How to Defend: A Dominion Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dremare

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2011

I've been seeing a lot of people grabbing an early lead, but then being victim to an insane comeback because they COULD NOT DEFEND. Now though the cap 3 hold 3 strategy is not exactly the best one out there, the main rules of defense will still help you no matter how many points you have.

RULE 1. PICK A DEFENDER.
Now I understand that Dominion is the home of the Tanky DPS, the Tanky Casters, the AD Carries, and other such whatnot. However, a well played Maokai, Malphite, or even Shen can solidify your win. Defense wins games. But what should you look for in a defedner?

1. Ability to stop multiple captures.
This is why Singed is not the best pick for defense. He cannot stop multiple captures at the same time, he must run around to autoattack each champion in order to stop their capture. This may not sound like that big of an issue, but in actuality a well-coordinated team will know to cycle their captures to completely negate your pitiful attempts.

2. Ability to stop creep waves.
A good pusher tank, such as Galio or Malphite, really shines because they can obliterate the 20-some minions raping your capture point as you chase that pesky champion around. People often underestimate the creeps, but you need to keep that capture point squeaky clean.

3. Relatively short cooldowns/ability to fit cdr into the build.
It doesn't matter how much you can tank or how many captures you can stop if you can only do it every 16 seconds. Not much explanation needed.

4. Mobility.
It doesn't matter how you fought off their 3 man at bot if their ninja'ing your mid. You need to be able to get around quickly; basically you need to be a mapwide presence.

Some good defenders to pick:
Maokai- Great burst, 3 skills that can interrupt multiple captures, tanks like a boss due to ultimate 20% damage reduction, incredibly tanky due to RoA, saplings actually interrupt captures twice in addition to raping minions. Don't think too hard about that last one. Also, he's an INCREDIBLE bottom lane.

Malphite- Ultimate is one of the best in the game due to being a long-range wall charge. Also clears creeps like a boss, and synergizes AMAZINGLY with the Sunfire Cape.

Shen- He is incredibly underrated. Automatic mapwide presence with his ultimate, spammable Q that makes the capper's life hell, and a taunt to get EVERYONE (including minions!) off of your point. I'm actually looking forward to a useful W; he already tanks just as well as the others without one.

Leona-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascleph View Post
I have to clarify a few things as a Leona player:
- Her pushing power stops being lackluster before midgame even starts. Q, W and E can clear a wave just fine, hell even R which is on a extremely low cd if you are that desperate, specially if you are not building her pure tank, which you shouldnt.
- Her dmg is not high, but if build right she can 1 on 1(Even 1 on 2/3, under a tower) anyone and either make them run when they realize they'll die or kill them if they decide to stay.
- Her cds are not bad at all, a CDR capped build can turn you into a scary stun bot that flies through the battlefield with her E.

Masteries/runes + FH + Kindlegem is all she needs to be CDR capped and actually gets defense from that too + she is naturally tanky. After that you can build offense(Lichbane or TF) or take advantage of defensive items that give you offensive stats too, like Abyssal Scepter, Atma's, Thornmail, etc.
Leona in dominion is not like in SR, if your dmg is lackluster thats because you are building her wrong.
Fiddlesticks- He is not tanky AT ALL. However, his ultimate and his dark wind can interrupt multiple captures and decimate minion waves, and his fear and drain make him slightly more survivable than one might think. He won't be able to defend nearly as well as the others, but if he crowstorms in while camping the fog of war he'll get at least one person off of your point. Or dead. Zhonya's Hourglass is a MUST on this guy.

Cho'Gath- His naturally high HP is a great asset while you're camping a point. 2 AoE interrupts, in addition to your autoattacks having an AoE is great for any defender. I've been having a bit of trouble finding a balance between being a godly tank and instagibbing people with your AP-stacked Feast, but I'm sure it's there. A very strong pick for either top of bottom lane.

Heimerdinger- A great bottom laner because of his pushing power. His skills decimate minion waves, and they are AoE interrupts, and turrets and other whatnot. His turrets make it hell for anyone to try to capture a friendly/neutralized point, but his innate squishiness makes Zhonya's Hourglass a must. A godly defender with a high skillcap.

Taric- His stun gives him an extra edge at the first fight at top, and his passive armor/armor shred synergize well with most teams. His heal is pretty worthless unless you level it first, but his ultimate is the real zinger here. Most who attempt to dive you when defending will underestimate your pure damage output when coupled with the tower; he is one of the weaker picks, but by no means a bad one.

Amumu- His cooldowns are a bit on the longer side, and coupled with his lack of mobility he's on the weaker side. However, once he gets to the tower, you've basically got it secured. His ultimate is a real gamechanger in some later battles, and his W ability combined with his E and a Sunfire Cape make minions cry. Shurelya's Reverie is a great item to take care of his two major issues.

Alistar- I thought that he would be relatively useless, but in actuality his passive is a great minion clearing tool. Also considering the fact that he can build damage while still tanking incredibly well due to his ultimate, he is a great choice for defense. He isn't exactly mobile; pick up a Shurelya's Reverie on this guy.

Kassadin- I have no personal experience playing him; however from the skilled Kassadins I have seen on my team, he is incredible. Riftwalking onto enemies to interrupt is a risky tactic, but it still deals tons of damage when fully stacked, in addition to making minion waves disappear. I'd suggest Zhonya's Hourglass for when you're riftwalking into the thick of things, but some of the more skilled players I've seen don't need it.

Ryze- His tanky itemization is great for defending; combine this with his ultimate and bouncing E and you have a great defense on your hands, but you'll still have a bit of trouble with the minion waves. Just remember to spread your combo out on multiple targets instead of blowing your load all on one person.

Wait list: Soraka, Rumble.

RULE 2. SUMMONER SPELLS.
I'm sure that there are other choices, but what I find best for defense is GHOST and GARRISON.

GHOST: You can get everywhere faster. I don't exactly see the downside here. You can get to points to defend faster, you can run to cap faster, you can get to your allies faster, you have better positioning, no downsides.

GARRISON: Now I can see this being pretty controversial. However, it's main power is that YOU CAN STOP CAPTURES FROM A DISTANCE. You don't use it to make your tower rape more, you don't use it to make their tower useless, you use it when that stupid backdoor Shaco is trying to grab your mid, when that Yorick is pushed up to your bottom and you're ghosting there from spawn, YOU USE IT WHEN PEOPLE ARE CAPPING YOUR POINT. That is the power of Garrison, and that is why it is the best Dominion Summoner Spell in this summoner's opinion.

I'm sure there are other options. This section is open for whatever other people manage to convince me of.

RULE 3. ITEMS
Well, here's where I spout some generic tank build. I will not disappoint!

EARLY GAME
Giant's Belt- Health which allows you to tank more damage and not get raped nearly as fast? Yes please! I actually don't find this a very good choice because of just how much gold it costs, but it's alright if you're forced to go bot with a manaless tank (Shen). God help you if you do though.

Chain Vest- A good amount of armor which lets you live longer? Yes please! It also builds into a ton of useful items. Though due to the lack of HP I discourage taking it on anyone except for maybe Malphite.

Heart of Gold- Low-cost, health, AND gp5? Yes please! But the stats it gives aren't really that useful; if you get one and boots you have a huge amount of gold that would be wasted on health potions, but not enough to buy anything.

Philosopher's Stone- Low-cost, health and mana regen, AND gp5? Yes please! But it's sort of in the same boat as HoG; you'll need to play smart to make up for your lack of offensives/survivability in the fight at top.

Prospector's Blade- Early game damage and health? Yes please! I consider this by far to be one of the best items to take if you're going top. Though it doesn't build into anything and doesn't scale with most tanks, the boost to your autoattacks and extra health are a much bigger thing than you may think. But still. Doesn't really build into anything, so make good judgement.

Prospector's Ring- Small boost to my abilities, and extra health? Yes please! Extremely useful for champs like Amumu, Galio, and Leona who don't really do anything at all with their autoattacks. Still doesn't build anything, and it's slightly weaker than the Prospector's Blade, but if you're going to play a Tank and you're not bottom lane this is one of the better items to take.

Catalyst- Health, mana, AND regen every level when there is an ambient exp gain? Yes please! I find this THE BEST item for a tank that can go bottom lane. Though you miss out on some movement speed, the sustain it gives you is invaluable. And it builds into...

Rod of Ages- Health and Mana and Ability Power and Health and Mana regen and gets better as the game goes along? Holy **** yes please! This is a ****ing amazing item! Well, honestly, it is very champion specific to those who can go the bottom lane, but it absolutely shines when they use it.
A word of warning, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobocop View Post
You still get more stats than what you pay for RoA even with no stacks, although if the game has moved past the 8-10 minute mark, it's probably a better idea to just get an Odyn's Veil.
Health Potions- Health regen which allows you to stay in fights/not die longer? Yes please! It's always good to pick up one or two for that early game skirmish at the windmill.

Mana Potions- Meh. Waste of money.

MID-ENDGAME
Sunfire Cape- Health and armor in an AD-dominant environment? Yes please! Also helps a bit with clearing minion waves.

Force of Nature- Movespeed and health regen when you're going to be camping a few points simultaneously? Yes please! Also helps with most of the popular AP picks.

Frozen Mallet- Permaslow and huge amounts of health? Yes please! It's great on some of the more dps-ey tanks, but it's gold cost and lack of resistances make it hard to fit into most builds; It's great if they're stacking one type of damage and you can more or less ignore the other.

Shurelya's Reverie- CDR and a mini-ghost to get to those towers faster? Yes please! This is an amazing item on some of the less mobile defenders, such as Leona. The hp and mp regen never hurt as well.

Zhonya's Hourglass- Invincibility, armor, and ability power? Yes please! This is a MUST GET item for most of the squishier AP defenders a la Fiddlesticks and Heimerdinger. Proper use of it's active is the difference between a tower saved and a tower lost.

Mercury Treads- Tenacity when most champions these days have some form of CC? Yes please! Also movement speed and whatnot.

ENDGAME
Guardian Angel- A second chance to make the capper's life hell? Yes please! Also more defenses. Woop.

Odyn's Veil- 10% reduction to ALL magic damage? Yes please! The active is also a nice AoE interrupt.

Randuin's Omen- An active that basically cockblocks their damage output on you when you're defending? Yes please! Also more armor and health regen are great, and if you have a little extra gold at some point it never hurts to get a Heart of Gold.

SITUATIONAL (Build according to other team.)
Thornmail- Throwing those Tanky DPS' damage right back in their face? Yes please! Awesome item, though relatively useless against AP.

Frozen Heart- Cooldown reduction and reducing attack speed? Yes please! This is a great item but I find it isn't that cost effective in relation to your tanking ability as it provides no health. A glacial shroud earlygame could still be really good if you have the HP to back it up.

Spirit Visage- Health and cooldown reduction? Yes please! The MR you get is great, but it's useless on champs with no sustain a la Singed/Malphite.

Any other type of Boot- Movement speed. Whoo. But honestly, use your best judgement. They don't have a lot of cc? Mobility or Swiftness. You need more tanking ability? Ninja Tabi. You feel like trolling? Berserker's Greaves. Your cooldowns keeping you down? Grab those Lucidity boots.

RULE 4. DEFENSE
And here we come down to the real meat and potatoes of this guide. How does one defend? Does one run screaming into the creep wave and 3 champions capping your bot? No. That's stupid. You're stupid. Defending is an art, and I intend to educate you.

1. Know your limits.
You will not win if you run like a chicken without its head into those 3 champions who have just neutralized your point. You need to know when to give up, or as I prefer, live to fight another day. Actually that's just a euphamism. You need to know when to give up. Believe it or not, most tanks can 1v1 extremely well. But the tower is your main advantage. You lost the tower, you lost your power. You need to move on and not feed them another kill.

2. MOVE.
You need to be everywhere at once. They are multicapping? Garrison one, Ghost to the other, hope your team is not awful.

3. Prioritize.
Your tower is being pushed by 2 people and a creep wave. What do?

Step 1.
Well first of all, shame on you for letting that creep wave grow. Second of all, KILL IT. Creeps cap much faster than champions, and even worse they cannot be interrupted. They can push down a Garrison'd tower before you even know it. You get rid of that wave, THEN you focus on the champs.

Step 2.
Draw their aggro. You WANT them to attack you, because that means the tower is wailing on them. The tower is underestimated, when in reality it is probably 60-70 percent of your damage output when you're defending. If they're attacking you, they aren't attacking the tower, and they are dieing to it.

Step 3.
Get your team's attention. You'll need someone to mop up after those silly little opponents have taken a ton of tower damage and realized that YOU ARE IMMORTAL.

4. Interrupt.
You cannot let them shoot that beam at your tower. You cannot let them neutralize your tower. Neutralize means neuter. It is not your tower, you are losing. Losing is bad. So what do?
Cycle targets.
If they're going to cycle captures, cycle targets. Attack when they channel, so your tower can do work. Do NOT try to grab that last hit on the running Xin while Irelia is sitting back stealing your point.

5. ROOREELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
You cannot have fear as a defender. You cannot hesitate to defend against 3 or even 4 enemy champions. You must run in, interrupt them, and laugh as they try to kill you under your own tower. I find it helps if you scream ROOREELOO both in chat and in real life while this occurs.

TL;DR You cannot read. Sit down and think about where you went wrong in life.

Comments/Fixes/Criticism is welcome and appreciated.

Thank you for reading all of this, and may your next game be graced with your presence as the Defender.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

brossef

Senior Member

11-30-2011

not really i just had a great game as amumu held top like a boss, killing people 1v2 but the only reason we lost is because of a **** ass ryze who wherever he whent he just died, i could get triples by myself but because of one person we lose, dominion is starting to suck due to the fact that if even 1 person on ur team is bad you will lose, i even whent bot and i caped and held it, bu8t my ****y team got caped top and our mid. if i could have one power it would be to punch people in the face over the internet.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Inkyjinx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dremare View Post
MID-ENDGAME
Rod of Ages- Health and Mana and Ability Power and Health and Mana regen and gets better as the game goes along? Holy **** yes please! This is a ****ing amazing item! Well, honestly, it is very champion specific to those who can go the bottom lane, but it absolutely shines when they use it.
nice guide overall, but if you're not rushing a RoA in Dominion, it's not worth getting. generally, you need to have it by 7m in to have it be worthwhile because you're not getting the HP/MP level up boost or the stacks.

i've seen people buy this at 15m and i laugh when the game is over at 18m.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dremare

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkyjinx View Post
nice guide overall, but if you're not rushing a RoA in Dominion, it's not worth getting. generally, you need to have it by 7m in to have it be worthwhile because you're not getting the HP/MP level up boost or the stacks.

i've seen people buy this at 15m and i laugh when the game is over at 18m.
You're right, I'll move it to the Catalyst article. I just put it as a midgame item because I was trying to keep earlygame as 'starting' items.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hobocop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2011

You still get more stats than what you pay for RoA even with no stacks, although if the game has moved past the 8-10 minute mark, it's probably a better idea to just get an Odyn's Veil.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dremare

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobocop View Post
You still get more stats than what you pay for RoA even with no stacks, although if the game has moved past the 8-10 minute mark, it's probably a better idea to just get an Odyn's Veil.
You're right. I'll add this on to the RoA notes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jpeg

Senior Member

12-01-2011

why you hate singed... ur lucky i didn't downvote :P

anyway, seems more like a malphite/shen guide than general information. some good information but i think you could make it more focused (either general info, or specific champ guide).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Speusippus

Senior Member

12-01-2011

How about Leona? Her W and R both are AoE, so can stop multiple captures, and the W is good for minion clearing at least at mid-to-late game.

She's slow, but (whisper) I like to put Mob Boots on her... (/whisper)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Diabloman CQ

Senior Member

12-01-2011

well played sir. Thank you for giving Malphite some love as he is my main when i play DOM.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dremare

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeg View Post
why you hate singed... ur lucky i didn't downvote :P

anyway, seems more like a malphite/shen guide than general information. some good information but i think you could make it more focused (either general info, or specific champ guide).
Well, Singed is a great tank but his strength is in offense, not defense. This guide is actually just some generic defending advice; I guess it centers around Malphite/Shen because I mainly play them. However, this also works well with Amumu and Maokai; I'll update it with more info as I try out more champs. (Galio and Leona coming soon!)