Why do people hate Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chide da jungler

Senior Member

12-01-2011

the lack of ranked means I am stuck queing into teams where someone is trying their character for the first time or they are trying some build, which ultimately fails.

I find dominion as boring and random as SR unranked games. You win if your team has less trolls.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mufins

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argodis View Post
This doesn't help by the fact that it is noticeably harder to carry on Dominion than SR.
I don't believe that is the case at all. In fact I started playing dominion under the premise that it felt easier to carry than SR.

SR is divided into 4 different mini games (jungle+3lanes) for about the first 15-20 minutes which are for the most part, independent of each other. You put yourself in a lane and you have no interaction with your teammates until the laning phase is over meaning any of those lanes/jungle can feed or get fed without you being able to do anything about it. It makes SR matches feel much more luck based for the solo que player.

In Dominion you are with your team from beginning to end meaning you can hold their hand and carry them in any engagement they get themselves into. So the burden of losing a particular fight is never on a single player like it would be if they were laning, but the team as a whole. That distribution of burden, I feel, is what makes dominion more skill based and not "oh my teammates didn't feed their lanes so I guess we can win this time".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hugs From Momma

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufins View Post
I don't believe that is the case at all. In fact I started playing dominion under the premise that it felt easier to carry than SR.

SR is divided into 4 different mini games (jungle+3lanes) for about the first 15-20 minutes which are for the most part, independent of each other. You put yourself in a lane and you have no interaction with your teammates until the laning phase is over meaning any of those lanes/jungle can feed or get fed without you being able to do anything about it. It makes SR matches feel much more luck based for the solo que player.

In Dominion you are with your team from beginning to end meaning you can hold their hand and carry them in any engagement they get themselves into. So the burden of losing a particular fight is never on a single player like it would be if they were laning, but the team as a whole. That distribution of burden, I feel, is what makes dominion feel more skill based and not "oh my teammates didn't feed their lanes so I guess we can win this time".
You can't carry Dominion because your team (or individual carries) will never out-earn or out-level the opposition.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R

Senior Member

12-01-2011

2 Reasons:

It was kinda bad on release and people haven't realized it's a lot better now.

People don't understand the strategy and think winning is a matter of luck.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blue101

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althorin View Post
It's just a very different type of gameplay from SR. There is much more running around and small skirmishes, and at least to me it feels like a lot less strategy. It all comes down to personal preference really. Some people like the constant fighting of Dominion, and others like the less frequent but bigger more strategical fights in SR.
this, and they Nerfed most of my favorite champions in dominion, with that 20% heal nerf.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mufins

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugs From Momma View Post
You can't carry Dominion because your team (or individual carries) will never out-earn or out-level the opposition.
You are 100% correct. Items don't win dominion games, skill does.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blue101

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzol Ryzo Ryz R View Post
2 Reasons:

It was kinda bad on release and people haven't realized it's a lot better now.

People don't understand the strategy and think winning is a matter of luck.
I disagree to the first one it was a lot better on release the games lasted longer and were closer with fewer completely one sided stomps that are all I ever see now (be it us stomping them or the reverse). Its more fun to have a close game than a decided at champion select game.