Would this be a champion that you'd like to see?

Yes 38 64.41%
No 21 35.59%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Champion Concept 2: Axel, The Limit Breaker

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draginath

12-02-2011

Hey everyone, I got some good feedback on my previous concept, and I have come up with some new ones since then that I ready to put up; here's the first.

Previous Concept: Henry, The Shattered Mind:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...6#post22153756

Marcus "Axel" Xavier, the Limit Breaker **UPDATED 9/19/13**

Overview:
Axel is a support fighter that specializes in speed, mobility and manipulating the battlefield. With a variety of builds, mastery of him will come in the form of learning how to utilize his control of space to their maximum effect.

Role: Support, Fighter, Stealth, Melee

Look:
Axel is a young man with fiery-red, shoulder-length hair. He wears an orange and white jumpsuit with a pair of small thrusters on his back and a matching set of hovering skates. A blue visor covers his heterochromatic eyes and he wields a sleek, stream-lined glaive to match his swift movements. His speech has an air of cockiness to it, being a champion athlete as well as a genius-level physicist and all.

Resource: Energy

Stats:

Difficulty: Hard
Health: 1958
Mana: 0
Movement: 325
Armor: 85
Magic Resist: 52

Quips:

Upon Selection: “Time to rev it up!”
Taunt: “Who’s ready for the Master of Faster!” "Got it memorized?" (by suggestion)
Joke(s): “Speed of Light? More like Speed of Axel!” “Wanna see me run to your nexus and back? Wanna see me do it again?”
Movement: “Come on, Summoner! Keep up!” “Don’t Blink!” “On your mark! Get set!” “Limitless!”

Abilities: *UPDATED!*

Quote:
Overdrive (Passive): On ability use, Axel’s movement speed is increased by 10% for 7 seconds. This effect stacks up to 3 times. Allies following directly behind Axel will draft, sharing in all of his movement speed increases.
Quote:
Overdrive (Draft Two): Movement speed bonus reduced to 5% down from 10%
This passive is key to Axel's gameplay as it not only serves as a buff to himself and his allies, but acts as a second resource to amplify his other abilities. The draft portion applies to the Overdrive buff as well as item buffs like Trinity Force or Shurelya's.

UPDATE: I reduced the MS bonus because it was a little much after the change to Accelerate. Now, Axel will have a good passive MS buff for himself and teammates, but a good player will be able to use Triangulate and Accelerate to give even more.

Quote:
Multiply (Q): Axel quantizes, creating a clone(s) of him and going stealth for 2.5 seconds. These clones last 10 seconds, take 50% increased damage and deal 30/45/60/75/90 (+25% of Ability Power)(+0.4 per bonus attack damage) magic damage. Activating Multiply removes any crowd control effects on Axel. Multiply summons an additional clone for each stack of Overdrive upon activation. [20 second cooldown]
Quote:
Multiply (Draft Two): Axel quantizes, creating a clone that attacks nearby enemy units, dealing 30/45/60/75/90 (+25% of ability power)(+0.4 per bonus attack damage) magic damage. Upon activation, Axel becomes stealthed for 1 sec. Axel can reactivate this ability an additional time for every stack of Overdrive upon activation. Clones last for 4 seconds, ignore unit collision and benefit from Axel's Overdrive Bonus. [10 second CD, Cost: 70 Energy, Additional cast cost: 15 Energy]]
UPDATE: This new version of Multiply give that same vibe of Axel duplicating himself without it being totally overwhelming. The ability also has some new complexity and versatility in how it can be used now. Axel might want to summon a lot of clones at once or he may prefer staggering them out based on the situation he's in.

Quote:
Triangulate (W): Axel dashes around target location, creating a triangular zone of kinetic energy for 5 seconds. Enemies entering the zone are rooted for 2 seconds and subsequently slowed while remaining inside it. Allies entering the zone gain a shield the lasts 5 seconds, absorbing 200 damage (+80% ability power) and have their movement speed increased by 20% while remaining inside it. The zone size is increased by 200 for every stack of Overdrive upon activation. [20/18/16/14/12 second cooldown 800 radius]
Quote:
Triangulate (Draft Three): Axel summons two clones with 50% of his maximum health. Axel and these two clones will create a triangular zone of kinetic energy. Enemies in this zone are slowed by 30/35/40/45/50% while allies receive the same in increased movement speed. Axel can freely move and the zone will follow. Lasts for 5 seconds or until one of the two clones is destroyed. Zone size is increased by 200 for every stack of Overdrive Axel has upon activation.
This was the ability that I first came up with when I thought Axel up. The triangular targeting reticule seems like a potential skill point and the feeling of creating a zone of empowerment for teammates is always handy. Not really sure about the shield portion of the spell, but wanted to add something so the ability has some scaling with his items.

UPDATE: The more I went over his kit, the more I felt that Triangulate just wasn't fitting in well. This change allows me to keep the essence of the ability and add to this theme of multiplying himself. Adding the clones and the ability to destroy the zone prematurely makes for some more interesting play, especially if Axel has Overdrive stacks when he uses it. Note that this zone of energy is mobile and Axel can move to reposition it to slow enemies, speed up allies, or move his clones from harm. It should also be noted that these clones maintain their triangular formation no matter how Axel moves and will disappear when the duration ends.

Quote:
Accelerate (E): Axel dashes to target location, dealing 70/90/110/130/160 (+65% Ability Power) and slowing nearby enemies by 30% for 3 seconds. For each stack of Overdrive upon activation, the cooldown of this ability is reduced by 2 seconds. Can be used while stealthed. [9 second cooldown, 700 range]
Quote:
Accelerate/Mach Strike (Draft Two):

Accelerate (Passive): Axel manipulates surrounding molecules. Every 5th attack, Axel will deal 55/75/95/115/135 (+40% ability power) magic damage and increase his movement and attack speed by 15% for 3 seconds.

Mach Strike (Active): Axel dashes forward and strikes target enemy, dealing 65/85/105/125/145 (+0.65 per attack damage) physical damage and generating a stack of Accelerate. Generates an additional stack of Accelerate for every stack of Overdrive upon activation. If Accelerate is Ready, Mach Strike will apply it to affected target but will not generate its own stacks of Accelerate.
[4 second cooldown, 200 range, Cost: 50 Energy]

UPDATE
: This new version of the ability is designed to give Axel a proper energy dump and keep that same flavor the Draft One had while easing up on the mobility portion. This still gives Axel a ton of movement potential, but not as up front as the first version. Here, a skilled player will have high up time of the passive while an average player will not. It should be noted that the movement speed increase stacks with Overdrive. It should also be noted that the "dash" is more similar to something like Trundle's bite. It's a melee attack with just a little bit of extra range.

Quote:
Mirage (R): (Passive) Axel and his clones take 15% less damage from area of effect damage.

(Active) Axel quantizes the surrounding area, creating a clone of himself for each nearby enemy champion. These clones attack, but deal no damage to enemy units. Upon activation, Axel will cloak nearby allied champions, causing enemies to see them as Axel himself. All effects last up to 10 seconds. Allied champions lose this cloaking effect if they sustain damage greater than 15% of their health. This ability cannot be activated if there are no eligible targets nearby. This ability can be used while stealthed. Basic attacks reduce the cooldown of this ability be 1 sec. [120 second cooldown, 1500 radius]
UPDATE: I wanted the ability to be just a means a total disruption so I trimmed some of the fat and damage from the ability. Now, I think it fills that role so much better and has some good flexibility in terms of faking out opponents. Its strength comes in a full scale fight, but in a 1 on 1, this in conjunction with Multiply have the potential to give Axel some unrivaled control over an encounter.

Playing against him:

1. Spread out! Axel excels in close quarters more so than many other champions. Staying spread out will minimize his ability to manipulate your team via Triangulate, Accelerate and Mirage.

2.Be careful when engaging him. His ability to control the playing field makes his combat prowess somewhat deceptive. Be prepared for the long haul when fighting him because, odds are, you won’t be able to get away once you do.

3. Be wary of his clones. In a full scale team fight, he has the ability to summon up to 9 clones of himself in addition to being able to cloak his allies. Keep your eyes open for movement patterns as well as spell usage to discern the real from the fake.

Quote:
Lore:

Marcus Xavier, known as Axel Limitbreaker, was a star athlete in the tournament circuits in Piltover. Matching a genius-level intellect with physical prowess, Axel had a knack for finding new ways to push the human body to its limits. Despite success at increasing his body’s performance far beyond many competitors, the young star always felt like he could go farther.

As fate would have it, Axel was chosen to participate in an experiment studying the phenomenon called “Quantizing”. Quantizing, more theory than fact, occurs when a molecule is accelerated to near light speed. These particles are easily manipulated, able to duplicate themselves as well as pass through each other. In legend, this phenomenon is called “The Force of Creation”.

Axel’s heightened reflexes made him a perfect candidate for finally quantizing particles in a living organism, however there is a major risk involved. Should Axel’s body not properly stabilize, his molecules will dissociate and he would cease to exist. Axel accepted the opportunity without much question, enticed by such a transhuman process.

The procedure nearly failed, the machines being unable to accelerate Axel’s molecules to stability. Thanks to some quick thinking by the young genius, the research team surged the system; an all or nothing attempt to force his body to stabilize. The surge was more than a success. Axel’s molecules accelerated beyond light speed. Not only could he quantize his own molecules, but molecules surrounding him; a concept still in its infancy in research. Able to move at unbelievable speeds, duplicate himself and even manipulate space, Axel finally felt he had actualized himself, and there was still more to come.

No longer able to participate in sporting events, Axel turned his eyes to the Institute of War. As a champion of Piltover, Axel seeks funding to further research on quantized molecules and develops new uses for these complex particles.

“I’ve reached infinity. Now I’ll go beyond.” - Axel Limitbreaker -

Overview:

Axel is designed to be a champ whose threat comes not from damage, but his mobility and ability to twist the playing field to his liking. Tell me what you guys think and feel free to give any ideas for tweaks.

Up Next: Gepetto, The Puppet Master
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1862432

Check out my other concepts:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post32018055

Shizuka Kunai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-03-2011

after reading this... the only thing that comes to mind is a blonde haired, blue eyed ninja yelling "Shadow clone jutsu!" and swarming his enemies with it....lol

Draginath

12-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka Kunai View Post
after reading this... the only thing that comes to mind is a blonde haired, blue eyed ninja yelling "Shadow clone jutsu!" and swarming his enemies with it....lol
Lol, wasn't even thinking about him. Was mostly considering things like Tron, and heroes like Multiman. Took some ideas from Freezing (anime) as well.

But I'm thinking I'll probably have to ease up on the clones. Not sure if the game can handle it and how useful it actually could be.

Pyrobaner

12-03-2011

Axel, as in the guy from Kindom Hearts Two? He has red hair and is pretty cocky

DarkNaraHarr

12-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draginath View Post
Lol, wasn't even thinking about him. Was mostly considering things like Tron, and heroes like Multiman. Took so ideas from Freezing (anime) as well.

But I'm thinking I'll probably have to ease up on the clones. Not sure if the game can handle it and how useful it actually could be.
Freezing! yes someone else who reads it!
very cool idea, im a ranged user but i think would definately check him out though

Vendorz

12-24-2011

You should've had one of his taunts, or jokes be "Got it memorized?" that wouldev been sick.

Draginath

12-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendorz View Post
You should've had one of his taunts, or jokes be "Got it memorized?" that wouldev been sick.
Totally.

NE Cupcakes

Recruiter

02-21-2012

Overall, I love the kit. One thing though, is that Axel, the Limitbreaker makes me think of both Kingdom Hearts 2, and Final Fantasy 7. Not a problem, it's just giving me a mental image that doesn't fit your description of him.

The only 'criticism' I have, is his Ult. Both of those active effects are very useful. I'd probably just pick one (Either cloaking your allies) or the other (Clones that target enemy champions.)

BeaverPhresh

Draginath

02-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by R473D R View Post
Overall, I love the kit. One thing though, is that Axel, the Limitbreaker makes me think of both Kingdom Hearts 2, and Final Fantasy 7. Not a problem, it's just giving me a mental image that doesn't fit your description of him.

The only 'criticism' I have, is his Ult. Both of those active effects are very useful. I'd probably just pick one (Either cloaking your allies) or the other (Clones that target enemy champions.)
Yea, I've been thinking on the whole cloning aspect of the champion. I think that it could be really cool because he can have so many of them, but at the same time, it may just be overkill. I'm most likely just make Mirage cloak his allies or make the clones more fragile. Most likely the former since it will streamline his kit overall.

12345 ... 7