Headphones ruin the HUD in Boot Camp

First Riot Post
12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daen

Senior Member

12-07-2011

Hiya,

I run League of Legends on a Boot Camped 2009 MacBook Pro.

Whenever I put in my headphones and/or remove them while a game is loading or in progress, it removes all game sound and freezes all announcements on my screen.

"Welcome to Summoner's Rift" stays visible through the entire game, though faint.

I cannot see any kill information in my chat box (<player> is on a killing spree, etc.)

I cannot see any kill information at the top of the screen nor do kills show up on the right-hand side.

I never have information about turrets or inhibitors other than actually seeing them being gone on my minimap, because all audio and textual clues are gone.

The headset is a set of Klipsch earbuds, but I don't think the headphones in question make a difference.

Thanks,
Mr T.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrassNinja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

12-12-2011

What version of windows are you using in boot camp? I run on a Mac as well so I will see if I can reproduce this to see whats up. I have seen similar issues with adding/removing my MBox, but it is USB driven.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jaywatford

Lead Sound Designer

12-12-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey Mr T,

That's a very interesting bug, especially the fact that it freezes the text announcements. We'll see if we can repro it on our end, GrassNinja if you are able to repro this and have any tips to do so let us know. Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

howie1360

Junior Member

12-12-2011

The sound issue happens to me as well. Once the game has started to load, I can't put headphones in or i will lose all game sound. This happens until the game ends and then is fine from then onwards


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daen

Senior Member

12-12-2011

I've actually had the sound issue in other games as well (namely Terraria), so it's not fully a League of Legends thing. The odd part about this glitch that seems to be LoL specific is the announcements and such freezing. I'll try to figure out repro steps for you.

I've also had scenarios where I'll be plugged in with headphones with game sound coming out of the computer speakers and music in the headphones, though I doubt that's a problem with the client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie1360 View Post
The sound issue happens to me as well. Once the game has started to load, I can't put headphones in or i will lose all game sound. This happens until the game ends and then is fine from then onwards
This. While the headphones are in the game works properly and has correct sound, but once taken out the HUD and audio essentially turn off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassNinja View Post
What version of windows are you using in boot camp? I run on a Mac as well so I will see if I can reproduce this to see whats up. I have seen similar issues with adding/removing my MBox, but it is USB driven.
Win7 Professional Edition. I don't have any USB headsets so I unfortunately can't test that to see if it produces different results, I'd be curious as to what happens when you try.

~ Mr T

P.S. Thanks all for the feedback.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bottleorum

Senior Member

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
Hiya,

I run League of Legends on a Boot Camped 2009 MacBook Pro.

Whenever I put in my headphones and/or remove them while a game is loading or in progress, it removes all game sound and freezes all announcements on my screen.

"Welcome to Summoner's Rift" stays visible through the entire game, though faint.

I cannot see any kill information in my chat box (<player> is on a killing spree, etc.)

I cannot see any kill information at the top of the screen nor do kills show up on the right-hand side.

I never have information about turrets or inhibitors other than actually seeing them being gone on my minimap, because all audio and textual clues are gone.

The headset is a set of Klipsch earbuds, but I don't think the headphones in question make a difference.

Thanks,
Mr T.
This actually happens in a lot of games. Removing analog components (headphones) in Windows used to cause a lot of issues (mostly sound not working until you restart). Still does sometimes.

ANother thing you might look to see is if you have "speakers" or "headphones" as your primary audio source in the windows hotbar in the bottom right (click the sound icon and go to playback devices).

I am assuming you're using Windows 7.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Daen

Senior Member

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottleorum View Post
This actually happens in a lot of games. Removing analog components (headphones) in Windows used to cause a lot of issues (mostly sound not working until you restart). Still does sometimes.

ANother thing you might look to see is if you have "speakers" or "headphones" as your primary audio source in the windows hotbar in the bottom right (click the sound icon and go to playback devices).

I am assuming you're using Windows 7.
I've fiddled with the primary audio source options, they don't seem to really make a difference. The main reason I brought this issue up though was in regards to the HUD not responding in relation to this event, rather than the audio.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ShadyShell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-12-2011

I might have a similar problem. My problem is the audio does not re-direct. When i plug in headphones the sound still comes out of the speakers. If i unplug headphones i lose sound altogether. What I do to fix this is mute all sound and then un-mute all sound. It will freeze the client for about 4-5 seconds but afterwards sound comes out of the proper device.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrassNinja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

12-12-2011

I just got home from work. Time to try to break my HUD, Let the testing begin. For Science!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bottleorum

Senior Member

12-12-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
I've fiddled with the primary audio source options, they don't seem to really make a difference. The main reason I brought this issue up though was in regards to the HUD not responding in relation to this event, rather than the audio.
It may require a restart is my point. Windows has issues like that arbitrarily. It's super cool like that.


12