How to counter taric + garen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slaadar

07-05-2010

I've played against numerous games where I lane against taric + garen...and it's just not possible to gank or harass them.

If we focus taren, garen just silences and spins on us. FAIL GANK.

If we focus garen, taren will stun and heal and garen just spins away. FAIL GANK.

If we try to focus both, we might get the kills both it requires like a 4-5 man gank...therefore letting the other carries in the game to farm/exp for a good minute or two.

So what characters/summoner spells/methods are there to counter this combo?

(By FAIL GANK, I mean they're low hp, we're kinda low hp but they hug the tower, garen heals passively and taric heals using his spells, and bam they're back to full hp while we are not.)

I'm sick and tired of this lane, because if we ignore it, both garen and taric end up much more powerful and annoying later on in the game.

Churchy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Friend of Urf

07-05-2010

Kill yourself so that they don't get the option.

No but really just play defensively at your tower. Laning isn't always about killing your opponents, it's about getting more farm than they do. Just last hit defensively and keep your own lane pushed to your tower. Double melee doesn't do well at pushing towers, so just stay back and wait for them to try to push your tower or kill you in the tower, then kill them.

Slaadar

07-05-2010

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm...That's really the only option? Dang, I was hoping for a more hard counter, but I guess I'll just have to out play those two.

On a side-note: if in a 5v5, and they have taric, garen, a mage, another carry and a tank, which one would I focus? Do we focus Taric? or Garen?

Basist

07-05-2010

Some combo's are just unkillable. You ever try to lane against a Janna+Panth? Try to gank them, they'll end up killing you instead.

In team fights, if there's a tank and Taric goes more support than tanky, I would stun him, kill mage/carry, then kill Taric. If the mage/carry(range dps) plays it a safe distance killing the carry(if melee) then Taric is the only next option.

Matuk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2010

Heavy-burst casters, with decent stuns.

Note: You can slow Garen after he stops spinning.

Basically just stun Taric, so he can't heal or stun. Garen is durable and can deal killer damage, but he cannot heal. If he gets to low HP, his actions will be in the "FLEE" category of combat.
A smart Garen will flee and hope you overextend, so keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaadar View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm...That's really the only option? Dang, I was hoping for a more hard counter, but I guess I'll just have to out play those two.

On a side-note: if in a 5v5, and they have taric, garen, a mage, another carry and a tank, which one would I focus? Do we focus Taric? or Garen?
Neither. Focus the mage or the carry.

Garen is durable even when you don't build him as a tank, and an amazing damage soak when you do.
Taric can soak up damage and heal it.
And the other tank is a tank?

If you kill the carry and the mage, and Garen has DPS items and not tank items, kill him next. Make sure to keep CCing on *Taric* as he would be their healer.

Never focus the tank first. They WANT you to.

First rule of war is never give the enemy what they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basist View Post
Some combo's are just unkillable. You ever try to lane against a Janna+Panth? Try to gank them, they'll end up killing you instead.
There are likely counters if you pick the right pair of heroes. Just keep in mind that both Pantheon and Janna are frail heroes, despite Janna's damage shield, and that Pantheon is the main source of damage there.

Slaadar

07-05-2010

Thanks a lot, Matuk! =)

I have learned much today. And if you wondering, yes "I was mad" during any game i was playing against taric + garen.

Hopefully, all of this will help me defeat that annoying combo.

Matuk

07-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaadar View Post
Thanks a lot, Matuk! =)

I have learned much today. And if you wondering, yes "I was mad" during any game i was playing against taric + garen.

Hopefully, all of this will help me defeat that annoying combo.
I don't know much about Taric, but I know plenty about Garen.

Garen already is amazing in a lane due to Perseverance, if he knows how to use it. Add Taric in, and he even gets in-combat heals. For his passive to activate, he needs to stay out of combat for 7 seconds, so skilled harassers will always frustrate Garen.

Garen is also most devastating when his partner can stun for him, thus allowing Judgment to do it's worst.
I recommend Cleanse for the stun, or maybe a Quicksilver Sash, or even both.

Garen will silence you with his next auto-attack if his feet are shining. If your sound is on, you will hear a "SHIIIING" sound effect and Garen might charge forward. The "buff" for this will last ten seconds on Garen. The cooldown isn't long, but it's not spammable either, so try to kite him!

Note on slowing Garen: Save your slows until after he uses Judgment. You will find him easily kite-able at that point.

Can't believe I'm explaining how to defeat one of my favorite champions to play... -.-

Woooooosh

01-06-2011

wait for taric to blow his ult then ignite stun kill him, or have someone with grievous wounds poke away at them, don't forget a taric that is OOM is a dead taric. and its a good idea to throw a exhaust at garen while you're taking out taric. he will blow his spin on nothing and then hes free game too

smellsliketeens

01-06-2011

I got stuck against this combo for 2 games in a row. Luckily we had a good kog maw with a magic pen build, so we would call in support and set up a gank. I think the main killers of this combo would be champs with high ranged attacks. So i would think kog, zilean time bomb, possibly karthus and ezrael too. I do agree though, some combos seem unkillable in a lane, especially a good morde with a stunner.

Bringbackpluto

Recruiter

01-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooooosh View Post
wait for taric to blow his ult then ignite stun kill him, or have someone with grievous wounds poke away at them, don't forget a taric that is OOM is a dead taric. and its a good idea to throw a exhaust at garen while you're taking out taric. he will blow his spin on nothing and then hes free game too
your necro powers are surpassed by few