Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Streamer Spotlight – Shushei!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Puma Namanari

12-01-2011

As much as I love shushei , a streamer spotlight... The very first should have gone to guardsman bob.
For making LoL streams a big thing and generally for being a laid back cool guy that isn't raging and ranting since day one

Phritz

12-01-2011

Shushei the best one to showcase first.

You guys realize though this publicity gives them massive publicity/skyrocket their ratings and that potential drama/jelly could ensue?

Demosthenes

12-01-2011

You know, given that these players benefit financially from these streams, I think it's a little odd for Riot to promote one player's stream. I'm sure you intend to pimp more streams in the future, but I think it would be more appropriate to provide links to stream aggregators in each post as well so the other streamers get some exposure at the same time.

Also, I hope you will not spotlight streams like HotshotGG et al. who show really poor sportsmanship, both in the in game chat and on their streams. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of HotshotGG as a player, been watching him for years. But I think these spotlights could be a good way to encourage these streamers to promote more positive attitudes towards and between other players in game. Riot says 'Hey, we will promote you guys and get you more ad revenue... But you need to act like professionals.', watch how fast streamers turn in to role models.

SexyBabyBones

12-01-2011

Quote:
Enerith:

Hope Dyrus and G-bob get some love.

^

tHL 사랑SMOOCH쪽

12-01-2011

Ok, I'm not going to lie, I actually lol'd.

Company that's biest towards a team, I wont be suprised if Fnatic win the next MLG.

Senkuk

12-01-2011

Quote:
kry0:
please note that shushei is the first streamer we are featuring. We feel the streamer community is diverse, interesting and has tremendous potential and we want more people aware of it. Who knows who could be next

nerf leblanc and evryone will be happy

LimDesWein

12-01-2011

and if you use firefox you can be notified everytime he starts streaming using this addon:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/clgaming_firefox/?src=external-lol

Tybar

12-01-2011

This is literally, in my opinion, quite disgusting. This shows an obvious bias to one player/team, and I feel that personally this is a really unprofessional move by Riot. Unless they plan on doing this for most streamers, I feel that this just spits in the face of other streamers, who work so hard to get viewers, but will never get recognized due to the publicity of streamers such as HotshotGG, Reginald, Ocelote, and Dyrus. If I remember correctly, many players, and pro's, are expecting new teams, new faces, and new personalities in season 2. On that note, the idea of holding a streamer spotlight, completely undermines that entire idea. I'm expecting downvotes, but I felt that had to be said.

MahBallsEsHairys

12-01-2011

please dont do this.

Runix

12-01-2011

Quote:
Demosthenes:
You know, given that these players benefit financially from these streams, I think it's a little odd for Riot to promote one player's stream. I'm sure you intend to pimp more streams in the future, but I think it would be more appropriate to provide links to stream aggregators in each post as well so the other streamers get some exposure at the same time.

It doesn't surprise me.

Whether we realize it or not, streams are a huge business now, and Riot benefits immensely the more people stream LoL. People go to own3d.tv, justin.tv, or to twitch.tv, and what do they see featured? League of Legends streams. That way, players who go to those sites for Starcraft 2 or for Team Fortress 2 see a LoL stream, are curious, watch it for a while, then download the game.

But for that to happen, LoL streams need a lot of viewers. And the more LoL players watch LoL streams, the higher the viewership numbers go, and the more they are featured on those sites.

That's the reason HoN struck up an agreement with NASL to feature HoN play on NASL's stream - HoN badly needs publicity right now with all the competition from Riot and soon from Valve, so they are riding off NASL's popularity in an effort to pick up viewers. I'm not sure how well it's going to work, but overall it's a good strategy.

Edit: You may be right, linking to streaming aggregators may be more appropriate. But generally speaking, people watch streams for the personalities.

TL;DR: Promoting streams is good business for Riot as well as for the streamers and the streaming sites.