Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[GUIDE] AP Kog'Maw - Destroyer of Worlds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doctor Awesome

07-07-2010

The reason W isn't useful on an AP build is because if you're auto-attacking, you could be firing Living Artillery instead, and if you don't have the mana to use Living Artillery, you shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

Also, the biggest advantage of Ryali's is honestly the fact that Living Artillery becomes a slow--if you hit once, you basically get to keep hitting until you're out of mana or they're out of HP.

Redenbacher

07-07-2010

The reasoning behind Rylai's makes sense, although I still see it as a luxury item, and not necessarily core.

Your explanation behind not using W just reinforces my point, however. W may not be useful all the time, but it's huge range boost to your auto-attack will be far more useful than Q. It will add additional DPS in between artillery shots and still keep you at safe range... I just see it as more burst. This is why I don't understand leveling Q before W if you're going to go AP. Not to mention, if you wanted, you could tack on a Lichbane end game and make best use of that.

watumeanwat

07-07-2010

pretty nice guide. The way I play, I use teleport so I can wreak havoc all over the map and get tear by level...3 I think it was. I also use clarity and 1 mana pot and 1 hp pot (the hp pot is only cause im still a scrub). This way I can play aggressively with E. instead of Rylai's I use rod of ages because I dont really have trouble hitting people with the ulti, and by rank 2 if you continuously miss your ulti despite the huge range because people are running too fast...well you just shouldn't. nice guide though

Woozl

07-07-2010

Quote:
Doctor Awesome:
The reason W isn't useful on an AP build is because if you're auto-attacking, you could be firing Living Artillery instead, and if you don't have the mana to use Living Artillery, you shouldn't be fighting in the first place.

Perfect explanation, thank you.
Quote:
Redenbacher:
The reasoning behind Rylai's makes sense, although I still see it as a luxury item, and not necessarily core.

Your explanation behind not using W just reinforces my point, however. W may not be useful all the time, but it's huge range boost to your auto-attack will be far more useful than Q. It will add additional DPS in between artillery shots and still keep you at safe range... I just see it as more burst. This is why I don't understand leveling Q before W if you're going to go AP. Not to mention, if you wanted, you could tack on a Lichbane end game and make best use of that.

Well, in the guide I was using my language a tad strongly when I said it was useless, however, at the time I didn't really want to extrapolate on a reasoning behind a skill I wasn't even going to use often. Another error of my rushing ways, I suppose. Allow me to explain now.

The main reason I level Q over W is the damage. You might say that W gives better damage, and it does, but only if I am auto-attacking. The play style of this particular build is "Stay away and shoot," meaning that I don't really auto-attack that much. However, then you bring up your second point, saying that since W increases your range, than why don't you use it to stay farther back and continue to attack when low on mana, or waiting for the additional cost of Living Artillery to wear off. In my personal opinion, the range boost is actually, quite impressive. It will get you to about the range of a mid-high level Tristana, however, that is still in high risk territory for someone with no escape. I use Q over W because I believe the benefits W provides are too low for such a high cooldown, whereas Q will be a consistent source of good burst.

While I agree that AD/Attack Speed Kog'Maw is a valid build, I rarely play it because it endangers you that much more. Since your only real escape as KogMaw is a well placed E, being closer is baaaad. W does good damage, excellent damage to tanks, but it just isn't consistently up enough for me. Additionally, if you go AP, it will be boosted even more so, and can be used as a last cast to try to take down your aggressors. A level 5 Q will do equal damage as a level 5 E, so I believe that is worth the extra %, especially since I try to take out the squishies first. If anything needs clarifying, I'll do my best to re-state.

@watumeanwat: The Rylai's is not there just to be able to hit people with greater ease. Imagine, if you would, trying to kill a low HP Mundo that just popped his ult without the slowing/chasing effects of Rylai's. Although, RoA is also a good choice for Kog, as it gives him what he needs most: AP, HP, and Mana.

Teemohoh

07-07-2010

I just tried this build out and rocked! It took a while to get going, but once I got there I was unstoppable! Also, is it just me, or did the front page flood with AP Kog'Maw guides after you posted this? :P Seems a little crazy! But thanks so much for the guide!

Endyium

07-08-2010

Quote:
Redenbacher:
A few issues caught my eye with this guide.

1) Rylai's Scepter - My understanding is the slow effects are separate, not additive, and the larger of the two takes precedence. Thus, this will only cause your Caustic Spittle and Artillery to have an added slow effect, and does not add to Void Ooze. Not horrible, but probably makes it more of a luxury than a core build.

2) Leveling E over W - Even if you're going AP, I don't see how W is useless to you. It deals magic damage based on percentage of AP, and might just help snag you that early kill from the added range on an over-aggressive lane opponent. Caustic Spittle, on the other hand, requires Kog to get right up in their face - where you don't want to be. Your opening statement is to 'stay away, use E and R to win'... Well why not use E, W, and R to win. If they're in range for Void Ooze, they're in range for W - more DPS is never a bad thing.

I'm not saying you're wrong, as I'm not a Kog player (only tried him once so far... and loved it), these things just jumped out at me

Actually in my opinion Q is actually quite useful. I personally use it minions when leveling because it gives me a stacking buff. Once i get 20 stacks i get 15% cooldown reduction on top of what it already gave me. HELPING me use R to nuke the sh.it out of them!

xSJx

07-08-2010

I like this guide. Rylais and archangel staff are the best items on Kog . I still think that w is better to max first but I'll have to try them both out again. +1

FlyingPinkPony

07-11-2010

Don't be trying to steal my guide (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=153893) =)

TrojanPanda

07-11-2010

Quote:
Doctor Awesome:

Also, the biggest advantage of Ryali's is honestly the fact that Living Artillery becomes a slow--if you hit once, you basically get to keep hitting until you're out of mana or they're out of HP.

Unfortunately, Living Artillery has a cooldown, meaning you will always be able to get one auto-attack off if you're in range. I find the huge range boost from leveling W is much more valuable early game than the damage boost in Q.

Quote:
Endyium:
Actually in my opinion Q is actually quite useful. I personally use it minions when leveling because it gives me a stacking buff. Once i get 20 stacks i get 15% cooldown reduction on top of what it already gave me. HELPING me use R to nuke the sh.it out of them!

Wait, are you talking about Mejai's? Because that doesn't give you stacks when killing minions, and Q has nothing to do with it. Not to mention that void ooze+1 or 2 artillerys should be enough to take out a wave.

Woozl

07-15-2010

Quote:
FlyingPinkPony:
Don't be trying to steal my guide (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=153893) =)

Sorry. :O
The problem is two-fold, in that you should both not be attacking when you can cast, and that you should harass until they are at the very limit of your range. which is much farther than W grants you.