Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Getting to High Elo: Stop Dying and Build Right :)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

brainlizard

11-30-2011

In an effort to grow the high-elo Dominion playerbase, I want to share two very important bits of information about Dominion:

1. Dying Matters
2. Builds >> Champ Select

Explaining these in some detail:

Dying Matters

Zerging does NOT work in Dominion. You need planned, purposeful engagements where you know you have the edge. Good bot players don't get ganked (I'm not a good bot player :P). Good top players always find themselves outnumbering their opponents in fights. Wait for your flankers before you initiate. Let your iniators initiate. Don't go into the jungle alone.

Also, don't die needlessly defending a point. If you know you can take one opponent with you, great, but you must really know that. Otherwise, you simply delay the cap a few seconds at the cost of nexus health for dying, a respawn, and enemy gold.

Don't be afraid to recall for health or mana!

Builds >>> Champ Select

This is huge, huge, huge. Tanky DPS is a BUILD, not a champ-type. Tanky DPS means that a champ has invested equally in defense and offense. Why does this work so well? Because offense and defense scale with eachother multiplicatively!

Just as a mix of attack damage, attack speed, crit and armor pen is much better than stacking just one stat, a mix of offense and defense is much better than stacking just one!

In SR, your champ has a specific role to play, so you want to focus there. In Dom solo queue, you have to play many roles at different times. You won't get a tank to CC the enemy team while you melt face as an AD glass cannon!

Many, many champs can be built as Tanky Derps in Dominion. Consider an innately Tanky Derps champ like Xin: he has a gap-closer, innate defense (ult and passive), and innate offense (AD and AS). Now consider Alistar: he has a gap-closer, innate defense (CC, headbutt, ult, heal) and..... no DPS offense (he has burst). However, we can build him those stats through items just the same, and they'll scale with his innate defense! Suddenly, Alistar is a very strong Tanky Derps champ!

Five examples of exceptionally strong Tanky Derps builds in Dominion:

None of these champs plays Tanky DPS in SR, yet all excel at it in Dom. I'll be showing Alistar, Fizz, Leona, Poppy and Rammus builds here.

I've tried all of these at the highest elo in Dominion and they're very, very strong (when played right, ofc). Be sure to order the items according to the enemy team, meaning don't be afraid to buy the MR or armor piece well ahead of the major item it builds to! Yes, full items give more stats, but the right stats for the situation ultimately have much more impact.

Also, these are hardly set in stone. I've put in some of the deviations, but it is essential that you build according to your opponents. Early thornmails crush bad team comps. Hextech/Lightbringer are also good to keep in mind. Don't be afraid to get a defensive item as your first tier 3 item vs. unbalanced comps (do get a tier 2 offensive item first, however. This will often be a sheen ).

Note how I'm maxing CDR. 40% CDR represents a 67% boost for champs that use abilities often during fights. It's a RIDICULOUSLY cost-effective stat on these kinds of champs. Be sure to watch your mana with these builds, though, as they are very mana hungry due to the CDR.

** denotes an item that is often built in a different order or even not at all due to comps

Alistar
-25 CDR from runes/masteries
-Phage (start with parts and boots)
-Ionian Boots
-Mantle or Chain Vest
-Wit's End**
-Frozen Mallet or Triforce
-Atma's Impaler
-Long game options: Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, Stark's Fervor, Thornmail, Veil, FoN

Notes: I prefer the constant slow of Fratma's over Trinity so I can force the issue during my ult. Good players will always kite a roaring Alistar

Fizz
-PRing and boots
-Sheen
-Ionian Boots
-Rylai's Crystal Scepter** (delay if you need to be diving towers)
-Chain Vest and Negatron Cloak, in the right order
-Thornmail or Veil, based on enemy comp
-The other of Thornmail or Veil if really needed
-Lichbane (rarely gets this far)
-Long game options: Deathcap, WotA, Voidstaff

Notes: CDR Tanky Derps Fizz is incredibly good at initiating and chasing. Sheen and CDR means solid damage output for very little investment. RCS means nobody gets away without blinking over a wall. I've carried the best with this build, leading the charges and melting face. So hard to bring him down, and the constant Sheen-powered ability spam adds up quickly.

Leona
-Ionian Boots
-Frozen Mallet
-Atma's Impaler
-Wit's End**
-Long game options: Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, Stark's Fervor, Thornmail, Veil

Notes: I LOVE this build on Leona. Just remember, Leona's passive is very important. Stick with your allies (you should anyway). If you want Frozen Heart, get mobility boots.

Poppy
-Sheen (start with parts and boots)
-Ionian Boots (or Sorc Boots if going Glacial Shroud)
-Chain or Negatron (or Glacial Shroud if going Sorc Boots )
-Triforce
-Thornmail/Frozen Heart or FoN** (before trinity if they're unbalanced)
-The other of Thornmail/Frozen Heart or FoN** (can often skip in favor of lifegain)
-Gunblade or WotA
-Long game options: Voidstaff, Veil, Warden's Mail

Notes: Princess OP. Her Passive is effectively HP, which means it stacks with resists (the threshold is calculated BEFORE resists). Sheen and CDR dishes out terrible, terrible damage (equal DPS to 250 AP and lichbane with no CDR, AND you get more stuns and speedboosts, though less burst). She becomes so insanely hard to kill and deals stupid amounts of damage and stuns.

Rammus
-Ionian Boots
-Chain
-Wit's End** (can often wait until after Fratma's)
-Frozen Mallet
-Atma's
-Long game options: Phantom Dancer, Stark's Fervor, Thornmail, Veil, FoN

Notes: SKIP THIS BUILD VS AUTOATTACK TEAMS! This is a bruiser/assissin build that uses powerball to flank squishies. Your CDR and Fratma's means you'll be much harder to get away from, and your DBC will be up so often that you don't need to buy much in the way of resists. Yes, your passive isn't as stacked here, but you make up for it with the multiplicative scaling of a well-rounded offensive item set. Wit's End is particularly for if you're hounding magic damage squishies. You'll be amazed how suddenly it's the casters that hate you instead of the auto-attackers

tl;dr Dying needlessly loses games. Balance your offense AND defense for the most powerful fighter builds. Max CDR is hugely gold-efficient on many champs.

The Dragon

Recruiter

11-30-2011

Is there any way to calculate your Dominion ELO?

The LORD saves

11-30-2011

I concur. People think that because there are more fights that you can die without consequence. People also ignore pushing.

Anything involving time is important... CDR, movement speed, global range.

Jpeg

11-30-2011

Quote:
Glychd:
Is there any way to calculate your Dominion ELO?

http://lolcave.com/ec/

not 100% accurate, but it'a an estimate

brainlizard

11-30-2011

A good indicator is that you'll recognize everyone's name in game

Also, it changes over time. A few weeks ago, +30 wins would put you against the top tier fairly often. Now, you'll need around +40 or +50 before you'll be playing with the +100 on up crowd.

And BTW, there are a LOT of the +40-50 crowd that belongs at the +100 level, it's just that the +100 guys tend to play fewer champs. I've seen Nek play J4 and Ryze and maybe one other. In a few months, I think it will get better for everyone as the good players get more consistent. Dominion is very, very carry-able at the +30 level.

Jpeg

11-30-2011

Quote:
brainlizard:
A good indicator is that you'll recognize everyone's name in game

Do you play blind pick?

brainlizard

11-30-2011

Quote:
Jpeg:
Do you play blind pick?

I have to in order to get games Sucks, because draft is way better.

Jpeg

11-30-2011

Quote:
brainlizard:
I have to in order to get games Sucks, because draft is way better.

i just man up and take the 15 min queues :P i despise yorick/ryze/kogmaw/xtank/xbruiser mirror matches

brainlizard

11-30-2011

Quote:
Jpeg:
i just man up and take the 15 min queues :P i despise yorick/ryze/kogmaw/xtank/xbruiser mirror matches

I hear ya, though at least Yorick and Ryze bore people away after a while

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

11-30-2011

Quote:
Jpeg:

i play both but by default i prefer blind pick just to get better perspective on champion/strat balance. the theory being, i want to play in the environment in which the most op strats are allowed. i feel it gives a much better foundation for making draft bans/picks.

there's actually a good amount of diversity (more than i expected), and i really only regret my decision to play blind when i see kass or ryze.