Hero Cost

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TobyJay2k

07-05-2010

Does anyone else find the hero cost to be ridiculous? I'm not talking BP price, but RP price. $7.50 for a hero? I know Riot Games wants to make money, but ****. Taking the highest $ to RP value it'd take $266.18 (38025 RP) to unlock all of the heroes on RP alone. Compare it to LoL's stand alone DotA competitor HoN who gives you all 65 of their heroes and all future heroes for $30. Along with that $30 you get an excellent interface, clan system, ranking system, and a great friend system. S2 is also known to give their game out for free once they move on to their next game.

LoL's biggest boon is that you can play for free. Which is great but what of people willing to buy into the game? Do you need to punish them so hard?

My suggestion, sell a pack that you can only buy with money (like the skins, which I also feel are quite overpriced) that costs 3960 RP AKA $27.72 (which, with the $35 pack will leave them enough to buy two skins for their favorite heroes) which unlocks all current and future heroes for the purchaser. And then at least half the price of individual heroes. This way, if someone does want to purchase all the heroes it doesn't cost an arm and a leg, meaning more people will buy into it.

IamGrimm

07-05-2010

You can also buy every champ with IP.

Darth Solo

07-05-2010

they already have hero packs

Synia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2010

Riot would never allow future access to all champions for $27.

Personally, I'd pay maybe $75-100 for the same advantage, but it's certainly reasonable as it's akin to a collector's edition of a modern game.

Troile666

07-05-2010

i would pay 50$ for all and future champions

Xeffer

07-05-2010

I don't see why you would waste money to buy all the champions. I like to focus on a single champion and try to get enough IP to get it. Makes the end result more rewarding. Besides, if you just playing a few games can unlock multiple characters (450IP).

Geekweezul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias J Funke View Post
Does anyone else find the hero cost to be ridiculous? I'm not talking BP price, but RP price. $7.50 for a hero? I know Riot Games wants to make money, but I DONT WANT THEM TO.
Fixd.

Also, I love the mentality of "I think this is too expensive, so Riot must not be making as much money as they can because it doesn't appeal to me. Also, with no research whatsoever I've come up with a marketing scheme that is sure to make Riot more money."

Please.

If it's too expensive, don't buy it.

TobyJay2k

07-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmz View Post
You can also buy every champ with IP.
Yes, I realize this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Solo View Post
they already have hero packs
Thanks for pointing that out, I actually didn't notice the bundle tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeffer View Post
I don't see why you would waste money to buy all the champions. I like to focus on a single champion and try to get enough IP to get it. Makes the end result more rewarding. Besides, if you just playing a few games can unlock multiple characters (450IP).
Well, that's kind of my point, why would you spend so much money on champions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekweezul View Post
Fixd.
Sure, reducing price is going to completely null any cash flow they had. I like you're logic, it's not based on reality at all.

Quote:
Also, I love the mentality of "I think this is too expensive, so Riot must not be making as much money as they can because it doesn't appeal to me. Also, with no research whatsoever I've come up with a marketing scheme that is sure to make Riot more money."

Please.
I like how you put words into my mouth. It's as if you have no reading comprehension. I only gave a suggestion and gave an obvious conclusion that more people would buy into it (surprise, lower prices mean more people buy.)

Quote:
If it's too expensive, don't buy it.
Don't worry, I don't plan on it. Heroes can be unlocked fairly easily with just IP. Which is one of the reasons I think the price is too high.

Numbat

07-05-2010

Riot has stated that reducing their RP costs didn't increase sales at all. I find this hard to believe unless no one was really buying them in the first place. In any you could easily spend over $100 on this game alone if you wanted most of the stuff in it. Some people have spent $200. That's like 3 AAA video game titles or WoW + its expansions + 8 months of play.

The main thing about the Riot model which irks me though is the little things it does in order to get you to spend more money. Instead of listing prices on everything, where you'd realize "wait that's ~$15 for what amounts to one skin on one hero?" it lists riot points. It doesn't sound as bad if you're dealing in a completely different currency. Moreover, there's no way to convert riot points back... so leftover riot points leave you with an itch to buy more in order to use the ones that you have. Or they just stew forever and end up like unused gift cards. They also constantly remind you of skins and champions you don't own whenever you play a game, reminding you that hey, you don't own this pretty skin for your favorite hero, and you aren't IP or XP boosted either. You know you want it...

Second, instead of setting lower prices on stuff to begin with, everything is at a fairly high price (somewhere between what I would call reasonable and $25 for a shiny star horse). Then they have sales. People love sales. Steam proves that. Heck, retail stores prove that. Nothing gets people buying like a temporary good deal. The important difference between steam sales and Riot sales is that Steam sales take something that's already reasonably priced and cuts that price. I'm not a mathematician but the only way I can personally justify spending $10 on Malzahar would be because I literally want to donate money to riot.

As a result I don't really trust Riot. It feels like they're trying to manipulate me into spending unreasonable amounts of money on their game. Moreover, I'm leaving the part of my life where I have lots of time on my hands. I don't like spending lots of time grinding as a result, and as I pointed out there are probably more efficient places to spend my money if I don't want to grind.

Now, before you all crucify me: I understand a lot of what PC game developers have to deal with nowadays. Piracy is rampant, so your game will be free whether or not you want it to be. One of the ways of dealing with this is making a multiplayer game and putting everything on your servers. Microtransactions also allow your game to be free and spread much more easily. 2 million accounts, right?

So TLDR I don't hate Riot. I just feel like the only time I'm getting a fair deal is when I buy the champion bundles. The rest of the time they seem to go out of their way to make me aware that that there's all this stuff they want me to buy, but it's all stuff that, while I'd love to have it, is very overpriced when you compare it to pay-once games. As a result I don't really trust Riot as much as I would other small developers.

It's also hilarious that both 3150 champs and 6300 champs cost 975 RP. I mean what the **** is that.