Help with Champion Types

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Regenrok

07-07-2010

I don't understand the different champion types, like tanks, assassins, and that kind of stuff... Can someone please explain?

0rangeSoda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

07-07-2010

In the database there are many labels for champions but I'll just explain a few of the major types then:

Tanks are usually large beefy champions that attract a lot of attention from the other team. their job is not to deal a lot of damage (although they sometimes have the potential to) Tanks are there to soak up the enemy "Crowd Control" abilities (such as stuns) and damage because they usually have more health and armor/magic resist than other champions and can survive being under fire. This is so that your "squishier" low HP high damage champions can deal their damage safely from behind the tank
These are champions like Shen, Alistar, Amumu, Rammus etc. Because they have abilities like taunt or an AOE disable that can buy their team precious time and draw focus

Assassins are Usually melee or Ranged DPS/Mage champions that have lower base HP, armor/magic resist but they can deal high amounts of damage to a single enemy in a short time (thus assassinating them) these champions include Shaco, Akali etc. who can get in and out of places quickly and kill a single squishy and get out fast.

Others can be Support, who's role is to heal/protect their team/turrets from being killed too easily by the other team, some examples are Taric,Soraka, Janna, Zilean etc. who have shields/heals/the ability to prevent an ally from dying and supply other buffs like increased armor/magic resist/movement speed etc.

There are also usually around 3 "other" classifications of champions that are split into the tanks, assassins, support etc.

Ranged DPS, Melee DPS, and the Mages

Ranged DPS champions (DPS stands for damge per second) are champions like Tristana or Ashe, who can deal high amounts of damage while outside of most champion's range, these are usually very squishy champions who scale well with attack damage and are incredibly item dependant

Melee DPS get into the fray and deal high amounts of physical damage as well (i.e. master Yi, Tryndamere, Olaf etc.) and they usually have some sort of gap closing ability to get closer to an enemy and a kind of "survivability" allowing them to deal large amounts of damage and get out alive if they're not focused

Then there are mages, they can provide instant, high damage AOE magic burst (these are like Annie, Fiddlesticks, Veigar etc.)

=/ I hope i covered most of your questions
if you have more about character types feel free to ask

exwingzero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2010

Tanks are people who can take a beating and have a ton of hp.
Mage is a caster of sorts; However, the type of mage varies and you should look into it deeper.
Fighter is a physical damage dealer, think of it as being attacked by an object vs a spell.
Assassin is a ganker, someone who can jump in and out effectively and be effective at killing.
Support is just that support. Helps the group out in some way; think of them as buffers or debuffers (for the enemy team).
Recommended as far as I can tell is, "hey are you new to the game? Well try these guys out"
Farmer is someone who can take care of minions either in a lane or in the jungle.
Nuke is high amounts of damage in a short period of time.

There might be others but just think about what is the name and think how that might apply to the game as a whole.

Hope this helped.

Calycadnum

Recruiter

08-10-2010

posts are hepful thanks, but i dont still understand what "carry" means

Freakayou

08-10-2010

Carry is a DPS champion that at mid to late game will essentially "Carry" a team either by knocking down buildings or eat the other teams champions through either huge amounts of burst DMG or sustained DMG. This mostly applies to Physical DMG champions so that they can eat turrets/inhibitors fast, but this also applies to hero killing.

Avonguard

08-11-2010

As Freakayou said, Carries are champions that excel during mid- to late-game. What this means, though, is that they have to survive that long and build up their strength by consistently acquiring gold; many (though not all) "carries" require expensive items to really reach their potential. As a consequence, they are often more vulnerable and fragile during early game stages before they have their items and when their skills are comparatively weaker at lower levels.