Does thornmail benefit from spell pen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2gig

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2011

I know it benefits from magic resistance reduction, but what about spell pen?

AntiTcb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2011

Yes.

Killiad

Recruiter

12-04-2011

Thronmail does just 30% of the damage return as the magic damage. Therefore, you can think like its just casting a counter spell against the melee attackers.

Dragonsafe

12-04-2011

Grabbing thornmail on annie after getting a void staff is always a strange thing to see. I've killed people without casting anything other than molten shield.

1davidj

12-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsafe View Post
Grabbing thornmail on annie after getting a void staff is always a strange thing to see. I've killed people without casting anything other than molten shield.
I was playing TF one time and when i looked at my death recap, i had like 1100 damage taken from molten shield. I ended up killing her and doing some other damage, but that was like 50% of my health gone. I was laughing my ass off staring at the death recap. xD

Demonicous

12-06-2011

Spell Pen only really benefits Thornmail if their AD carry.... (you know they reason why you bought it in the first place) is buying a lot of MR....

However I do not think Spell Pen increases the damage that Thornmail returns above the initial value of 30%..... because the damage calculation is based off of their AD dealt to you.... it doesnt matter if you build Spell Pen up.... you wont penetrate into negatives unless you build Magic Resistance Reduction..... Reduction can multiply the damage if somehow you can lower their MR into negatives..... but its hard to do and it usually takes more than just you to do it.... Maybe a Karthus can do it and anyone that can lower their oponents MR with an ability.

LeSalauD

12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicous View Post
Spell Pen only really benefits Thornmail if their AD carry.... (you know they reason why you bought it in the first place) is buying a lot of MR....
The lower their MR the bigger effect spell pen has, actually. So unless you're already dealing true damage to them (ignoring their MR completely), some spell pen could have a significant impact on the damage dealt by thornmail.

Demonicous

12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSalauD View Post
The lower their MR the bigger effect spell pen has, actually. So unless you're already dealing true damage to them (ignoring their MR completely), some spell pen could have a significant impact on the damage dealt by thornmail.
Nice now I know you are the type of person that replies to only the first line in a post. You redundantly re-phrased what I said later in the body of my post.

TealNinje

12-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonicous View Post
Nice now I know you are the type of person that replies to only the first line in a post. You redundantly re-phrased what I said later in the body of my post.
Unless the enemy only has 30 MR and you ALREADY penetrate all 30 MR, it is completely worth it to buy magic penetration.

The opening line of your post (or paragraph) is supposed to be supported by the rest of your post (or paragraph). If your first line is made irrelevant by the rest of your post, your post is unnecessary and unwanted.