Top Tank-y Dps Picks?

First Riot Post
12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2011

Just curious but which champs do people find to be the best 'tanky dps' in Dominion ?

and what builds outside of the generic zomg AtMallet ( or Fratma's if you prefer )

FDru

12-06-2011

Riven - build pure DPS, towerdive and do 2500 damage in 4 seconds to tanks. Cannot escape from and cannot catch "BRB imma dash halfway across the map while snared lols". Oh yeah, two AOE CCs? Yes please. Nothing like interrupting Warwick's ult (on yourself) just by slamming the keyboard right? *shakes fist*

Monkey - omg dat burst. Pain to kill with good use of clone. Good chaser.

Pantheon - see above, except somehow harder to kill than Monkey (spammy hard CC helps).

Blitz - most and best CC in the game hands down. Decent damage, high mobility, very good support, ganker and defender.

Alistar - Like Blitz with less damage, but harder to kill. IMO slightly better ganker than Blitz (especially when you need to get someone off their turret).

Ryze - needs to die in a fire.

Urgot - kind of broken if you can land charges. Kind of "meh" if not.

Too lazy to write up builds, sorry. I don't have a deep working knowledge of most of these champs anyway (as in I know how to fight them, not how to build them).

Edit: I should give Warwick a mention since I play him a lot and tend to do well. I don't know if I'd call him a top pick though, I just find him very fun in Dominion.

The Wrongsword

12-06-2011

I'm not sure how they technically classify, but I've seen a lot of Wukong and Fizz act as a sort of tricksy-DPS where they have a lot of dmg output but are hard to kill not necessarily cause they soak a ton of damage but because they are hard to hit, which is a different way of doing things. Sometimes wukong goes legit tanky dps with hp items though.

Riven I've seen be a very good tanky DPS, I'd be curious how good rivens like to build her. I've also seen good lee sins, GP, udyrs, and graves fill this role. Rammus and Jax of course qualify but they are permabanned.

I cant speak to exact builds, but as for the AD tanky DPS some build Fratma's, all of which at least have a phage in there somewhere, and all of these lifesteal generally from prospector's blade and sanguine blade. AP tanky dps is much more rare, ryze is really the poster child for that and he has his own way of doing things which is easily searchable in guides and whatnot.

Oh and I guess volibear is the newest member of this crew, i would say the same general concepts for the other tanky AD DPS apply to him too. AP is awful on him.

The Wrongsword

12-06-2011

I do think its a stretch classifying blitz or alistar as "DPS". They do some amount of dmg in the course of their disrupting but their real role is messing up the enemy team with CC and soaking dmg.

If your team is relying on these guys for dmg you are going to have a hard time taking anyone down, you really want real DPS behind them like irelia, kog, kayle, etc. I think a real "tanky dps" needs to be able to fulfill the role of team damage dealer while being hard to kill, blitz and ali are awesome teammates but thats not really their role.

And warwick is just bad. He is a tank with some disruption in his ult but he really does very very little damage. Even when I'm playing someone glass cannon-ish like vayne before I build HP, i literally just watch him ult me, wait till he's done, then kill him.

Ensign

12-06-2011

Yorick (for bot lane) and Rammus (aggro tank) are the strongest overall; but both are pretty specialized on the map (and very common bans).

For a general purpose TDPS, I've been really impressed by Wukong. He bursts pretty hard, and his stealth is super effective.

Riven seems pretty **** strong once she gets going - even when built very tanky, she bursts really hard with her ult and can bully people on and off points.

Otherwise? Jax, Udyr, Volibear, Warwick, Sion, Jarvan, Irelia, and more I'm forgetting - there's a pretty deep roster of good tanky characters to pick and counter-pick from.

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2011

ya blitz is fun as heck to play with some dmg and cdr.. powerfist every few seconds lol

Stimuz

12-06-2011

Most painful AD tankies imo:

AD:
#1 Riven
#2 Wukong

In no particular order:

Lee Sin
Udyr
Urgot
Blitz
Irelia

Tankiest tanky DPS is probably
#1 Warwick
#2 Udyr

Rammus is probably up there but I haven't seen him in like 30 games due to perma ban so not really an issue. Jax I actually think is falling behind a bit with all these 3-4 tanky DPS teams I've been seeing.

Stimuz

12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDru View Post
Pantheon - see above, except somehow harder to kill than Monkey (spammy hard CC helps).
That and Aegis. I also see a lot of dom Panths building Hexdrinker as one of their core items, something I rarely see on monkey.

FDru

12-06-2011

I gave up on Volibear. I'm not going to lie, I had some very good games with him. He can be a strong pick, but he has some very hard counters (namely Vayne, WW and Kog but most mages wreck him also) and is absurdly easy to kite compared to tanky DPS who have reliable, instant gap closers. He's a giant ball of HP that can hit you hard if you let him sit on you, but can do nothing if you don't. Basic counters are Flash and ranged CC.

Warwick is not bad either. That's going way too far. He does lack damage (more because he is forced to build tanky than anything) but his incredible sustain still makes him amazing 1v1, he eats tanky dps and tanks and blood scent is awesome in Dom. His ult is on a 40 sec cooldown with max CDR. He's just kind of really gimpy early game.

Alistar and Blitz are tanky DPS because you should be building them that way. Then again, Triforce is all they really need as far as damage items go.

I don't consider Yorick or Skarner a threat unless they go bot where they can get farmed (at which point they become monsters). For that reason I don't consider them "tanky DPS" as they don't really fill that role well during the game generally, they just push bot or bust.

Forgot about Lee Sin. He is slightly outclassed by other tanky DPS but not a bad champ. Very good counter to stealth teams.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

12-06-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

my votes for top three tanky deeps right now are riven, wukong, and skarner.

skarner needs a little ramp up time, but i think all three of them are pretty good at becoming monsters.

12345 ... 6