A newbie's guide to everything Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nekrogen

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Added in some additional reading to point to stuff that's already available.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrimalHatred

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Some stuff I wrote about top in the other thread, if you'd like to use any of it for this feel free:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalHatred View Post
I've lately started playing some very aggressive botlanes, but generally I'm top player, so I can share some insights there:

Initial Windmill Fight:
It's usually all about harassing and Exhausts. Anyone who gets caught out of position will likely be Exhausted, killed, and the numbers advantage snowballs from there for an easy victory. If nobody blatantly screws up, the general strategy of the fight is to have a tanky character move in and catch a non-tank to start the fight (similar to Rift).

Once the fight has started, the goal is to immediately spread your Exhausts around while concentrating fire on someone. It's generally not worth saving the Exhausts, just drop them all on their damage dealers, while trying to focus people down one at a time. Basically your team reduces their ability to focus fire someone to death, while simultaneously picking people off quickly as possible. Once the mess of Exhausts wears off, if your team did it properly and theirs did not, you should have a numbers advantage that will allow you an easy cap.


Garrison:
After the first fight, Garrison becomes very powerful, so make sure to have one on the team. If they have a a few fatties camping on the point (Udyr, Rammus, etc) the standard strategy to break it is to push the minion wave (Nekrogen covered this). However, depending on their team comp, they may have enough AoE to repel minions indefinitely (Sivir, Brand, etc). Garrison lets your team to just do an all-out dive on the point, so you have a chance at getting back in the game.

Garrison is also very useful for bailing out bottom. If something goes wrong and your bottom point is lost, it's important not to spend too much time solving the problem. Devoting a lot of players or time to recapturing bot makes it easy for your opponents to take the Windmill, while also just generally bleeding points off of your Nexus. Garrison gives you the option to quickly swing by bot, disable the point, murder everyone there, and then go on your merry way back to top. It's fast and dirty, and recapturing bottom is somewhere that fast matters.

Positioning:
If your team has secured the Windmill, don't just camp directly on top of it all of the time. Sometimes this is appropriate, but doing it too frequently will just lead to the other team sending two to distract at the windmill, while one tries to cap your mid and the last one ganks bottom. Your team will be busy sitting on the point, far away from any speed shrines and the whole map will fall apart from under you before you know what happened. It's better to strategically position your team in the jungle, near the speed shines. This allows you to gank incoming players from bushes -- often with a numerical advantage, people don't travel in groups in Dominion that frequently. And your proximity to the speed shrines will allow you to quickly respond to any shenanigans they try to pull. Lastly, if your on/near-Mill defender can delay attackers for any decent amount of time, your defenders coming from the shines will still have the speed boost while the other team's will have worn off. This is huge advantage and allows you to easily hunt them down.

Storm Shield:
One other thing worthy of mention is the Storm Shield buff. First of all, don't give it to the freakin' tanks and bruiser. It's much more valuable for someone with range, who can utilize its incredibly powerful poke. Second, the HP it adds is a lot more important for someone like Vayne or Ez than a Jax or Skarner. It's not possible for squishies to stay completely out of danger in combat like they can in Rift -- they're going to take hits. A Storm Shield on them can be a lifesaver, while it won't make or break a bruiser.

The other thing to remember about Storm Shield is that it's powerful, but not worth losing points over. If you have a choice between protecting a point and getting the buff, place priority on the point if you think you have a good shot at saving or significantly delaying it. Grab it when you have a spare moment after the action, while people are reviving. Keep in mind that it telegraphs your location to everyone, so don't grab it when you're off to do something sneaky like dropping a gank on bottom. Go kill bottom from the fog, then grab the Storm Shield on your way back up to the top fight.

Health Relics:
The last thing I'd like to mention is the health relics -- USE THEM. There aren't enough to fully heal up a team, but the three closest to the Windmill are enough to heal up one person from near-death to combat-ready levels. That's one person that can stay out on the field to defend, instead of going back to base. Things like that can make or break the game for your team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mufins

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrogen View Post
Thank you

The 2-1-2 strategy is perfectly viable and effective, it just isn't the meta and the after effects would be a little harder for a newer player to deal with (though not hard in practice, people just need to react accordingly). I'm merely trying to paint a picture for newer players of how Dominion is currently set up, that's all; I do not believe the 2-1-2 is a less viable in the slightest.
i do, **** that strategy. META GAME all the way bro!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nekrogen

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufins View Post
i do, **** that strategy. META GAME all the way bro!
Haha, it only works with coordinated teams. I.e. Skarner goes bottom lane, Blitzcrank rushes their bottom point. Stops them from even capturing it, kills their bottom laner thanks to skarner, double caps bot, 3 caps total. That is, of course, unless their team doesn't do anything about it. Top needs to be informed ahead of time so that they dont all suicide on top point, but rather possibly stop them from going bottom lane once they realize it, or defending your middle point.

If you put sivir bottom and send RYZE to take their bottom point however, they will capture their bottom point first and that isn't accomplishing anything.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mufins

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekrogen View Post
Haha, it only works with coordinated teams. I.e. Skarner goes bottom lane, Blitzcrank rushes their bottom point. Stops them from even capturing it, kills their bottom laner thanks to skarner, double caps bot, 3 caps total. That is, of course, unless their team doesn't do anything about it. Top needs to be informed ahead of time so that they dont all suicide on top point, but rather possibly stop them from going bottom lane once they realize it, or defending your middle point.

If you put sivir bottom and send RYZE to take their bottom point however, they will capture their bottom point first and that isn't accomplishing anything.
The thing I don't like about investing in bot lane is that bot lane has a defender's advantage (its close to their spawn) where as windmill does not. All things being equal, investing in capturing bot seems like an inefficient use of player resources. But thats obviously generalizing things quite a bit so I can't really say for sure until I see more people trying 2-1-2.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nekrogen

Senior Member

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufins View Post
The thing I don't like about investing in bot lane is that bot lane has a defender's advantage (its close to their spawn) where as windmill does not. All things being equal, investing in capturing bot seems like an inefficient use of player resources. But thats obviously generalizing things quite a bit so I can't really say for sure until I see more people trying 2-1-2.
The thing is, they aren't standing in their spawn while they try to retake it, so it's the same as defending top. The only difference is the attackers at bottom get to go back to their base and buy, heal, etc. but this does in fact take time. Let's theoretically say that it's just the 2 of us bottom (so that top isn't lacking resources which is the point of this strat), I take your point and I have relatively low HP, but you're dead. I have 2 healthpacks that I can grab to bring me to about half health, and more than likely some abilities that allow me to sustain. You won't be able to capture the point because I'm defending it, and if you dive me then the tower will more than make up for the missing health that I have. Realistically, you're going to be sending 2 bottom to get it back. I'm going to make it as hard as humanly possible to take that point back without dying myself, allowing for ample time for top to be taken. Remember, you have a relatively constant supply of health right below the point, so that makes for plenty of sustainability.

Again, it IS close to their spawn but they do NOT automatically have the advantage when attacking it. Your remaining health plus the number of people attacking/defending make or break any point on the map, this one is no exception. Imagine they zerged bottom point and had a heimerdinger left behind to defend it? Now what?

Note that an effective counter to the 2-1-2 strategy is to just.. send 2 bot initially and send the extra top once the point is capped. Top will be taken because their team will have hesitated due to the zerg strategy nature, and you'll have 3 points. The reason this strategy is effective is due to the element of surprise, and not knowing if they are doing this or not, but if you do by chance know they are, then it is an easy counter. It is impossible to make this strategy the meta by this reason alone.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Added this to the other thread, but I think it's worth repeating. I've lost count of how many times I've watched a teammate or an enemy die because they tried to finish capping a point while low on health with one or more enemies inbound.

If you are low on health, capping an enemy point, and there are two or more enemies about to attack you, FALL BACK. Suiciding serves no purpose. Contrary to what the SR vets would have you believe, dying in Dominion has plenty of consequences. This is even true if you're in the middle of capping a point after you've neutralized it. If you know, FOR A FACT, that you will finish the cap before the enemy gets to you, by all means, cap away. On the other hand if you have only just neutralized the point and can see the enemy champs racing towards you on the screen, retreat. You have done your job. Dying without finishing the cap isn't worth the hindrance to your team.

Will they recap as soon as you disengage? Absolutely. Will you still be alive to help out elsewhere because you are still alive? Also absolutely.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrimalHatred

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionButlerGO View Post
Added this to the other thread, but I think it's worth repeating. I've lost count of how many times I've watched a teammate or an enemy die because they tried to finish capping a point while low on health with one or more enemies inbound.
Not only this, but people don't get how just neutralizing a point is still beneficial. It's so much better to neutralize and retreat (or harass to delay re-cap a bit), than to die or take heavy damage trying for a full cap.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ActionButlerGO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimalHatred View Post
Not only this, but people don't get how just neutralizing a point is still beneficial. It's so much better to neutralize and retreat (or harass to delay re-cap a bit), than to die or take heavy damage trying for a full cap.
Exactly what I was trying to get at. Neutralizing without capping is, of course, not as helpful to your own team, but capping and then immediately dying or, worse, dying WHILE capping can cost your team the game. You have already neutralized it. It isn't providing the enemy any points. Someone on their squad will have to stop to recap meaning that they won't be pushing another of your points.

You have done your job. Live to fight another day.

I am astounded by the number of people I see try and cap a neutral point when they are low on health and can see the enemy headed their way. It's especially sad when their team already has three or more points capped because that death will likely lead to the loss of a point.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sizzackz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

12-01-2011

good read, will recommend this to new players of dom