A Good Riven Build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AetherNeo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2011

I've been searching for a good Riven build around for a while since I bought her, but none of the builds I've found feel... right for her. Been searching around for some input on Riven builds, so I thought that I may as well come here and ask for a build here in the Guides section. Any thoughts on her, including some key items for her are appreciated. Reasoning behind why they're core would also be appreciated.

ViashinoWizard

12-09-2011

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=7583

This is the guide I use.

AetherNeo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2011

The build I've been using is tankier, but this feels like a completely different side. Definitely trying this build out, though I'd appreciate more options as well!

AMonkeyCourier

12-09-2011

Wriggle's for epic cost-effectiveness while jungling or at top
Merc's/Ninja/Ionian
Brutalizer ASAP as Riven makes great use of all stats
Bloodthirster next as Riven should be relying on her team to put out CC at the right times and on the right targets
Frozen mallet or guardian angel (depending on how much magic damage there is on the enemy team) after that as by that point in the game, Riven's need for being in the thick of things will set her back a lot as the enemy team will have become a lot tankier. Durability increases faster than damage in LoL.
Last whisper will help round out your build for obvious reasons. From here, viable luxuries are IE, finishing ghostblade etc.

Fit situational items like hexdrinker if appropriate.

ForeverLaxx

12-09-2011

I prefer to jungle Riven, and to that end I usually go with a Wriggles, Ghostblade, Bloodthirster, Guardian Angel, and Lucid Boots. That leaves one slot for whatever you think you need, with the potential to sell Wriggles for something else if you must. I prefer Lucid over Mercs simply because she needs the CDR more. Only pick up Mercs if the enemy team is sporting some serious hard CC. One or two stuns/silences isn't enough to justify mercs. With enough CDR, your Valor shield will only be gone for 1.5 seconds. Riven is a unique "tanky" DPS in that she gains so much defense from building offense, especially if you pick up offensive items that have a side of defense such as Wriggles and Bloodthirster. The usual "metagame build" of Warmogs + Atma's is very ineffective on her compared to any other tanky DPS champion so I suggest avoiding it.

I've wanted to experiment using Aegis on Riven as well. A good compliment of stats that Riven can really use, especially when used in tandem with Guardian Angel, seems like a good idea to me. Yes, she only gains 8 AD from the item, but 8 is more than 0 and I've been trying to find a good final item for my build anyway. Keep in mind that the build I posted is not in order of item completion. You're going to sit on that Brutilizer for a very long time before finally building it into a Ghostblade. She doesn't get that much of a boost from the upgrade, and I'd only consider upgrading it if my team needs me to kill towers faster for whatever reason.

xyxstradus

12-09-2011

My biggest issue with Riven is picking a defense item after I've built wriggles and ghostblade. A lot of people suggest hexdrinker but I'm wondering if it would be better to just build a QSS and work towards mallet or warmogs.

AetherNeo

12-09-2011

Wow, so much input received...

The Solomid guide just gave me a really great game. I switched around the Mercs with CDR boots, and it worked flawlessly. Never jungled as Riven, but this is one thing I'll start trying out. Thinking of switching over the GA with a Frozen Mallet, since it gives me more HP and one heck of a CC.

ViashinoWizard

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AetherNeo View Post
Wow, so much input received...

The Solomid guide just gave me a really great game. I switched around the Mercs with CDR boots, and it worked flawlessly. Never jungled as Riven, but this is one thing I'll start trying out. Thinking of switching over the GA with a Frozen Mallet, since it gives me more HP and one heck of a CC.
HP isn't a good stat on Riven, because Valor gives her effective HP for building AD. It also works well with GA's passive, as the revive time gives it time to come off cooldown.

WWWWWWORP

12-09-2011

When I jungle riven I go for pure dps so I start out dorans blade then build into cutlass and brutalizer I also don't get the cdr boots as I find they are a bit expensive and I would rather have some armor/dodge or ias or even just faster movement speed. I do think late game the atmas and warmogs combo is good as the later the game goes the more squishy riven becomes so I end up getting warmogs as my last item and if the game goes long enough ill get atmas however that hasn't happened yet. I think riven is probably one of the harder champs to play correctly because you have to be bouncing around in combat constantly dodging skill shots ect.

AetherNeo

12-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViashinoWizard View Post
HP isn't a good stat on Riven, because Valor gives her effective HP for building AD. It also works well with GA's passive, as the revive time gives it time to come off cooldown.
True enough, makes lots of sense. I'll keep the GA.