how does SMC fan control work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thelandan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

11-30-2011

a few months ago boomp recommended i use it on one of my old threads, but i never really got around to using it. lately i've been getting horrible FPS (since the vollibear patch), so i'm thinking of using it.

however, i'm not sure how to use it, and if doing so will shorten the lifespan of my macbook (won't running the fans on high eventually take its toll on the system?)

Boompje

Senior Wrenchmen

11-30-2011

SMC is a great program. It is optimized for every other Mac. SMC isn't harmful to your Mac. The program knows which RPM's are safe, and won't allow you to push it further.

I'd suggest you just download it. I want to give you one advise, don't go around playing with the settings. Just use "Default" and "Highest", you don't need any other configuration.

thelandan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

12-01-2011

okay i downloaded it, what do you mean by default and highest though? i only have 2 options, default and higher RPM. but i can only pick one of them, so which should i use, and under what circumstances?

Ediwir

Wrenchman

12-01-2011

default... whenever possible.

higher... during games.

thelandan

Senior Recruiter

12-01-2011

gotcha. sorry for the noobitry thanks as always.