Late game help - AP Caster Player

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Primo Victor

12-06-2011

I have been doing extremely well early game as of late and have become pretty solid at it but I am lacking in my mid to late game play. I think it may be from the items I am building but I just feel that I lack a punch. I could use some advice on some things I have been thinking about.

I like to play Malzahar or Karthas primarily.

My builds have been Doran's Ring(Or Boots+3 Pots)>Sorc Boots>Void Staff>Rabadon's Deathcap>and then I fall apart it feels like.

I am thinking of trying out Deathfire Grasp next for its active+CDR for extra magic damage. What else should I tryout?

My runes are
mark-mag pen
seal-mp5
glyph-flat and scaling AP
Q-2 flat AP 1 scaling AP.

I am even lost in space on if that is a good rune build. I also run 9/0/21

Thanks in advanced for the help.

killerb0y

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-06-2011

Quote:
My builds have been Doran's Ring(Or Boots+3 Pots)>Sorc Boots>Void Staff>Rabadon's Deathcap>and then I fall apart it feels like.
You never need to get Void staff that early - your first major item as an AP caster usually should be Rabadon's or Catalyst -> ROA. Afterwards, if the enemy start building MR. then get Void staff.

Starting boots+3pots is nice because it gives you a bit of HP regen. If I'm going for Deathcap then I'll usually get 1-2 Doran's to tide me over until I get my NLR, otherwise I rush Catalyst.

I rush Deathcap on ranged casters (like Annie, Brand, Malz), utilizing my range to stay alive, and ROA on more close ranged casters (e.g. Karthus, Swain).

Quote:
I am even lost in space on if that is a good rune build. I also run 9/0/21
Runes seem fine.

With the new masteries, why go 9/0/21? Offense is very strong for casters now, so it's probably better to go 21/0/9 or 21/9/0.

After you get (ROA), Deathcap and Void, it's often nice to build more survivability e.g. Rylai's, Zhonya, Banshee.

corallein

12-06-2011

For Karthus, dying is to be expected. Not desired, but if you're the first to die it's not necessarily bad. Just make sure you die in the MIDDLE of their team, preferably in a way that splits them and allows you to do maximum Defile damage + wall + ult.

Runes are suboptimal. Quints should be all flat AP since they give 5x the benefit of flat AP glyphs, while scaling AP quints only give 2.5x the benefit of scaling AP glyphs. And I prefer going all scaling AP glyphs since they equal out flat ones by level 6.

Deren

12-06-2011

Like the above, you kind of want to die, as they waste cds and you can hurt them and ult.

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2011

Heres a good Malzahar guide for you: http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-legends-malzahar-guide