"General" Runes ?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jezpakk

11-28-2011

Hello !

I just hit level 20 and want to buy runes now but I don't have any "main" and don't want to waster my ip on useless runes. I wanted to know some runes I should buy that can fit on most toons.

I usually play Master Yi, Ashe and Twisted Fate but I try new champs every weeks. I'm not planning on Tanking for now. I play AD a bit more than AP but as I said every weeks I can discover a new champ that I love hehe!

Thanks !

Joru

11-28-2011

I'm not sure if there's one single answer. When I set out to make my first multi-purpose runepage, I used magic penetration reds, mana regeneration yellows, CDR blues, and move speed quints, because practically every champion I played dealt at least some amount of magic damage and none of them were manaless. Since you lean more towards AD champions, you would want something different.

For reds, armor penetration is probably your best bet. You could also maybe make an argument for attack speed, but armor penetration is less useless for people who almost never autoattack...even if you're a caster, last hits and autoattack harass will make some small use of armor penetration. I don't think there's a primary red rune which is truly equal for AP and AD champions, so you kind of have to make a choice here.

I liked mana regeneration for yellow, but I'm not sure if champions like Master Yi or Ashe ever have any kind of mana issues. If they don't, I'd probably go with armor. A little extra durability never hurt anyone. Armor yellows are also practically a must-have on a jungler (at least at the moment; that'll probably change in the remake), so they're good to have anyway. Plus they're very cheap (though scaling mana regeneration is too).

I'm a big fan of CDR blues, because they're never useless on anybody unless their normal items and masteries already put them over the cap. Unfortunately flat CDR runes are extremely expensive, and the scaling ones just aren't as good. Magic resistance is a cheap alternative.

For quints I'd probably still take Swiftness. You can never really regret having move speed. Flat health is another option. Both of these are in the upper price tier, unfortunately, but anything else is going to be fairly specialized by comparison. You could make an argument for gold/10, I guess, but I have to wonder if they aren't just a drop in the bucket for carry-types. I suppose an extra couple of wards each game is never a bad thing, though, and they're cheaper than most.

There are probably a couple of other viable options out there too, but these are the first ones that come to mind.

Drakorath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-28-2011

These are the runes that I have found to be useful on a large variety of champions.

Marks - Armor pen or magic pen
Seals - Mana regen/lv or flat armor
Glyphs - Magic resist/lv or flat AP (for casters)
Quints - Movespeed and health are probably the best for a "general" runepage, but I usually find myself using armor pen or flat AP

I don't think it is possible to make a runepage that works well for every champion, so I would suggest 2 general runepages, 1 for AD champs and 1 for AP champs.

For example:
AD - Armor pen, armor, magic resist/lv, and armor pen
AP - Magic pen, mana regen (flat or per level), flat AP, flat AP

The only champions that these are really bad for are tanks and supports, but most supports benefit from AP anyway and you said that you don't plan on tanking.

If IP is an issue, the marks are the most important unless you plan on jungling a lot in which case armor seals are probably your priority.

I hope this helps!

Ayestes

11-28-2011

If I could go back and pick what I'd have done personally to start off with...

ArmPen and MagPen Reds
Armor and Mp5 Yellows
Magic Resist and AP/lvl Blues
AD and AP Quints

DonkeyBalls

11-28-2011

These people are awfully nice. I would tell you to do a 5 second search for any of the 23455 posts that tell you this information on any of the common LoL websites.

LeafyFall

11-28-2011

I found this to be helpful. Gives sets for AP, AD, and tank.

http://www.epikgamer.com/?p=73

acosn

11-28-2011

Reds: Armor and Magic penetration.
Yellow: Armor.
Blues: AP, Magic Resist, CDR
Quints: HP, AP, CDR and Gold Per.

Per level runes become more useful in solo lanes because you hit their sweet spot faster. Flat runes are more practical for dual-lanes and characters with thresholds (IE: Akali's Passive, Sona's CDR threshold for her auras.)

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-28-2011

Try this Rune Page Guide, will save you alot of IP: http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-legends-rune-pages-guide

Veledori

11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seelyon View Post
Try this Rune Page Guide, will save you alot of IP: http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-legends-rune-pages-guide
I found this web page is next to useless because the ads keep making the page refresh. It has the info, but pain in the rear to get anything out of it.

Seelyon

11-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veledori View Post
I found this web page is next to useless because the ads keep making the page refresh. It has the info, but pain in the rear to get anything out of it.
Sorry about that, I dont have the same issue. :\