My thoughts about Dominion.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DemonHound

12-03-2011

I've played around 60+ games and I've decided to write a little of what I've seen to let let Riot improve this mode.

1. Tanks are anti-fun.
Most dominion games include tanks, one of the most popular one is rammus. His powerball is perhaps one of the most overpowered skills currently. A decent rammus can capture 50% of the windmill before the enemy gets there. Aside from that, he is able to powerball to other capture points with ease; thus giving him map control.

2. Tanky DPS are the staple champ of dominion.
Currently, any tanky dps champ with some form of cc will more likely than not, win their persepective lanes and/or team fights. Squishier original characters have a hard time surviving because they lack the natural sustain that tanky dps get. Namely Riven and Renekton.

3. Large minion waves cap too fast.
I don't know how lanes manage to hold back 3 waves and let it collect so that it pushes towers almost instantly, but it happens. Then they capture/neutralize your turret too fast.

Now, the following "solutions" are just what i speculate can help the above issues.

For the anti-fun tanks, tanks like rammus stack armor and mr, esp thornmail and proceed to wreck ad-carrys and some tanky-dps. I just feel it gives too much power to the team with the rammus; map control, great damage and dsiruption.

Another thing i feel is that every character should start as lvl 18. Namely because generally speaking, everyone levels in the same timeframe, unless you've died a heck lot. Keep the starting gold, but start with lvl 18. To control early-game ult abuse, a ult-lock should be put in place. Such as not being able to use your ults for 3-5 minutes, whatever is reasonable. Why do i say this? Because there IS no reason to make players have to level up slowly. The point of the map is to try and capture turrets and win that way, not trying to get more kills. [This solution would address issue #3 and slightly #2]

Additionally, a 5-cap should be instant win. Or at least, make it so that a 5-cap will take out a huge chunk of the nexus's health at once or continuously. This promotes different strategically gameplay. such as trying to cap all 5 turrets instead of defending 3 turrets the whole game. As current state, 1 player goes bottom; who ends up usually with the lowest score and 3(+1 mid) at top. Make 5-cap instant win would promote a differnet style and/or strategy. [Addressing #1, #2, #3]

To deal with tanks and tanky dps, I think we can remove all defensive states, keep base def only, but translating all the resists to health. This way, carries can really shine and tanky dps wouldnt be a problem. [Addressing #1]

Alternatively, for minion wave control, you should make minion capturing give a cap rate that falls off. Such as 1 minion capping at a regular rate but additional minions would not cap it too much faster. Basically like a y=sqrt(x) curve. [Addressing #3]

PrometheanRage

12-03-2011

Seems like your complaint is mainly about Rammus. Tanks are fine, tanky DPS is fine, burst mages are fine, minions are fine. Honestly, I have seen just about every champ do well in dominion - it boils down to good, reactive builds, teamwork, and sometimes team comp.

Your suggestions wouldn't improve the game at all, sorry.

The leveling is fast enough - different champs peak at different points, so having the chance to do so is nice. (I would love to see a one lane tower game where everyone starts at lvl 18 with unlimited gold, though - that could be fun...)

5 caps do a ton of damage as it stands and often mean you had no real chance of winning anyway. Insta-win is anti-fun. Team got aced? You just lost. Not fun in SR, don't want it here.

Removing defenses? Going to need to rework an awful lot of champs who have skills that use / modify defenses. This is just ....

And last, minions are fine. Any competent aoe champ can one shot the largest minion waves, they aren't an unsolvable problem.

Oh, and 60 games is not a lot of game time, just saying. I am at 250 or so, and I am a lite player. Come back when you have a thousand or so games.

mufins

12-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheanRage View Post
minions are fine
what the hell are you smoking bro? minions are op as **** on dominion.

PrometheanRage

12-03-2011

they are fine - they have a hard counter in any champ with aoe and improved garrison. you just have to be in the right place is all - keep an eye on the map and clear out waves.

Ike Kapone

12-03-2011

I think minions should just drop the turret, not capture it for u.

Tale Feather

12-03-2011

I'm for minions capping Turrets. It makes you HAVE to take care of them. And it makes pusher champions both valid, and a threat beyond simply ganking the pusher.

It's a part of what makes this game diverse and beyond a simple meta that everyone thinks must be followed.

Lameador

12-03-2011

Rammus complain is fine, the rest is bla bla bla.

Cauldrath

12-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufins View Post
what the hell are you smoking bro? minions are op as **** on dominion.
Recall, home base lasers, home base regeneration, the storm shield, speed shrines, health pick ups, fog of war, turrets, and having more objectives than your opponent are OP, too.

SoulNeka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-03-2011

You should start playing some Dominion on Draft Pick's mode. And ban this **** Rammus every single time.