Udyr - How he should be played. A guide.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krucx

11-29-2011

TL : DR Version : Nerf Udyr

Before I get started and then subsequently send you off rampaging small villages and having Akali snacks for breakfast, please let me first tell you that this build is only as good as you make it to be. If you run off dying every 3 minutes to 3 people in the woods don't come back here telling me this build doesn't work.

This build is utilized at it's fullest potential when you ingrain your play style into the following basic concepts.

1. Always moving. You are not a tower guarder. You do not need to tower hug. You excel in 1v1 fights and putting pressure all over the map.

2. DO NOT DIE. Never trade Kill for kill. If you're as good as you think you are... or how good you should be, then you are way more valuable to your team then that Twisted Fate that has gotten ganked 4 times in the woods already. Live to fight another day. I get it. You went 14-12-7, you had top score, and it felt like you did a good job. Right? Wrong. 12 deaths is roughly 4 full minutes where you were not on the map. 4 full minutes. If it's a 20 min game (pretty standard) essentially you spent 20% of that game doing nothing. Did you have top score? Yeah... but imagine what your score would have been had you not forced those bad fights, chased that Poppy just a little too far, engaged in that 1v2 fight just cause their vayne was 1/3 hp. I would rather have a guy on my team that goes 0-0-12 and gets 3rd place in score than a guy that goes 14-12-7 and has top score. At least I know the 0-0 guy utilized himself to the best of his ability for the full 20 minutes, and didn't spend 4 full minutes doing absolutely nothing.

3. BE AGGRESSIVE. That Yorick just owned your bot guy and took your bot tower? Cool sprint down there (if you can obv) and start capping his bot tower. One of 3 things is going to happen. He's going to leave your tower, allowing your bot to recap, someone else is going to come down there, pulling them away from top and allowing you to put some damage on their tower, or 3.. You get their tower. You don't need to go try and fight that Yorick under the tower, be creative. Don't be afraid to pick fights, and don't be afraid to harass people either. As Udyr, attacking someone is not necessarily an invitation to an all out battle to the death. With Bear stance + Turtle stance your harassing, poking, disrupting, is top notch.

4. Always always always hit the speed buffers. I see so many people who think it is faster to just run past the speed buff at bottom than to dip in to the alcove for 2 seconds and grab it. You never know what is around the corner. You never know if you're gonna round that corner into a pantheon and a sion on gank patrol in the woods looking for fresh bear meat. Always always grab the buffs even if it doesn't exactly mean you get to where you're going faster. What if you're on your way from bottom to top on their side of the map when a rammus starts backdooring your mid. **** it would have been nice had you grabbed that speed buff you just passed. Hit bear stance, zoom straight up grab the next speed boost, then shoot across horizontally and grab the last speed boost right as your running in to rammus. Now not only did you get there at the same time you would have, but now you have a solid 5 seconds left of speed boost to chase this rammus far away from your base.

Udyr is by far my favorite character. I wanted to share my experiences with play as Udyr and what I have observed other Udyr players doing. My goal is that before you shoot this down that you would actually try it. And if you don't believe in the capabilities of this build at least leave some constructive feedback such as, other items that would work better with THIS build. This is not the Atmallet build or a Trinity-Force tanky dps build. This is better. If you play it right.

I find that in dominion when playing Udyr that he is vastly underestimated and subsequently either does not get the respect he deserves, or people underestimate him because most people (that I see) play him wrong.

Understand I'm not saying I'm amazing with Udyr, but with this item build order that I have been using I have found him EXTREMELY strong. Almost no hero can 1v1 him at almost any point in the game, and his ability to sustain and move around the map is amazing.

Runes -
Marks : Full +Attack Speed
-You will understand why you want some bonus plus attack speed when I talk about items and build.
Quint : Full +Move Speed
-Getting around the map and chasing around squishes is the name of the game, these help a lot.
Glyph: Flat Magic Resist
-Early game having the extra magic resist is so pivotal and you'll understand why soon.
Seal : Flat Dodge
-Obviously this is being done away with soon, so I'll probably be switching to flat armor and testing those out.

Masteries -

http://thefwcentral.com/lol/#&trees=1-3-0-0-4-4-0-0-1-1-3-0-0-4-3-4-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

This is the build I use 100% of the time for dominion. It is extremely aggressive, and gives you one of the highest damage potentials for Udyr and the style I use. I used to run with a few things switched around and took the flat armor and magic resist in the defensive tree, but I found this setup to be much better.

Summoner Spells-
- Flash - I know it got nerfed hard. I know everyone says it sucks. All you have to do is not use it like you might be strictly accustomed to. I use it offensively about 75% of the time. Udyr's escape ability is outstanding with all the turns and bushes and spamming between bear and turtle stance, one of the best escape artists in the game. Especially if you're good as using bushes to create misdirection when you're leaving them. You think Ignite hurts? Guess how bad a Blink + Bear stun + Phoenix proc hurts. Way more than 400 dmg I promise you that. And you really can't appreciate this more then when you're up against a really good Vayne and you need to jump on top of her ass after she burned her cool downs. Good night Vayne.

- Exhaust - I think this one can be personal preference. I like the chase ability of exhaust, plus I have this little obsession with 1v1ing other bulky carries in the woods like jax or riven or sion and this just makes sure things go smoothly in my favor.

Spell Order -

Now THIS is where I seem to deviate from what everyone believes to be the "standard" build that I ALWAYS see in Dominion.

Take 1 in Turtle, Bear, and Phoenix at the start. Then max phoenix first, then turtle, then bear and finally tiger last. Almost every Udyr I see is always going tiger stance as their main source of damage and it disgusts me of how little damage it actually does compared to phoenix, but ONLY when you do the item build I am using.

Onto the fun stuff.

Items - Every game regardless of their team comp I always start with the same core items.

-Ninja Tabi
-Ruby Crystal
-Mana Pot

Starting with this build coupled with your Dodge runes, Speed runes, and Flat Magic Resist runes, at the initial battle at top you are a chain stunning, damage sponge to be reckoned with. The Dodge of the boots plus the armor, the health from the crystal, and your innate high starting magic resist give you the ability to be the most annoying ManBearBird thing flying around top tower picking people off.

Next up can vary ever so slightly depending on how you are feeling and how the flow of the game has started. Usually you will always want your first couple trips back to base to only be for health, with the above starting items you can sustain in the field for a good few levels if you are able to stay on top of gathering health points and avoiding bad fights.

-Phage
-Null-Magic Mantle
-Recurve Bow
-Wit's End
-Dagger
-Dagger
-Stinger

Always always in this order. Even if you go back and you have enough for the recurve bow, always get the Null-Magic Mantle first. At this early stage in the game you're phoenix is still not quite high enough to take full advantage of the attack speed over having a hefty amount of magic resist when people haven't busted out their big AP sticks yet.

If you go back to base always pick up whatever items of this you can but always in this order, and with whatever extra gold you have always grab 2-3 of each pot. I grab 2 if I'm taking a good amount of damage cause I know I'll be back to the fountain soon, I grab 3 if I'm at 5-0 already and steamrolling people cause I know I could be in the field for a while.

At this point you essentially have your core built. You are sitting with I believe 86 armor and 90 or so Magic Resist+ 20 from wit's end pretty much anytime you are fighting because you attack so fast. You have +80% increased attack speed, a decent health bonus for this stage, about 18% dodge full time + an additional 9% which is up always when fighting,decent attack from phage + the added bonus from wit's end, and you have 10% cool down reduction, an amazing stat for Udyr in dominion. You should ALWAYS be flipping stances whether you're zipping around in Bear or scouting Shaco bushes with Turtle.

The absolute beauty of this core is that it is CHEAP. At this point it only costs roughly 5300 gold for this core. Essentially only slightly more expensive that trinity-force + boots which I see so many Udyr start with. Not to mention the Stinger builds into an outstanding later item for late game Udyr.

Moving into late game.

At this point it is time to assess the situation of the game. There are two paths you can take and all you have to ask yourself is two questions to decide.

1. Am I steamrolling them.
Not your team, but you yourself. Do you feel confident you can easily and quickly 1v1 any of them in the woods, or that you can easily escape getting caught in the open by 2 of them? Can you survive team fights decently up to this point? Are they building very tanky?

If you answer yes to any of these. Build more damage first. The next damage item you get will greatly increase the damage you do and it turns into a snowball of 17-1-13.

2. Am I taking a ton of damage.
If you feel like team fights are scary, or that Vayne is hitting too hard or that AP Fizz seems to always target you. Then you're going to want to get one of the defensive items listed below before you get your next damage item.

-Stinger -> Nashor's Tooth.

Always always always get this as your next damage item. +10% more attack speed, +55 AP for more damage, Mana regen that allows you to spam your stances indefinitely. BUT! The cream of this item is the +25% Cool down Reduction. THIS IS AMAZING for Udyr. I cannot stress this enough. With this you are giving yourself more turtle shields, faster bear switching for running away, chasing, or getting around, and even bigger is the ability to build your passive up 2 full seconds faster than an Udyr without Cool down Reduction. 2 Full seconds that is like half of a 1v1 with an AD riven or by the time you catch that vayne that keeps blinking away you are sitting at 3 stacks instead of 2 to stun + sink a 1/3 hp Phoenix proc into her. This is HUGE trust me.

At this point you are going to build your first core defensive Item. It is either going to be :
-Guardian Angel (I get this about 80% of the time)
-Frozen Heart (15% of the time)
-Force of Nature (5% of the time)
*Notice that all these items cost roughly the same? This allows you to never have to fully deviate from your build and you almost always know at what time in the games your next item is going to be coming up.

It's all gonna depend on what you're up against and how you're feeling. Most games Guardian angel is a safe bet, but never use it as an excuse to suicide. Always use the revive defensively i.e saving a tower, you got ganked, delaying 3 of them while your team caps etc.

Frozen heart is in there when you have that nasty, very talented Ranged AD carry that can not only put a dent in you super fast but can kite you around to his hearts content, or when you're up against a team of 4 AD/Bruisers and a Heim or something. Bust this out and watch them squirm as they realizes they no longer steam roll right through you and find out that you're phoenix stance doesn't just look pretty flowing in the wind.

Force of Nature I rarely have to use just because of how few games there are where AP casters are a huge threat. Typically if you're up against an AP carry like Sion or Poppy I prefer Guardian Angel but if you're up against a solid Brand, Ryze, Akali, or Ezreal and champions of that nature you are going to NEEED and want to get the Force of Nature.

YOU'RE DONE!

Well, not quite right? Unfortunately this actually is about the time where most games end and you either just finished you're defensive item because you were steam rolling them or you just finished Nashor's tooth because you were getting spanked around all game by a cracked out Shaco.

However...

A lot of times it is a close game and thus this means at this point you want to start working towards your frozen mallet. Get the giant's belt for the nice hit point boost. Adding more damage items is going to have large diminishing returns because at this point, the other bulky carries on the team are also sporting their 1 defensive item, essentially taking away a percentage of whatever you add at this point. Your best bet is to get more bulky and Frozen Mallet is great if you can finish it.

If you manage to finish Frozen Mallet and you did everything in the right order then the last item slot is up to you, however, good luck actually making an item in it. I've only done it on rare 25+ Minute games.

Well that's my strategy to dominating with Udyr. I hope you enjoyed, I know it was a long read. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated and if you have any suggestions or changes to the build please feel free to share.

Krucx

11-29-2011

Bump up the jam
Bump it up
While your feet are stompin'
And the jam is bumpin'
Look at here the crowd is jumpin'

mufins

11-29-2011

tldr: build meta golem and run around the map like any other brainless tanky dps

Krucx

11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufins View Post
tldr: build meta golem and run around the map like any other brainless tanky dps
You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!

Phourc

11-30-2011

Took me a screen and a half before I figured out your build...

I love phoenix udyr, I usually go triforce cause it's good burst but I could see ASPD/AP working.

Krucx

11-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
Took me a screen and a half before I figured out your build...

I love phoenix udyr, I usually go triforce cause it's good burst but I could see ASPD/AP working.
I agree phoenix Udyr is amazing. I used to go tri-force too until i found this build and never looked back. Tri force is nice for tiger but honestly i find attack speed to be the dominant dps stat for udyr.

Krucx

11-30-2011

Soooooooo

I've been playing Tiger stance Udyr lately... And I like it better than phoenix now... Ha ha

sodarific

11-30-2011

Good Build OP. Here's a SS of my first try with your build.

Darmival

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-01-2011

rather nice build, i was surprised.

although looking at ur match history you have Trinity Force like every game... not following your own guide?

JasmineChen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-04-2011

good guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krucx View Post
Take 1 in Turtle, Bear, and Phoenix at the start. Then max phoenix first, then turtle, then bear and finally tiger last.
I like your approach in general, but I take 1 point in tiger early, then ignore it after that. The frontloaded damage is more appropriate to the level 3 teamfight, and I like having tiger as an option when stance dancing. +20/35% AS is hardly a bad thing for your Phoenix stomping pleasure.