How to fix "Elo Hell"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toonation

12-03-2011

Or LoL can bring out a type of perma ban and warn people like after the 3rd or 4th game they trolled they shouldn't or they get a temporarily ban or something xD.

Metaphisto

12-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonation View Post
Or LoL can bring out a type of perma ban and warn people like after the 3rd or 4th game they trolled they shouldn't or they get a temporarily ban or something xD.
Heh...LoL supposedly already has this, but we can all see how great that turned out. Oh and if Riot ever reads this (which they won't) how about IP banning bad players instead of an account ban?

A2ZOMG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2011

Honestly wins just need to consistently be worth slightly more points than losses as a whole, and that will solve the majority of the problem.

It's extremely hard to maintain a 50% winrate in soloque, and in LoL there is no such thing as a tie game, so you should be rewarded in the long run for maintaining close to a 50% winrate.

If you're actually bad, you will be consistently losing more than 50% of the time which will justifiably lower your score over time. I'd say that the chances of getting a cooperating team as opposed to a less than ideal team is in fact pretty much 50-50, so if you are a player that plays average, your winrate should be around 50% and as a whole, the system should slightly reward this instead of having a tendency to be more likely to punish this.

Once you get to high elo matches, this becomes even more desirable given how close and down to the wire games can become. If you're having lots of good games, even if you're losing some, you should ideally be having a net gain of points.

Furthermore the penalty of dodging que should be at minimum halved (probably should cost even less). Period. There is absolutely no reason it should penalize you almost as much as a loss, and this should especially be understood given that the chat system is STILL prone to glitches that prevent people from entering it. Yes I can understand dodging is gay and that it shouldn't be abused but you have to realize that even the slightest amount of point reduction for a dodge will make it clear who is abusing the system. HOWEVER, there is seriously no reason why it should cost 10 points. An average win/loss usually is worth about +-11 to 13 points.

Furthermore, losses when a leaver is present should not punish remaining players nearly as hard. Cut the elo loss on such matches by half and people won't feel nearly as bad (do NOT however cut the elo gain for people who win, since the reason why the system is flawed in the first place is how little reward players get from wins). The leaver of course should lose the usual amount of elo. Doesn't matter what reason they left for, a leave is a leave, and if any reason makes a person a consistent leaver, they shouldn't be allowed to penalize other decent players.

All in all nothing is going to stop soloque from being run by bs and probability, but the LEAST that can be done is making the system acknowledge this and reward people of average skill.

For a basic idea as to how much a win and a loss should be worth, consider an ideal match between people of equal or close to equal elo. Wins should range from 13-14 points, while losses should range from 11-12 points.

Granted you can have bigger numbers for upsets, but on average a win should be worth around 2 more points than a loss.

Parcheeseey

12-04-2011

Howabout make the ELO gain and loss scaling? It could be a lower loss and higher gain below 1200, slightly more gain than loss between 1200 and 1500, even until 1800, then how it is right now after that.

A2ZOMG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcheeseey View Post
Howabout make the ELO gain and loss scaling? It could be a lower loss and higher gain below 1200, slightly more gain than loss between 1200 and 1500, even until 1800, then how it is right now after that.
I don't see why we would remove favoring wins over losses at high elos. High level players should be consistently rewarded for playing games at a high level like they do, and the best players cannot always win given that there is no such thing as a draw in league of legends. The only people that should in fact actually ever stop gaining points are the ones that cause a significantly higher number of losses as opposed to wins. Everyone else should be rewarded for playing at least average.

InPoppyWeTrust

12-04-2011

I have an idea:

The people who leave games (or are deemed trolls to the game by the Tribunal) can lose a portion of the Elo for their teammates, if their team happens to lose the game. This way people who leave will be take more of the "credit" for losing the game than the people who actually try to win the game.

EDIT: And also, if the team happens to win 4 vs 5, then they should be rewarded a portion of the leaver's Elo as a reward for winning against incredible odds.

For example:

A Vayne starts the game, goes 0-5, then ragequits. The team loses the game and everyone is supposed to lose 10 Elo. Instead, Vayne loses her 10 Elo + 2 Elo (x4) from each of her teammates.

Vayne loses 18 Elo, while each of her teammates lose 8 Elo.

EDIT: If the team happens to win 4 vs 5 WITHOUT Vayne, then each teammate should recieve 12 Elo, and Vayne should only recieve 2 Elo.

Now the players who legitimately lose the game lose Elo, but are still ranked higher than those who leave/troll games.

Now Elo (in general) is set like this: Quitters/Afkers/Trolls < Bad players < Good players

Internet Goblin

12-04-2011

How to fix ELO Hell. Play better?

Mykei

12-04-2011

people who doesnt have over 30-40 win should not match with people who do.
In my last game I had this bltiz with 7wins when the others had over 200wins.
but they had the same elo. so this blitz goes top and dies every time he just respawns.
cause he gets extra elo from just starting. he doesnt belong here.
why does other have to lose just because riot wants to find out were this guys belong.

match games with people who belongs at that elo
not mix them up

wi1lywonka

12-04-2011

I feel like in order to play ranked, you should have to play through a current meta tutorial that explains jungling, last hitting, zoning, etc

Cpt Burrito

12-04-2011

I like this idea. I started ranked games a few months ago and my first 10 ranked games were all ruined by a troll. After much frustration and many normals my play has greatly improved and I went on a 7 ranked win streak. After winning that many games in a row my ELO is still in the hell range. The boost on the first ranked games screwed me over. Now I'm trying to climb out of hell and it's a tough journey. I think this plan would greatly reduce ruined ranked games.

But how likely is Riot to do something?