Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Top Tank-y Dps Picks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GrignardTS

12-06-2011

Quote:
mufins:
riven, wukong, skarner, irelia, pantheon would be my dream auto-win team (also brainless i might add) if I was doing arranged 5s (ryze/yorick being first bans).

I love seeing 3 tanky dps. Me and my premade friends always laugh and go straight CC tanks. Alistar, Blitz, Singed, etc.

3 CC Tanks > 3 Tanky DPS

Cauldrath

12-06-2011

Riven is tanky dps purely because of Valor. AD and CDR are both offensive stats and defensive stats, and it also scales with mitigation. She's more sustained tankiness than burst tankiness, though, so she'll fold if you can burst her down fast enough, but if she gets a chance to shield twice, given equal gold/exp, she's going to beat you 1v1 unless you also have crazy sustain, like ulting AD Sion. Just imagine that she has hp/5 that ignores healing debuffs equal to her AD and you'll be in the right ballpark.

I build Brutalizer, Ionian Boots, Aegis of the Legion (replaced by Guardian Angel if bot lane or Warden's Mail against AD-heavy teams), Bilgewater Cutlass, Entropy, then have a situational slot. The components of those items give me a lot of flexibility in build orders, so I can start all offense with Brutalizer (against a melee-heavy team when we have sufficient melee tankiness), all defense with 2 Ruby Crystals and either Cloth Armor or Null-Magic Mantle (if I'm the only tanky melee), somewhere in between, or grabbing Phage against a ranged-heavy team.

She does have the problem that the closest she has to a well-suited expensive item is Entropy, though, which still isn't nearly as good as Rabadon's or Infinity Edge is to most characters, so if the game goes long enough that I fill all my slots then I don't really have anything reasonable to build. But, if they release a high-value item with just AD and CDR... I don't see her avoiding the nerf bat.

Stimuz

12-06-2011

Quote:
Noitcurtsed:
I love seeing 3 tanky dps. Me and my premade friends always laugh and go straight CC tanks. Alistar, Blitz, Singed, etc.

3 CC Tanks > 3 Tanky DPS

You know, the entire team the guy you quoted listed has at least 1 hard CC each.

Narule01

12-06-2011

okay for tanky dps, i go. Jarvin, trundle, ww, yi. if u want builds send me a message or something i need sleep i dont have time to go into them but yi's is different...u could easily add jax if u gear him right....i can explain better later.

Zephalon

12-06-2011

You Missed Shyvana...

Her Ult makes her super tanky too....

Annaed

12-06-2011

Quote:
The Wrongsword:

Riven I've seen be a very good tanky DPS, I'd be curious how good rivens like to build her.

I main Riven on dominion and BEAST with her. She is incredibly strong and fun to play. I'm almost always 1st-3rd place. I noticed a lot of rivens build phage right away and build into a frozen mallet.... please dont do that.. that is the worst way to build her unless u are required to be the tank. AD scales so incredibly well with her its not worth it to buy health items until the very end (if the game lasts long enough). Buy boots, prospectors, 2 health pots>> brutalizer>>sanguine>>IE>>Youmuus>>frozen mallet or Black Cleaver or Entropy

Remember her dash gives her a shield that scales with AD and it can protect you from a lot of damage so take advantage of this (this is also why its better to build AD over HP) I can usually 2v1 or 3v1 under my cap, no prob.

Edit: I also use health quints, CDR glyphs, dodge (or armor since we're losing dodge soon) seals, and armor pen marks.

Annaed

12-06-2011

Quote:
Cauldrath:
Riven is tanky dps purely because of Valor. AD and CDR are both offensive stats and defensive stats, and it also scales with mitigation. She's more sustained tankiness than burst tankiness, though, so she'll fold if you can burst her down fast enough, but if she gets a chance to shield twice, given equal gold/exp, she's going to beat you 1v1 unless you also have crazy sustain, like ulting AD Sion. Just imagine that she has hp/5 that ignores healing debuffs equal to her AD and you'll be in the right ballpark.

I build Brutalizer, Ionian Boots, Aegis of the Legion (replaced by Guardian Angel if bot lane or Warden's Mail against AD-heavy teams), Bilgewater Cutlass, Entropy, then have a situational slot. The components of those items give me a lot of flexibility in build orders, so I can start all offense with Brutalizer (against a melee-heavy team when we have sufficient melee tankiness), all defense with 2 Ruby Crystals and either Cloth Armor or Null-Magic Mantle (if I'm the only tanky melee), somewhere in between, or grabbing Phage against a ranged-heavy team.

She does have the problem that the closest she has to a well-suited expensive item is Entropy, though, which still isn't nearly as good as Rabadon's or Infinity Edge is to most characters, so if the game goes long enough that I fill all my slots then I don't really have anything reasonable to build. But, if they release a high-value item with just AD and CDR... I don't see her avoiding the nerf bat.

god no.....

Edit: since i got downvoted, let me explain. Riven should not be built with any item that does not give her AD, for it is a wasted item and useless to her..... there are other, better, tanky items such as frozen mallet and atmas..

Annaed

12-06-2011

Quote:
WaterD103:
Imo Riven , at least how most people build is ridicously easy to kill. Its a game of who whit first, Riven kills you in 2 hits, but so fast she dies. I dont think It's tanky dps.

those people dont build her correctly, just fyi...

Ensign

12-06-2011

One thing that's really jumped out at me is how strong a lot of TDPS is when facing other TDPS, while being substantially weaker against kite + tank comps. Characters like Jax, or particularly Sion, are really strong against MDPS that want to stand and fight you.

It really puts a premium on a character like Wukong that has a great ult against heavy MDPS teams, but also has strong close + escape to deal with the kite teams.

Skaed

12-06-2011

I think it greatly depends on enemy team composition. Mobile ranged characters such as LeBlanc, Kat, Ezreal, and Vayne can wreck tanky-DPS if they don't have equivelent mobility. In my experience, "Tanky-DPS" characters in Dominion don't really build that tanky. Most Wukongs I see go pretty heavy AD, for instance, where in SR they'd be 80% tank gear.