Support Morgana?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tianovas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2011

Hello again, LoL community. I've found a Champion that I feel extremely comfortable playing with and as I goof around with other champs (loving Skarner and Tyrndamere, it's just too bad the former is so expensive...), I have a good solid champ I can fall back on.

My last game with Morgana really opened my eyes. I did pretty well on my own, but when paired with an aggressive melee, I could practically force feed them kills with a well placed stun. So I started looking for guides to really maximize on that, see if there was a way to help my team as a good solid support. I've found guides for a Tanky support Morgana, which sounds intriguing to play, but they're all old. Like 1-2 years old.

So, I come to you to ask for help. Does anyone have a good Mastery and Item build for a support-based Morgana that's up to date with the newest changes? Perhaps even a bit tanky who initiates fights with her stun? And would I capitalize on her Q or E first in that situation?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Haen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2011

Once you get to the higher skill levels of the game, its not as viable as Morgana needs farm to be fully effective so Taric and his stun may be more you're thing if you're looking to play support. Typically Morgana is played as an AP carry mid because she is a hard counter to other AP carries and farms decently well with her pool.

Still, if you're sold on playing her support, I'd probably build a fairly standard support build on her. Start fairy charm, 3 wards, 2 health pots. Build into a philo stone, level 1 boots, Heart of Gold next, build boots into Ionian, Philo stone into shurelia's. Kage's lucky pick if you feel you need some more g/10. I like running 2 g/10 items on my support personally. And obviously buy a ton of wards as well as an oracle's. If the game goes late, you may want to consider an aegis if no one else has built one. Morello's evil tome may be alright. Soul Shroud is also something else to consider. Late game is a lot of countering what the enemy builds.

Thris

Recruiter

11-27-2011

With the right team, Morgana can be a boss of a support. I'd recommend utility masteries with defensive AP items. Her E can be amazing for ranged carries bot if laning against Taric or Alistar. I think it would situational as to which you would max first. Have fun

deathmetalfan

11-28-2011

As you get to higher skill levels, players get better at dodging Dark Bindings and there lies the problem. If you're playing support Morgana why rely on a skill shot to set up a kill when you could easily pick Taric instead? Sure, Taric isn't as much fun to play as Morgana but he's a lot better as a support. Moreover, a Morgana who does not farm does very little damage. So essentially, you are totally dependent on landing your Q and hoping that your teammates follow up. Also remember that Black Shield only blocks spells. If you are babysitting a ranged carry in bot lane against another ranged carry (who will be doing pretty much all the damage), what use is that? Much rather play Janna right?

Anyway, if you still want to play her as a support FlyingElf pretty much nailed it in terms of build. Go typical 9/0/21 support masteries for the extra gold and cooldowns.

Razzi

11-28-2011

If you like Morgana you should try Lux. Lux has a similar playstyle to Morgana. Like Morgana she's usually played as an AD carry with support functions. Her Q serves the same basic function, although I think it's a little shorter than Morgana's Dark Binding. Her W prevents a little incoming damage. Not as much as Black Shield and it doesn't stop any CC but it does defend against all types of damage.

Her Q is where Lux shines. It has a long range and does an incredible amount of damage that you can activate simply by pressing Q a second time. Outside of that it has multiple uses. It gives you vision, especially useful for checking the grass. It also slows enemies in it. Her ultimate is Finales Funklen. The most fun ultimate in my opinion. It's a long range snipe with a 1.5 second or so delay. No missile graphic so all the damage is instantaneous. It's great for getting stragglers trying to escape.

That said, Morgana is really fun too. I've been playing her the last couple days. Here's a link to a build to get you started.

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/malevolent-morgana-97183

TwistWrist

11-28-2011

I don't get that guide...maxes the puddle first...but uses the snare at a one point wonder...and then builds a lot of AP. I guess the shield will be pretty strong...but it seems like snare and puddle should be the first two skills that you max on Morgana. Though if you are going 0 cs support Morgana...then wouldn't snare and shield be first two skills that need to be maxed? Puddle doesn't seem useful for support at all.

Build is a bit wonky as well. Kind of weird to get stack Doran rings and go Catalyst. Thought the whole point of stacking Doran rings was to skip Catalyst.

netkitten

11-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklesniff View Post
Her ultimate is Finales Funklen. The most fun ultimate in my opinion. It's a long range snipe with a 1.5 second or so delay. No missile graphic so all the damage is instantaneous.
i like lux more than morgana too (her stan is so easier to land than morgana's) but the damage of her ultimate isn't instantaneous i think, it takes a bit of time before the beam gets wider, also she needs a bit of time after pressing R before she fires it

Thris

Recruiter

11-28-2011

While Lux's ult can be fun, Morgana's fits a better roll as a support team fight ult.

Burbinator

11-28-2011

that mobafire build isnt for a morg build at all.. chances are a good "support" build would be typical gp5 stack if you're actually going 0 cs route

and twistwrist is pretty right about doran ring stack into roa...

Morg can be played as support. Honesty, almost any champ can be played as support, especially if they have cc. However traditional supports are usually picked because of their sustain ability, janna only exception that comes to mind and her shield is pseudo sustain if you cast it soon enough (in a duo lane, a lot of harass will be physical and make morgs black shield less useful, as well as not giving the AD to your carry... though better if you get ganked). Unorthodox supports can work, but it's risky... there's a reason people TEND to go with your usual sustaining support champs, because it guarantees having a farmed up AD carry.

If you have fun with morg I'd honestly just suggest going mid with her... she's incredibly strong as a straight up tanky ap carry.

Tianovas

11-28-2011

I actually hadn't thought about going mid with her, but after practically soloing top because my partner was Shen and spent so much time teleporting around the map...

This is the build that I've been using. http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=1619 Hasn't steered me wrong so far!

If Lux plays a lot like Morgana (just a glance at her abilities seems like she does with a more powerful Direct Damage Ult and Morgana's more on team support or AoE), and she's only 3150 IP... she's reachable. I may make her my next choice of champion!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I like being able to ask a question in the New Player forums and get a solid set of answers.