Draft Pick Order

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aerilis

12-07-2011

I've recently started playing ranked games (been playing normals forever) and something that has caused me a lot of angst is the fact that your teams pick order is at the mercy of an RNG. Every ranked game at champ select I try to talk to my team to find out who wants to play what so I can pick around them. 25% of the time this works and we make a well balanced team. 75% the time 1 or 2 players are mute, and then will instalock champions in roles we already have covered.

Now I understand there will always be players like this, but I think it would be nice if there was a way to at least accommodate their adamant champion preferences. For an example, maybe have a system where anyone can pick a champion, but once the first person picks the other players have to wait until somebody on the other team picks, etc. That way, the instalockers can pick first, and those of us who prefer to pick last can do that as well.

nyghtwraith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2011

From what I've heard ranked draft is in order of elo from top to bottom. Normal draft being completely random (with pre mades getting shoved up top).

It sounds like your system would nullify counter picking. And what would you do if both teams picked the same champ? I do wish there was a better way to do champ select when you get into teams where there is no communication. It really bugs me when I'm first pick and say pick brand and our number 4 picks Annie and calls "mid", with no previous warning or request at all.

Maybe a way to lock in your role without picking a champ. That I would love to see.

edit
Now that I think of it, maybe just an option to pick ranged ad, ranged ap, tank, support, melee ad, melee ap, jungle etc that puts a mark next to your box letting everyone know your intention? Let's face it, some people just dont like communicating. But, how to deal with multiple people picking the same role? Would it be first come first serve and favor insta lockers? And would you limit there selection according to the champs discription? Obviously it would have it's kinks but it would be nice once ironed out.

Aerilis

12-07-2011

You misunderstood my idea, in my way everyone would be able to be first pick, but once somebody made a pick, the other players would not be able to pick anymore, and it would be the other teams turn to pick. Basically the game will ask the team, "OK, who wants to pick first?" Then somebody picks, then it's the other teams turn.

I've never heard about the draft order being by ELO from top to bottom, but if that's true that's just stupid, high ELO should be at the bottom, if low ELO is at the bottom you just get the same trolls not cooperating with the team during champ select and instalocking teemo every game.

nyghtwraith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-07-2011

ok, yeah I see what you mean now. It would potentialy be a mad rush to insta lock the "next champ". Some games would be a big mess having 10 people spam clicking to get "there" champ and there would be no synergy at all.

But, of course there would be the game where only a couple would be spam clicking and the rest could take there time filling out the group. Interesting idea. How would you work bans in that system?

And I assume they put the highest elo as captain and in charge of the bans because theoretically they should be the better player and have better knowledge of who to ban and hopefully give good advice to others during selection (notice I said theoretically).

Cysic

12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyghtwraith View Post
Normal draft being completely random (with pre mades getting shoved up top).
Premades are distributed randomly but are always as a group within the order. So a 3-man queue will always inhabit slots (1/2/3) (2/3/4) or (3/4/5).

ClatoVerataNicto

12-07-2011

In ranked it makes sense to have the highest ELO at the top. If they had last pick they would be in the best position to counter pick the other team, and there would be a higher likelihood that they would stomp the other team. With them picking first it gives the other team a better chance of countering the best player.

Assuming ELO is an accurate representation of skill...

nyghtwraith

12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysic View Post
Premades are distributed randomly but are always as a group within the order. So a 3-man queue will always inhabit slots (1/2/3) (2/3/4) or (3/4/5).
That I didn't know. I thought they always ended up 1/2/3 etc