[GUIDE] A Definitive Guide to AP Master Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MindGamez

07-06-2010

Welcome to all of you who have come seeking knowledge in order to master AP Yi.

First, there are a lot of misconceptions of what Master Yi is. Is he a DPS, Burst, Tank champion?

Yes. Master Yi can be all of the above, but only with an AP build.

A AD build offers great damage output against all champions, but relatively low survivability.

The reason why I and many other players have come to see why AP is a much better choice in mid to high ELO is because of it's burst potential and survivability.

Note that both builds have their purposes and a good Master Yi player will adjust according to his opponents. I'll expand on this later.

Let's get this going.

[ABILITIES]

Alpha Strike: Your bread and butter skill. With a 1:1 AP ratio and long range multiple targeting, you can kill several fleeing low HP champs with just 1 Alpha Strike while remaining in relative safety. It is also one of the best harassment abilities in the game since not only can you deal damage to an enemy lane champion, but also deal bonus damage to minions. It's farming potential is almost as underappreciated as it's ability to make you untargetable in the air for about 1 second. Good use of Alpha strike in the laning phase involves making it hard for your opponent to know where you will land.

Meditate: Otherwise known as MediHATE. This ability grants you 100 armor and Magic resistance at level 1. That alone is reason enough to put points in it early. Meditate has one of the highest AP ratios in the game. 1:5:1. With enough AP you will be able to tank the entire enemy team and they will hate you for it. Use it to tank through Ryze burst, Pantheon ult, Gangplank ult, tower diving champions. The sky is the limit. Knowing its limitations is also very important. Ignite is very dangerous early on. Do not attempt to tank 2 or more enemies if one or more has ignite. Once you have enough AP, even ignite will not be enough. Stuns, taunts and silences are the banes of AP Yi. A good AP Yi will only use Meditate when the other team has all their CC on cooldown. A bad AP Yi will Alpha Strike into a group of 3 or more and immediately Meditate, get CC'd out of it and die.

Wuju Style: Fairly useless for AP Yi. It is good for Sheen/Lich Bane proc, but other than that use in conjuction with Higlander to put in a little extra hurt.

Highlander: AP Yi would be nothing without Higlander. Not only does it provide movement speed to catch up to fleeing enemies, but it also RESETS all your cooldowns if you kill said enemy. Use in conjuction with Alpha to kill one enemy, reset your cooldowns, Alpha kill another enemy, reset your cooldowns, Alpha kill another and another and another. I think you get the point. Good use involves knowing when to use it to move across the map quickly and get away from possible ganks or bad Alpha Strike position. Also remember to reactivate it after you kill an enemy.

1. Q
2. W
3. Q
4. W
5. Q
6. R
7. Q
8. E
9. Q
10.W
11,R
12.W
13.E
14.W
15.E
16.R
17.E
18.E

You want to max Alpha Strike as soon as possible while still having a respectable Meditate heal. Get 1 Rank in Wuju after getting Highlander. After Maxing Alpha Strike, Max Meditate then Wuju. Always level Higlander when you can.

Priority: R>Q>W>E

[SUMMONER SPELLS]

There are only 3 choices a competent AP Yi player will choose.

Ghost: I highly reccomend this spell for the early tower diving possibilities and getting across the Map as quickly as possible. You will want to chain this with Higlander if possible. Never activate both at the same time.

Ignite: A great spell if you come up against healing comps and you completely want to shut out a source of healing from your preffered victim. Also good to tower dive a low HP champion with. Alpha Strike, Ignite and run away.

Cleanse

As mentioned above, Ignite is great at shutting out any source of healing, including your own. Cleanse will give you an ignite free Meditate and will also get you out of very sticky situations which you can then Meditate through. Best use is to wait for the opposing team to expend all possible CC's, Cleanse them all and Meditate.

[MASTERIES]

9-0-21

No other Mastery setup offers AP Yi anything better than this setup.

Utility

1/1 Haste
4/4 Perserverance
4/4 Awareness
3/3 Meditation
3/3 Utility Mastery
1/1 Greed
3/3 Quickness
3/3 Intelligence
1/1 Presence of Master

Offense

1/3 Deadliness
3/3 Archmage's Savvy
4/4 Sorcery
1/1 Archaic Knowledge

With this mastery setup, you will have 9% CDR, Mana Regeneration, Magic Pen, and most importantly, increased Neutral Buff duration.

[RUNES]

After having read HotshotGG's guide, I mostly agreed with his setup with just 1 exception.

Marks: Armor Pen
Seals: Magic Regen per 5
Glyphs: AP per level
Quints: Flat HP (Hotshot uses Armor Pen Quints)

Flat HP Quints are my preference for all melee champs since more HP = better towerdiving and overall just an easier early game.

[ITEM BUILD]

Doran's Ring
Mana Potion
Merc's Treads

NO EXCEPTIONS

After Merc's Treads, if you're getting easy kills against squishy champs:
Mejai's Soulstealer

If you are having trouble getting kills:
Blasting Wand> Needlessly Large Rod> Zhonya's Ring*

Lich Bane**

Most games will be over by now. If they're not.
Void Staff

Luxury Items
Guardian Angel, Guinsoo's Rageblade
_________________ Fill in the blank.

*ACTIVATE THE RING. That's the most useful property of Zhonya's Ring. If you aren't activating it, it's a waste of an item slot. Use it anytime you make a bad landing with Alpha Strike. Treat the ring as a SECONDARY Meditate. It gives you 2 seconds of invulnerabilty. Use it to buy some time for that second Alpha Strike.

**DO NOT DOUBLE PROC LICHBANE. If you immediatly use Wuju after Highlander, you just wasted a Lichbane proc. At endgame Lichbane is absolutely devastating. Using it to its fullest is a must. Remember this sequence. Alpha Strike, LB proc, Highlander, LB Proc, Wuju Style, LB Proc. 3 Lich Bane procs = over 1,500 dmg on top of your dps. Do not waste Lich bane procs by spamming abilities.

[Playing AP Yi]

Early Game : Farm and harass with Alpha. Try to target minions that are out of position so that you land near the minion instead of in between the enemy. Use Meditate to heal up any harass. Play it safe if your playing top or bottom lane. If your in mid, feel free to play aggressive and tower dive with Alpha-ghost-ignite when the opportunity arises.

Mid Game: At this point you should have Merc's treads and one AP item. Your maxed out Alpha Strike should be hitting HARD. In Team fights, harass with Alpha and wait for someone else to engage. During team battles, flank the squishy champions, pop highlander and Alpha Strike-ignite. Not only will you cause Mayhem, you'll also throw off any battle plan that the opponent team had by causing the Tanks to double back.

I cannot stress how important Blue buff is to AP Yi. You can safely solo Golem at lvl 8. Not only will it give you crazy mana regen to go along with your runes, but it will give you close to MAX Cooldown reduction. Your Neutral Buff masteries will keep it on you for around 5 minutes. That's 5 minutes of Alpha Strike spamming. Get it WHENEVER possible.

Late Game: By this time you should have a healthy amount of Mejai's stacks and at least a Sheen. This is when AP Yi truly shines. Always, Always go for squishy champions. If they're hiding behind tanks, Alpha Strike off of minions to deal damage and stay out of danger. The ideal situation is to have team fights in the jungle where there are no minions Alpha Strike can target so enemy champions take the full brunt of Alpha Strike damage. Remember to proc the Lichbane sequence and use Highlander after every kill. You are THE Carry. Do not be afraid to kill steal. Once you have 15+ stacks on Mejais, you will three shot any squishies.

[REASONS NOT TO GO AP YI]

There is only 1 scenario I can think of where AP Yi is not as suitable as AD Yi.

If the other team has 3 or more true tanks (Mundo is not tank...) DPS Yi with Madred's Bloodrazors is much more preferable than AP Yi.

AP Yi shines in scenarios where there are 3 or more squishy Champions. Why?
AP Yi has the ability to destroy tanks, if and only if he can land 3 or more Alpha Strikes consecutively. How does he do that? By using Highlander to reset his timers of course.
By Alpha killing a squishy champ with Highlander on, you can snowball a team fight just by the sheer amount of Alpha Strikes you will be spamming.

Focusing down a tank team for Alpha-Highlander spam is much more difficult and unlikely. Therefore, AD Yi is much more suitable in that situation.

Tips & Tricks: Coming Soon.

Work in Progress.

xahhfink6

07-06-2010

Oh look, its this thread again

If you are going to post a guide, at least make it original, this must be the 10th dumbed down version of hotshot's guide I've seen. There is not a single thing this guide adds to the community.

Also: "much better choice in mid to high ELO " I lol'd

VoiceofTreason

07-06-2010

I do not agree with all of your item choices, also early in the game I go mana crystal to sheen, its procs work very nicely when you don't have ap yet and soon becomes lichbane after your second ap item. Also you would benefit much better from CD items, I get close to 40% (38.5~) with my ap yi. You'll always have a spell for a proc. I use rylais for some tankiness and a mass alpha slow in team fights, not sure how much I like it and considering other like options. Almost no one stacks MR for an ap yi counter so a void staff seems like a waste, maybe a flat reduc item would be as good and cheaper if they aren't stacking.

I think you also left out that ap yi easily gets more minions kills per game and can get a buff and heal to full hp+ before mid game with ease. Also ap is an awesome no-minions-bd fiend because he has more hp and can heal after. In fact I buy mana pots only and use them to heal or to get another alpha in, with sheen alone his meditate heals for well over a 200 hp pot. Later in game it really is very easy to get 2 spells off cd on average while meditating in a naturally timed burst.

Also you should put your build's weakness out there for consideration. His major fallback as with any yi build is cc, I can and have healed to full health thru a fed kat ulti (rlly just to test my meditate) but have to watch for stunners/knockups. Snares alone are ineffective though.

+1 to orig poster/-1 to dbag

VoiceofTreason

07-06-2010

Also, I could not find the hotshot guide, is it a very old one?

MindGamez

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoiceofTreason View Post
Also, I could not find the hotshot guide, is it a very old one?
It is on Leaguecraft, about 2 months old. Here is a link to the original conspirator HotshotGG.

http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategie...de+%5BAp+Yi%5D

Leirkov

07-06-2010

I find that starting with a Mana Crystal and 2 HP pots helps with rushing Sheen, after that get your boots and rush a Zhonya's. By 20 minutes you SHOULD have a Sheen, Boots, and Zhonya's. Very doable, then you can make Sheen into a Lich if you want, I guess from there it's more of a team-building scenario though.

MindGamez

07-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirkov View Post
I find that starting with a Mana Crystal and 2 HP pots helps with rushing Sheen, after that get your boots and rush a Zhonya's. By 20 minutes you SHOULD have a Sheen, Boots, and Zhonya's. Very doable, then you can make Sheen into a Lich if you want, I guess from there it's more of a team-building scenario though.
You could do that, but I find getting more AP early while most champs have little to no survivability items is the best way to get an early killing spree. Doran's ring gives you the HP, mana regen and small AP boost in order to do this. You can also sell it later if you want to rush Lich Bane

Sheen is subpar until you have some healthy AP going.

Most champs will be surprised by how much your Meditate will heal and make mistakes.

I get Sheen after I have at the least 200 AP.

ColdBlooded

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2010

armor pen is better than magic pen on AP yi? I guess solely for the lichbane proc?

5HATCOMBO

07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindGamez View Post
It is on Leaguecraft, about 2 months old. Here is a link to the original conspirator HotshotGG.

http://www.leaguecraft.com/strategie...de+%5BAp+Yi%5D
That wasn't written by HotShotGG and you shouldn't trust it for anything.

Your guide is actually pretty good but the masteries section needs a bit of a tweak. I don't think you can put 7 points into offense and get the 15% magic pen.

Not sure about Armor pen vs Mpen. I think Hotshot ends up with void staff sometimes so I usually take Mpen but it turns out Lich Bane does proc phys.

Other than that, pretty solid, buildwise. You'll probably need a bit more damage early and I think you can survive on boots 1 until you get your Zhonya's but either way is ok.

MindGamez

07-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdBlooded View Post
armor pen is better than magic pen on AP yi? I guess solely for the lichbane proc?
Armor Pen not just for the LichBane Proc but also for the early game damage boost on double strike procs..