What is everyone's view of Xerath? How viable is he in ranked play?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RaspyTurnover

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2011

1-Get good with him
2-Completely wreck any mid by abusing your range...also sniping junglers at wraiths.
3-???
4-Profit

But seriously he can beat any mid, mightn ot kill them(Looking at you morg)but you can farm so safely tehy can't either.

DucktickIer

12-02-2011

Xerath is probably the strongest pick in the game and the next in line for a small but needed nerf. He absolutely dominates at the high elos and if you check out tournament data he has shined in there really well too. He doesn't have very many counters mid while he himself counters a great deal many casters. Cass, Karth, Annie are all destroyed by him. Gragas is pretty much one of the only mages that does considerably well against him. Brand can hold his own but probably not win the lane.

DucktickIer

12-02-2011

Also Xerath is terribly easy to use. Simply don't get caught in your W and know your damage. By know your damage understand that if you farmed that you should be able to kill anyone if your ult is up at long range. Stun ult q ult ult deaders.

donkrx

12-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincent View Post
considered the strongest ap carry in the game atm. so basically hes op
I play xerath a lot, I agree, he's really strong.

The thing that makes him feel clunky is that while he has long range, his combo takes 3-4 seconds to finish and even more if you want another Q in there ........ I think new Xerath players underestimate the delay in his spells which means they end up dying if they're too aggressive. Even though he's got epic range I still feel like I have to think about my positioning a lot. Other APs like Annie don't have to predict the fight, they just have to catch someone for an instant. I mean Annie has less range sure but her damage is almost instantaneous which, in a different sense (and/or against different champs), helps her stay safe.

So he needs a strong front line, one that can sustain a fight for a bit. Cho/Kassadin are good against him because they can get thru the front line and silence him and deal damage. Because there are pretty good counters to him I don't feel like he is broken (as in seriously unbalanced), he just might need some tweaking like a small amount of damage less on his R (base damage prob). I don't want to see a CD increase as he actually relies on his ult a lot to kill people.

Oscar was here

12-02-2011

his range is stupid, hes freaking hard to lane against...

YoWombat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2011

His W is basically a giant neon sign shouting "I'm here! Throw your Ashe/Ezreal ult/Nidalee spear, etc at me!" His other abilities are fine, but you pretty much have to play like his W doesn't exist, and only use it if you're standing behind a wall firing at a team fight.

You also need to rush CDR, otherwise he spends far too long with nothing but a crummy auto-attack inbetween casts.

His passive has a negligible effect.

What I feel they should have done is make his ult a regular ability and make his W the ult. He just feels off without enough proper spells to cast, ie everytime your ult is off cooldown.

Dr Plutonious

12-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoWombat View Post
His W is basically a giant neon sign shouting "I'm here! Throw your Ashe/Ezreal ult/Nidalee spear, etc at me!" His other abilities are fine, but you pretty much have to play like his W doesn't exist, and only use it if you're standing behind a wall firing at a team fight.

You also need to rush CDR, otherwise he spends far too long with nothing but a crummy auto-attack inbetween casts.

His passive has a negligible effect.

What I feel they should have done is make his ult a regular ability and make his W the ult. He just feels off without enough proper spells to cast, ie everytime your ult is off cooldown.
Everyone says he is op and then you say this.

Lol.

MasterCQ

12-02-2011

I pub stomp with him. The only champion I currently have problems playing against is Fizz. But then again, who doesn't?

I've never gotten cooldown, not even the slightest. I get Sorcerer Boots *gasp*.
His passive gives him the ability to completely ignore the need to buy armor. How is it negligible?
Most people do not realize that his W is not required to do damage or harass. While it helps, it's not always available obviously and makes you an easy target. Not to mention, he even gets a speed boost to run away when he's about to be targeted.
I won't even mention the *bogus* amounts of damage that is his ultimate, not to mention that it's an AoE spell.
And to top it all off, his range is *well* beyond that of tower and can snipe with his Q more reliably with just under the damage output of Nidalee's spear (while his ultimate is similar if not larger range). This gives him the ability to often not even need to get close to the center point of a teamfight (i.e. through a wall, or well beyond anyone's reach).

He's underpowered obviously. I think he should be buffed.

framesh1ft

12-02-2011

i constantly rape with him at 1400ish elo. dunno what that means.

donkrx

12-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoWombat View Post
I disagree with this. It only seemed this way to me the first few times I played him. He gets 1300 range for it (double the range of most champ's) and you can un-root yourself after 0.5 seconds which is a very short period of time. The W-Q-W is a pretty safe way to harass and W costs nothing so this is something you almost always want to be doing because they cannot respond if done correctly. If you're consistently taking damage when using W then you're just using it too close to the enemy.

To put it in clear terms, if a champ has 350 MS, then they can move 350 units in one second. Xerath's W has a 0.5 sec delay before it can be toggled and gives Q 1300 range. His Q has maybe a 0.5 second delay on it as well, thus 1 second to W-Q-W and run away. So the enemy can travel 350 units towards you while you're doing this, but your Q has 1300 range in W mode. That leaves 950 range which is outside of everyone's range for targetable spells... and all skill shots like Nid spear will leave you with more time to dodge given the 35% MS buff on deactivating W.

There's really no reason you should be constantly taking damage when using W properly. It's only if you are W'ing within like 900 range that you will be attacked, and in that case you shouldn't be using it. It just takes practice, its way too good to pass up.

I mean think about how annoying (and safe) Caitlyn is just for having a tiny bit more range.