This game mode is determined too much by early game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrimalHatred

12-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3kn0man View Post
I 100% disagree. For every close game (which I have had many) I have had an equal share of turn arounds, and blowouts. Early might set the tone for some games but just as many I have witnessed have come back around. Some comps are built around comebacks and sometimes they just happen after a few critical mistakes.

Dominion isn't over until the last points tick down to 0.
This. Today I lost a game because someone on our team typed "gg" when their Nexus was at 6, instead of securing the next point just to be absolutely sure.

Anyways, on a more general level, the early game of Dominion matters much less than in SR. Dealing with a carry that got fed for the first 10 minutes off good jungle ganks on some bad player is a hell of a lot harder than taking a few points back. You can recover in Dominion usually just from stepping up your teamplay, while in SR someone on their team will often be too farmed to lose unless they make a HUGE mistake and your team doesn't.

Hell, even for how much people complain about Dominion leavers, they're not as bad as for SR either. Out of 1600 games on SR, I've won under 10 4v5s where an early DC returned, and it was even rarer that that the missing person on our team was useful when they reconnected. In only a bit over two-hundred Dominion games, I've had a couple where we were losing badly early due to a DC, but they came back and we managed to turn the game around.

Cherokeepimp

12-03-2011

It's because they nerfed the XP and Gold Bonus. So now games rarely get past a certain point which means if you play a more mid to late game character you are screwed. I actually liked the way it was before because in my eyes, whats the point of having 18 levels if you rarely at all even get to play your character at level 18. Makes no sense, they should just cap the levels at like 13-14.

Phourc

12-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeepimp View Post
It's because they nerfed the XP and Gold Bonus.
Are you referring to the 10% decrease in leveling speed so it takes an extra 1-2 minutes to hit max level?

I don't think that one was particularly game breaking.

@topic: I don't think early game matters as much as on SR (it is nice that the last round of changes made it matter at all), but it's just impossible to snowball on dominion that hard... a kill nets you 100g instead of 400, and the rest of the gold minus the occassional minion wave is granted evenly.

The LORD saves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2011

SR is determined mostly by early game. Dominion is the opposite... people capture the top point and you only lose 1 point per second of 500. So the idea is not to die too much while your late game champs are eating up the time (giving free exp/gold).

You can viably defend 2 points and feed on the minions and NOT die... later coming back. My team does this in most games if we don't dominate early.

demonicmonkeys

12-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdoflegends View Post
Since I've been playing more and more dominion it has become increasingly rare for games to ever be within 100 points of winning/losing. It's almost always 200-400 point difference because the team that picks well and wins the first 2-3 top fights usually snowballs into an unstoppable monster.

Has anyone else noticed this? I mean, when I first started playing dominion it seemed like the game mode had a great ability to have a comeback but now that I've played more I've realized this isn't true at all, lose the champ pick, lose the early fights, gg.
I don't play dominion much, but when I do, I have the opposite complaint. Usually for me the team who oddly enough starts with more nexus health by minute ten ends up losing badly. I think there should be some more snowball in dominion, actually. It seems like most of the game is dependant on whatever happens in the last 10 minutes.

Phourc

12-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonicmonkeys View Post
It seems like most of the game is dependant on whatever happens in the last 10 minutes.
At some levels of play whoever plans best for the last ten minutes has a pretty good advantage once that ten minutes hits.

Agafaba

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2011

Based on recent threads Dominion is too based on Early game and End game, with too much rubberbanding making it impossible to have a runaway game and yet most games end 400-0

Makes sense.