How to counter Volibear, straight from Riot

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mjsierra

12-01-2011

Quote:
Volibear can gain great movement speed when chasing targets, but he gets no bonus when running away.
So he's like any other champion when he runs away... ok... thanks...?

Quote:
Volibear regenerates a large amount of health when he drops to critical health.
So... don't try to kill Volibear... gotcha.

Quote:
Slowing or stunning Volibear when he tries to charge will greatly reduce his effectiveness.
Isn't that true for almost all champions??

Am I missing something? Or has even Riot not yet figured out how to counter Volibear?

Ragebeard Manric

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsierra View Post
So he's like any other champion when he runs away... ok... thanks...?

So... don't try to kill Volibear... gotcha.

Isn't that true for almost all champions??

Am I missing something? Or has even Riot not yet figured out how to counter Volibear?
I like how you took everything out of context and completely *******ized the meanings of what they are trying to say to try to prove a point.

Allow me to explain so that you might comprehend what was said.

Bear's Q gives bonus movement running towards champions but not away from them.

To counter-play against it, save your CC for when Voli uses his Q. He can no longer close the gap effectively. As a secondary point, since it only gives a bonus running towards enemies, he can't use it to escape. Volibear has no escape mechanism. HOLY ****

Volibear regens when he drops to 30% HP.

This is a static, predictable, counterable occurrence. How do you counter Mundo? Ignite or EC, or a champion with %- healing (MF, Trist, etc.). It's weaker than Mundo's, so its EVEN EASIER!!! Save these for when his passive activates. You always know when its going to happen. Also, check his buff bar to see if its available or not. Furthermore, harass him and try to make it activate, then go all-in.

Slowing or stunning him when he charges makes him less effective.

See the first point, but I'll explain more!!! (I'm so nice). No it is NOT the same as all champions. It is the same as stunning champions who use movement speed boosters or debuffs to close the gap (Shyv, Olaf, Nasus, etc). If you CC them when they use their gap closing maneuver, they don't close the gap. LE GASP. Contrary to this, if you're Ashe and you spam Q slow Xin Zhao, he is going to Audacious charge your face anyways!!! I laned against Nunu once as Voli, you know what sucked? Taking a snowball to the face every time I tried to attack him and proceeding to only lower my health bar in the process!!! I JUST GAVE UP TRYING AFTERWARDS BECAUSE IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO REACH HIM EVER!!! OMFG

Welcome to the exciting world of using your brain.

HEG TinkleBottom

12-01-2011

the moral behind this is xin is very op XD

Myrmidont

12-01-2011

op didn't really care about thinking or strategy lets be honest, this is just a half hearted qq

2/10

mjsierra

12-01-2011

Quote:
To counter-play against it, save your CC for when Voli uses his Q. He can no longer close the gap effectively. As a secondary point, since it only gives a bonus running towards enemies, he can't use it to escape. Volibear has no escape mechanism. HOLY ****
*Sigh* the sarcasm flew right over your head. Um... you USUALLY save your CC when you need to run or prevent running, so the point is that the "tips" for playing against Volibear aren't at all unique to that champ. Read what you just wrote. It applies to pretty much any champ, and more specifically to any melee champ with a gap closer.

DarkSideCookie

12-01-2011

Lol ur funny as hell lol, dont try to kill him? his passive is worst than Blitz's passive, weaker than singed/mundo's ulti, so u don't kill those champions either? O.o great, lets just watch them slow you and get raped ^.^

and btw, the first quote u put for riot's suggestion is a real suggestion. hes Q doesnt give him bonus movement for running, like Otzd said, that means he has NO escape mechanisms, and thats what riot is trying to say. and besides, LOTS of champs have escape mechanisms, even just a simple stun, while volibear has practically none which is what riot is trying to point out.
Also, adding to that, it means that this is the kind of character you don't try to blindly run away, LURE HIM TO A TURRET AND FIGHT TO THE DEATH,YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY KILL HIM >.> ive seen soooo many idiots coulda got a free kill but instead of attacking they just run thinking that they will lose.... basically what the other point riot is trying to say is.... don't be an idiot, think before running, know when u CAN run away and when you CANT run away

Last Quote: again, ur missing the point, it means that he should be targeted by at certain points so he dont run into ur team and ult ur team or fling one of your teamates out of position. there are chars that u NEED to stun/silence first, kind of like KATARINA, its a suggestion to stun him first, as he can deal some heavy damage when ignored if he has enough hp.
Riot is giving u a priority for targetting, so new players like you won't go and stun their support first >.>

its a bit of common sense, but hey, look at the kind of people we have here in the community

Last Note: these so called "tips/counters" are for beginners only, as the most of the players in the game will know how to counter them after playing the char once. and also, riot don't have the best players in the game, considering that phreak now has to fake almost every champion spotlight now a days just to make them look OP, Players generally develop much more detailed and useful tips and tricks against characters than riot can ever think of

Titan9900

12-02-2011

kennen owns volibear in lane, all i can say is poke stun poke stun.

Ragebeard Manric

12-02-2011

Quote:
*Sigh* the sarcasm flew right over your head. Um... you USUALLY save your CC when you need to run or prevent running, so the point is that the "tips" for playing against Volibear aren't at all unique to that champ. Read what you just wrote. It applies to pretty much any champ, and more specifically to any melee champ with a gap closer.
When I play Veigar, I use my stun to combo my other three abilities off of and insta-gib people, whether the enemy is running from me, running at me, or last hitting minions. I also use it purely for stun purposes when I need to get away, or an ally is in trouble. I also use it sometimes to create a "no fly zone." For example, if we happen upon someone alone in the jungle and see their friends coming to help, knowing that he's going to die anyways I might drop my stun in the way of his reinforcements so they can't assist.

I don't know what game you're playing, but CC is a multi-use tool that is not just used for running when you ****ed up.

Riot never said "TO RUN AWAY CC HIM DERP LOLFAG" they said to use CC when he uses Q. You know why? Because if you are trying to fight him you can effectively kite the **** out of him by not allowing him to use his Q to get close.

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-02-2011

The problem with Volibear isn't that he has no weaknesses.

It's that he does his job a little too well when he's doing it properly.
Where some people might knock you down to 20% health and have you running, he guarantees a kill. He can just run in, toss the enemy squishy, secure a kill, then leave when he pleases.
Get too many kills that way and he'll gets fed, and that's a problem~

Otherwise, kite his brains out. Slow him to death. Build %HP items so that his health-stacking won't be as practical.

Fireryda

12-02-2011

Quote:
i save my cc to cc the person that will **** over my team the most.
whether it be the initiator so my team doesn't get caught out or the ad/ap carry so they dont get to blow up my team.
if you don't use it then you might not get a chance to get them to even think of running as they just cc you first and destroy you.