@Brackhar + ricklessabandon

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rift chicken

12-05-2011

for the re-evaluation of the respawn system, have you tried things like spawning near other players/points? then have gated timers on where to choose your spawn so you can keep together with some coordination?

Brackhar

Features Designer

12-05-2011
3 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenanigansOKeef View Post
Hi Brackhar,

Wondering if you have any plans to deal with the AFK/Leaver problems in Dominion. I posted a thread about it here in the Dominion forum, but the jist of it is as follows;
I've been pushing the platform team to prioritize some fixes to help prevent afk players from getting into game. They're pretty busy though with ranked teams, spectator, and other platform features, but I'm still arguing we should do this sooner as opposed to later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rift chicken View Post
for the re-evaluation of the respawn system, have you tried things like spawning near other players/points? then have gated timers on where to choose your spawn so you can keep together with some coordination?
We tried allowing players to spawn at points in development and people generally didn't like it. I pushed really hard to make it work, but ultimately players wanted an established frontline on the map.

IS1429332aa9b633

12-05-2011

Did you try to change the speed boost near bot lane like this?

RealWolf M

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-05-2011

+1 to Brackhar for actually trying to answer

Nekrogen

12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syl SGM View Post
Did you try to change the speed boost near bot lane like this?
This is an interesting idea, but to be honest that would provide too much utility to the average champion to gank bottom. Also, having the speed shrines there would allow for an easy escape from bottom lane if they are being persued (speed shrine back to base). With the speed shrine as it is, it would take about the same amount of time to gank bottom lane using that as is it would to use the new bottom point route using the new FoW. I'm just trying to expand the routes in which players can gank bottom lane if the the enemy's bottom laner is being too passive (or a stalemate), that's all.

Phourc

12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
I've been pushing the platform team to prioritize some fixes to help prevent afk players from getting into game. They're pretty busy though with ranked teams, spectator, and other platform features, but I'm still arguing we should do this sooner as opposed to later..
Oof. So we're waiting on the team doing... pretty much everything ):

Have you tried bribery? I love a good bribing xP

mufins

12-06-2011

1) Continue the re-evaluation of the respawn system. We likely need a replacement to the window approach to get rid of some of the odd incentives it creates, but I'm unsure what the correct solution is that still hits the original goals the respawn windows were created to solve.

I would get rid of the window system all together. All it tries to do is reorganize everyone's timers so they spawn at the same time and don't have to worry about grouping up and attacking a point together. Just get rid of it and make the respawn time a constant value or one that scales with the length of the game (like SR) and have the players worry about organizing themselves.

2) Spice up bot lane some more. My theory is that some small adjustments to how vision is given on the bottom lane may help make the area more palatable to non-standard strats, but talks are ongoing.

Were you guys intending bot lane to be a 1v1 when you designed dominion? There are number of things that can be done to improve the 1v1 bot lane experience and there are things that can be done to remove it all together. For example, adding another control point between the two bottom points would eliminate the 1v1 meta of bot lane and basically create another windmill. Nexus health would need to diminish at a rate that scales with the number of points your team controls so both teams controlling 3 points doesn't stale mate the match.

3) Add more caster items.

Great idea. AP Casters are hurting the most in dominion. I think the problem in general with them is they have too many eggs in the burst basket and not enough in survivability or consistent damage. AP needs some sort of item like an atma's that gives them incentive to build tanky.

4) Generally try to improve the reinforcement in positive actions. This is an across the board goal that touches on a lot of things - kills, captures, quests, etc. - and extend from subtle UI improvements to larger scale system changes like the respawn rework in #1.

I think you're referring to the points system when you say "reinforcement of positive actions" so I'll touch on that. Basically It doesn't work as it was intended to work which I assume is determining which player on the team did the most to contribute to the win. The problem is that often times the most effective thing a player can do is not recorded by the points system and the opportunity cost for doing so is always their personal rating. Some examples: letting your teammates cap a point that is guaranteed to be capped while you rush off to defend one of your own or attack another. Also bot lane is ALWAYS last place even though most high level dominion players agree that bot lane is the most effective way for a single player to carry the game for their team.

Ensign

12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
2) Spice up bot lane some more. My theory is that some small adjustments to how vision is given on the bottom lane may help make the area more palatable to non-standard strats, but talks are ongoing.

3) Add more caster items.
I think your point about vision of bot lane is on the right track. Part of it is also the virtual distance between your spawn and bot lane; with the way vision works around the points, getting to the middle of bot lane takes about as much time as getting to windmill - and puts you in a position really isolated from windmill.

Now some of that could certainly be intentional, and might be an important part of making the map play smoothly, but bottom lane feels really isolated from the top half of the map - and reducing that isolation could very well bring more ganks, more traffic down there, and break up the 1v1 duels a bit more.

As for caster items, they need CDR. CDR itemization is really bad; mages rely on blue buff and blue pot to get around this issue in SR, but neither is available here. Improved CDR itemization would be a huge boon.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

12-06-2011
4 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helixes View Post
Are you assigned to these forums, or is it something more?
generally speaking, red activity on the forums is purely voluntary and there are no 'assignments' to speak of outside of the official posts like announcements and downtime messaging.

i'm here because nowadays at least 60-80% of my games are dominion games, and i really want to be good at dominion--this is the place to go if i want to see what competitive dominion players have on their minds. it's really helpful since i don't have nearly as much time to sink into the game as i'd like. learning from others is a huge boon and i need it.

so long story short, i post here for some of the same reasons as others that use the dominion forum.

Diagas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
generally speaking, red activity on the forums is purely voluntary and there are no 'assignments' to speak of outside of the official posts like announcements and downtime messaging.

i'm here because nowadays at least 60-80% of my games are dominion games, and i really want to be good at dominion--this is the place to go if i want to see what competitive dominion players have on their minds. it's really helpful since i don't have nearly as much time to sink into the game as i'd like. learning from others is a huge boon and i need it.

so long story short, i post here for some of the same reasons as others that use the dominion forum.
We're glad to have ya!