one game that someone on the team screws up and loses the game. Go to game screen and it subtracts 30-45 Elo?! Theres all the games i spent all of four hours playing just to start from square one.

I'm not really asking for a change, although i would like to know how it works exactly, why is it deducted in such a way that would discourage anyone from playing ranked?

OJ191

12-09-2011

Quote:
rjcombo:
If you just created the team, how were you able to see the rating and adjustments being applied to it?

Uhh I havn't played ranked teams yet but solo/duo shows the +/- X elo in the after game report.

soy senpai

12-09-2011

Thank you riot for clearing up the confusion of how the new team elo system works and why there are teams that are 5 wins 0 losses at 1800 elo, but there is one thing that i really have a problem with. Its stated that our individual elo's are hidden in the background but i'm confused to the reason why there are hidden. When i go to my profile and see i have an elo in solo queue i feel rewarded and i can see where i am at. When i look slightly to the left i don't see anything under the 3v3 category and it makes me feel a bit demoralized because i can't see what i earned as an individual with the games that i have played with my team. I feel as though the reward as a team factor is there but i don't see the self reward factor every time i go to my profile. Basically what i'm really trying to say is that i wish the personal elo's were not hidden and that I can view it.

PerFeCtiOnzZ

12-09-2011

You guys are making everything complicated.

Firstly, when the first season ends everything should reset PERIOD. The players that were top 10 have already got their status and rewards etc...
How is it a fair competition in SEASON 2 if this TEAM Elo is being based by assumption + past performances?
I don't know why your using such a complicated system which still is not giving accurate results.
In otherwords your saying e.g. If I had connections with the top 10 players(adding any 7 to my team)
and have a ranked team stats of 5W - 0L (knowing that my personal Elo is so bad) but due to the rest of my team's high "Personal Elo" our team ends up with a 1500 + Elo it seems wrong.

Another point is, If all the teams had started equally with the same initial TEAM Elo it would make everything true and fair also further encouraging players to play their best and trying to win this competition. Good players wont have any problem reaching High Elo's within quick time and average players would remain with Average Elo's and bad players will have Low Elo's which would balance this ranking system making it realistic for teams to move up and down. I could go more into detail but you get my point.

Fathomful

12-09-2011

Quote:
rjcombo:
The 5v5 and 3v3 ladders are tracked separately in all aspects of the system.

Sorry that is incorrect.

Played ranked team 3v3 until we received an ELO.

Then played our first game of 5v5 team. At end of game it showed our ELO from the 3v3 team with a -# next to it.

If they are not combined stats why would losing a 5v5 match lower our 3v3 ELO?

edit: keep in mind we only played ONE 5v5 game, and it subtracted ELO due to loss from our established 3v3 ELO.

Brag

12-09-2011

Quote:
rjcombo:

• Each player who participates in Ranked Team games has a hidden personal rating tracked by the system.
  • The rating for newly created (provisional) Ranked Teams is influenced by the personal rating of each member who joins the team.
Why have a hidden rating? As a player, I like to see what my personal rating is in Team 3v3 and 5v5. Obviously, personal rating has an impact on the initial team rating, so I'd like to know what my personal rating is for Team Ranked 3's and 5's.

I do not like having hidden ratings in ranked games. Instead, could it be changed so that Personal Rating for Ranked Team 3v3 and 5v5 can actually be seen?

Literal Potato

12-09-2011

Quote:
Katarìna:
Clearly team 2 shouldn't have been playing 1100 mmr teams. The system, which is dependent upon something it shouldn't be to place a team accurately placed team 2 inaccurately merely because they hadn't played any ranked team previously. While I admit that this is a time saver and prevents high elo players from stomping low elo players while they get where they belong, it obviously doesn't work in the most ideal manner.

But how does the system know that the team is greater than 1100 MMR if they haven't played any 5v5 games yet?

You still do not understand what I was saying at all. Team 1's starting MMRs were higher because they were highly rated in 5v5 premade before the introduction of teams.

SafetyX

Recruiter

12-09-2011

Hey RJ, are you going to delete teams that have 1-2 players or never play games? My friends and I got on the morning they started teams to grab a name, but it had already been taken. Now it has been a month and the team still consists of 1 person (the creator, obviously). It is kind of annoying because my buddies have had our clan since DotA and we were really excited when Teams officially came out in League. Do you know of any plans in the future to clean this up?

BRAVEYpl0x

12-09-2011

Quote:
rjcombo:
That is correct. The roster change policy is based on number of games played, but has nothing to do with what the team's rating actually is.

Hey rj, I think the issue ppl are trying to point out is not about questions with the rooster change system, but with the erroneous line in the help text that states:

"This team is over 1250." This line is part of the help text regardless of the team's elo and, since u have conformed that elo does not effect rooster changes, shouldn't be there at all.