How to fix "Elo Hell"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gnoobi

01-26-2012

The good news is: if you find yourself in ELO hell, chances are the enemy team is right there with you

Nexussuxen

01-26-2012

I STRONGLY support number 3, as someone who has been in the typical situations of an afk banner or an afk person that causes another teammate to autolock revive/promote soraka when we already have a Janna and announce that they are feeding because this game is "lost anyway".
I also kindof think that Elementz's idea is okay. I don't really know though because it feels like its no different than what we have already.... just smaller scale. Though I guess this would help with watching for trolls a bit...
I guess the one thing to point out though that I didn't like is when Elementz generally talks about massive feeding and poor play. Its just that there is a huge difference between intentionally feeding/trolling and simply getting outpicked or outplayed in one or two games.... so I hope that if anything changes, the community still remembers this difference. My point is just that there is a difference between the Eve who suicides into mid turret 20 times during one game of mine and the times where my mid lane got outpicked or I wasn't certain how to beat tryndamere or katarina in lane. We can even see this at all levels of play but it doesn't change how rude and embarrassing this community can be to each other.
Maybe that would fix elo-hell? Stricter rules on raging? Because I personally know that I need improvement at this game but I also know that if I'm trying to have fun and learn more, having someone blame the whole loss whether it is in any way my fault or not is pointless. It doesn't teach me about the game and it definitely ruins the fun and is quite distracting to have 2 people on your team arguing.

tf2n00b

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2012

I support number two

just start new people at elo 0 and go from there

Rumble111

01-26-2012

I don't typically post in forums, but the agony of dealing with people in team select is getting to me. I agree with weighting wins over losses, I think my wins/loss is something like 43/37.

But, I think team select is often where the game is won or lost, so here are my ideas:
1. When you queue for ranked solo, nominate what roles you would like to play. That way the matchmaking would try to assemble a team that isn't comprised of say 4 players who ONLY AD carry (seen a few of those). A sample team could look like:
Player A: AD ranged or AP Ranged or Ranged Support
Player B: AD ranged or AD melee/offtank
Player C: AP Ranged
Player D: Tank Support or AD ranged or Jungle
Player E: ALL roles

You can see that this team might work (assuming current meta trends). C would mid, B would top, D or E would jungle, D or A would bot AD, D or E or A would support etc

Of course this isn't fool proof, but it might eliminate some of the moaning that goes on in team select.

2. You could nominate whether you like to captain / ban. Your profile would rate your success as captain based on % won as captain and compare that to others in the team to decide who is captain. Their chat could be a different colour so people listen to what they have to say (i mean they are successful as capt right?)

3. Agree with lowering elo loss due to leaving at team select. You're still gonna land with morons sometimes and this is often you're only option.

4. Do a ready check after bans have been made so you don't have to leave because someone is obviously afk and randoms a hero.

okay at work - so all i have time for

GracedWing

01-30-2012

I just want a RIOT response. PHREAK PLZ EMAIL ME!

Sky Sanctum

01-30-2012

I like the idea, but I do believe they need to fix the queue system itself. When they allow the queue system to look and grab players from outside of an elo bracket, that's where the 'hell' comes from. I understand that there aren't enough people in certain brackets to always have a real good competitive match, but pushing people up or bringing them down from one bracket to the next creates the biggest imbalance.

I'd rather receive a notification that they can't find opponents or teammates within my elo bracket, than lose anywhere from 12 - 20 points because I got grouped with someone 200 points lower than I.

latitya

01-30-2012

Problem with vote kick is that if you lose elo because of it, it's going to be abused. If you don't, then people can vote kick someone to requeue if they don't like their team comp or something.

Hackulator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2012

Both teams in any match have an equal chance of trolls and terribles. If you are playing and you are good, then your team has less of a chance of trolls and terrible because only 4 spots can have trolls and terribles instead of 5. Therefore your teams should win more than lose and you should move up in rating. If this is not your experience you should probably re-evaluate why it is that you are losing.

Hackulator

01-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble111 View Post
I don't typically post in forums, but the agony of dealing with people in team select is getting to me. I agree with weighting wins over losses, I think my wins/loss is something like 43/37.

But, I think team select is often where the game is won or lost, so here are my ideas:
1. When you queue for ranked solo, nominate what roles you would like to play. That way the matchmaking would try to assemble a team that isn't comprised of say 4 players who ONLY AD carry (seen a few of those). A sample team could look like:
Player A: AD ranged or AP Ranged or Ranged Support
Player B: AD ranged or AD melee/offtank
Player C: AP Ranged
Player D: Tank Support or AD ranged or Jungle
Player E: ALL roles
Sorry for a double post but the idea of a role choice being added to the Q is a good one, just wanted to give that some support.