[discussion] how do you use garrison?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrimalHatred

11-30-2011

I use it almost exclusively offensively. At top it's great for a dive against a tanky team, like if there's an Udyr or Rammus just sitting on the point with some AoE wave-clearer and making it difficult to capture, I just gather four people for a Garrison and dive. Then it's also excellent for quickly clearing out problems at bot tower. If there's a gank that kills my bot and takes it, when they revive usually just the two of us and a Garrison cast can quickly secure the point again without having to spend time pushing the wave at it.

I play a lot of Riven top and I run Exhaust + Garrison every game. Since she has to spend a lot of time in melee range, I often end up having to deal with a tower to finish a kill and secure the point. Garrison is the best cover I could possibly ask for.

It's also worth noting that I won't always use it defensively, even when there's a chance to do so, because I find the offensive use so much more reliable. If I'm overwhelmed at a point, one person can channel to lock down the tower while the others fight me, which pretty much wastes the Garrison. I'd rather just abandon the point and come back in a minute with allies and use an offensive Garrison that I know has a high chance of success at reclaiming it.

PrometheanRage

11-30-2011

I have dropped it on most of my champs. People tower diving seems to be pretty binary for me. Fight it off and don't need garrison or get blown up by massive burst and lose the point regardless of garrison.

Offensively, I find it semi-useful to tank a turret with, but that only works well with coordinated attacks, and if the attacks are that coordinated, I probably didn't need garrison anyway.

The splash mastery on J4 is pretty nice, though, if I can trap a few people in my ring it is often a triple kill for me. That's about the only time I take it anymore.

Dremare

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2011

I find Garrison extremely underrated. It's main value is not the damage decrease, and not even the damage increase. It is the ability to shut down captures from a distance. I think it adds a ton of usefulness to tanks who otherwise have no long range ability to interrupt captures. It also allows you to fight off a minion wave, 3v1 under your turret, and a multitude of other uses.

PLEASE do not remove it like Fortify. PLEASE.

Dr Rutherford

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-30-2011

I use it defensively when I play bot lane. I agree with you if I were to use it offensively if would be a waste of a cd and I might not able to defend my tower if needed before the cd is up again.

Phourc

11-30-2011

I see a lot of different takes on whether it's better offensively or defensively... I think it depends on the character you're playing.

On a carry I use it to make sure hiding behind a tower won't stop me, I only use it defensively if I have something tanky to back it up since I know I won't last very long.

On a tank it's the opposite, I know I can get a good bit of damage from tanking on the point if it's buffed, but offensively I'd want to have a few friends with me if I'm using it to dive.

YoshioPeePee

11-30-2011

i use it with promote when i solo bot with heimerdinger

i use it offensively on my first push when i have a ton of minions trying to take the tower with me since this can overwhelm most defenders in the early game

i pretty much only use it defensively for the rest of the game as a defensive garrison + turrets + ult + zhonya's hourglass can help heimer win a 3v1 dive which is pretty much the funniest thing in the game if you pull it off

Gentleman Oz

11-30-2011

I think Garrison is more useful for tanks, whose main job on dominion it's to initiate and defend, so garrison helps them in both functions

Also, depending on the champion, Garrison can prove to be deadly (I remember owning a reckless Jax in my point as Urgot using this spell + supress... and that was after soloing a Talon and escaping with less than 50% life!)

North Kozar

11-30-2011

I did use it at first, but now just run ghost/exhaust(or something). I never used it offensively, it is wasteful I think. Usually (if people know what they're doing) one person channels to cap while the other kicks off/kills the defender and so there shouldn't be any turret firing anyway, like what you said. Defensively, when I used it, it was just a longer range interrupt to buy me some time to get there.

It could be useful as someone like Rammus on defense if they dive you, because you can easily keep the turret firing do maximize the damage it puts out. But otherwise I'd take Ghost/something else.

Helixes

11-30-2011

Using it after you get the enemy to commit to an attack is great.

Epjest

11-30-2011

I take it on characters I intend for "point defenders" such as Galio (ok fine ONLY character I play thats a point defender... assassins so much fun) and it REALLY makes the difference in those 1v2's/3's in either letting you kill 1 or more of them and maybe completely diswaying them for a few seconds for your team to arrive.

Not really useful on people who are Squishy and die quickly so they can stop the point from attacking which is why you don't see if often... squishy assassins are 2 much fun.