Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to Defend: A Dominion Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dremare

12-01-2011

Quote:
Speusippus:
How about Leona? Her W and R both are AoE, so can stop multiple captures, and the W is good for minion clearing at least at mid-to-late game.

She's slow, but (whisper) I like to put Mob Boots on her... (/whisper)

Leona seems to be a great pick; I just haven't played enough of her to make a good judgement.

Dremare

12-01-2011

Updated with Leona information.

Dremare

12-02-2011

Updated with Prospector's Ring information.

Dremare

12-04-2011

Updated with Fiddlesticks information; he's not a tank, but I've been having some success with him. Also Cho'Gath.

Sir Headless VII

12-04-2011

Why no frozen mallet? I don't play tanky generally but its gigantic health boost and slow seem right up the alley of a defending tank. I know when i am defending as hiemer (which I realize is a completely different beast) slow is the difference between death and life most of the time.

Dremare

12-04-2011

Quote:
Sir Headless VII:
Why no frozen mallet? I don't play tanky generally but its gigantic health boost and slow seem right up the alley of a defending tank. I know when i am defending as hiemer (which I realize is a completely different beast) slow is the difference between death and life most of the time.

I'll investigate it, but I think that the resistances and pushing power provided by the Sunfire Cape serves you better, in addition to most tanks scaling off of AP. I could be completely wrong though; I have to look into it.

Also thanks for reminding me that I REALLY need to add Heimer into this guide. Shame on me for forgetting the king of defense!

Dremare

12-05-2011

Updated with mana potion, Frozen Mallet, Shurelya's Reverie, Philosopher's Stone, Zhonya's Hourglass, Heimerdinger, and Taric information.

Aikimiller

12-06-2011

Jarvan is feeling awfully left out. His skillset makes him pretty much fantastic everywhere, but that Ultimate of his combined with garrison, followed by his slow and his knock up, can severly punish anyone dumb enough to try to cap your point when it's up. He's tanky, and with a couple damage items can become an extremely serious threat, and he clears minion waves like a boss. Additionally, he has an incredible amount of flexibility in his build- he can go full tank, or heavy damage, or AS/magic damage on hit, giving him a very good capacity to counter whatever defenses the enemy is building.

Seriously, try him out, I personally think he's a sleeper OP on dominion.

Also, a word on Shen in dominion. He's terrible Bot. I mean, really, really super duper bad. Heimer and Yorick can just push past him and ignore him completely. I love shen, he was my first main, his blood moon skin is the best in the game, but that doesn't change the fact that he's bad. He has no damage, is outranged extremely easily, no utility, he's slow, and his ult has a ridiculous CD for what it actually does on this map. Because of these things- he's actually a pretty useless defender. The one role he does excel at though, is tanking for his team. He's a fairly decent assault tank, particularly good at leading a tower dive, and he can defend if he has a teammate backing him up, but he's pretty much useless on his own.

Dremare

12-06-2011

Jarvan excels at single target damage; his entire kit is based around him ignoring the rest of the team to get to the squishes. Combined with his long cooldowns, I just do not see him optimally being used as defense against multiple people.

I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of Shen. Well, I agree with your assessment with Bottom Lane Shen, yes, that is useless, but you should NEVER, EVER, under ANY circumstances play him as a bottom lane. He is far from useless; he does not need damage, as he is a tank, and his ultimate is still incredibly useful despite it's cooldown (don't all global ultis have long cooldowns?). He is a windmill fighter; his spmmable q and taunt are invaluable, his dash gives him an extra edge to get to the point, and his spammable q actually does a decent amount of damage earlygame. Ghost and his dash make up for his inherent slowness, and his taunt can affect minions, an incredibly important part to defending on point. You seem to have vastly underestimated him; if you'd like I'll play a game with you later to show you what I'm talking about.

There is a difference between defending and winning a lane. This guide is about the former.

Also, defenders are always incredibly team dependent. This has never changed.

Dremare

12-09-2011

Updated with Amumu information.