TEH - Total Effective Health, or; a guide on how to build a tank properly.

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ujeye

11-27-2011

Excellent read man, hope it helps some of the less-prepared to tank players out there. +1

Lorifel

11-27-2011

If you have MS Access you can try my program. It has an option to help with your choice of optimal TEH items for each champion at each level.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=13133778

I hope it helps.

Asgrim

11-27-2011

O.o says that link doesn't exist.

GreatMno

11-27-2011

Thank you very much for this guide. I've been thinking for a while that health items on a tank are the better choice early but I couldn't articulate why. This guide does that pretty well.

Stimraug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2011

Hello Asgrim,

I'm sure your intent is good here, but I can't see the use in introducing new terms like TEH, when EHP (Effective Health Points) is already widely used, and these so-called "damage ratios". In my opinion, you're only making a simple thing very complex. No one needs to follow an artificial term called "damage ratio", or how many % is the enemy carry chipping away of your health / hit.

All these advices for tanking can be summarized in a small and effective guide of how to generally make the most use out of your gold. When you have a certain amount of health and resistances, all you have to consider is the amount of EHP an additional unit of health or resistances will give you, taking in consideration the price of such units.

Also, resistances do not work in diminishing returns, as is proven in the following post. This is a general folly that results from people playing with percentages without thinking thoroughly. Recently Morello stated flawlessly so, and hasn't since corrected his mistake, in hopes of letting the matter go unnoticed.

Here's a link to a post where the subject is discussed among other things:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1420182&langid=1
Scroll down to the quotes in my main post.

If you don't want to open the link, I'll summarize the logic behind the EHP/gold optimization:
At 3000 HP and 150 resistances (150 of both armor and mres) you may choose to buy 10 HP (~26 gp, when Giant's Belt is used for the maths) to gain +25EHP. You may also choose to invest the same 26 gp into resistances, meaning you divide 26 gp in between MR and Armor. Since MR and Armor cost almost the same amount, for the sake of simplicity I will consider them to be of the same value. Using the price/quality values of a negatron cloak and a chain vest, we get 0.83 points of both resistances, i.e 0.0083*3000 HP = +25 EHP. This means that at 3000 HP and 150 resistances, buying more of either is optimal.

In the aforementioned post I've given a simple and easily memorized formula to optimize your HP/resistance ratio. Add both resistances together, the sum should be 10% of your max HP. In other words, keeping the HP : (Armor + Magic resistance) ratio at 10 : 1 lets you follow the linear and optimal relatioon between buying HP and resistances.

TL;DR, your guide is a nice try, but please try to find out the facts first, and not confuse newer players with new fancy useless terms.

EDIT: Downvotes? Hahah! Ignorant maggots. The other people who agree with me are later upvoted. Learn the subject at hand first, *then* downvote if you feel it necessary.

Meanelliott

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestes View Post
It's also important to slightly value mitigation above raw health, due to various factors such as health regen, healing, life steal, spell vamp, and other forms of regeneration.
The same ciuld be said for valuing raw health because of true dmg and armor pen. You have to judge your opponent.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

11-27-2011
1 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimraug View Post
Also, resistances do not work in diminishing returns, as is proven in the following post.
resistances do work on diminishing returns. whenever you gain another point of armor, each point of armor is worth less damage reduction. this is why each point of penetration gives a larger damage increase as you penetrate closer to zero.

if resistances didn't have diminishing returns, every 'ehp' guide ever would say 'always buy mitigation because diminishing returns don't exist.' it's very silly to see people write 'armor doesn't have diminishing returns, but you should stop buying it at this point and buy health instead because the armor becomes less valuable.' it's always saddening to see it mentioned on the guides & strats forum because i just know i'm going to hear it parroted later on.

really though, the important thing that everyone seems to miss is that 'ehp' calculations aren't very helpful in the grand scheme of things because players are rarely in a situation in which they are forced to make a choice between health and mitigation without other factors (like passives) weighing in. for example if you need to build against a carry, and your team would benefit most with a randuin's omen because of the active, you're just going to build omen--likely with heart of gold as your first piece for the g/10. another common example is atmog's--you build warmog's first, not because of some long-winded 'ehp' post someone wrote on the forums, but because warmog's needs time to ramp up and atma's requires a certain amount of health to justify the purchase.

Ninjakrew

11-27-2011

Warmogs Atmas

Congratz you're a tank.

Cute Riolu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklessabandon View Post
resistances do work on diminishing returns. whenever you gain another point of armor, each point of armor is worth less damage reduction. this is why each point of penetration gives a larger damage increase as you penetrate closer to zero.

if resistances didn't have diminishing returns, every 'ehp' guide ever would say 'always buy mitigation because diminishing returns don't exist.' it's very silly to see people write 'armor doesn't have diminishing returns, but you should stop buying it at this point and buy health instead because the armor becomes less valuable.' it's always saddening to see it mentioned on the guides & strats forum because i just know i'm going to hear it parroted later on.

really though, the important thing that everyone seems to miss is that 'ehp' calculations aren't very helpful in the grand scheme of things because players are rarely in a situation in which they are forced to make a choice between health and mitigation without other factors (like passives) weighing in. for example if you need to build against a carry, and your team would benefit most with a randuin's omen because of the active, you're just going to build omen--likely with heart of gold as your first piece for the g/10. another common example is atmog's--you build warmog's first, not because of some long-winded 'ehp' post someone wrote on the forums, but because warmog's needs time to ramp up and atma's requires a certain amount of health to justify the purchase.
What I think he's trying to say with regards to EHP is that every point of armor/mr gives the same amount of EHP. While every successive point of armor gives less of a % increase, it gives the same flat increase.

BungalowBill

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Riolu View Post
What I think he's trying to say with regards to EHP is that every point of armor/mr gives the same amount of EHP. While every successive point of armor gives less of a % increase, it gives the same flat increase.
Each point increased in the % is worth the same in terms of EH, not each point increased in Armor/MR itself.

12345612 ... 15