[Suggestion] alternative to a Caitlyn nerf

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GlyphTsen

11-26-2011

2 shots no. It's 1 shot, or a slight timing advantage at best. The thing is, it isn't actually a problem, in large part to the three things I mentioned before. I mean, it's good, but it's not game deforming or "too" good.

Note: the current meta with AD in dual-lanes actually makes it less of a problem.

That Other Guy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2011

That's actually part of the problem; she actually makes a good mid and top as well in her current state. Also like I said people can be lousy with her kit and still do well just because of her range; myself included. I do better with her than any other carry JUST because of her range and that's too much effect for a single aspect of a character.

All I think needs done is 20-50 range removed and I even offered an alternative for those that want to keep a very long potential range on her.

Unfortunately about all I seem to see from people that disagree about there being a problem is saying she's fine with no backup of their opinion, people trying to use flavor text as an excuse, people trying to compare her base range to the potential range of Kog'maw and late-game range of Tristana, people who are stuck in a box, and people who think the rest of her kit sucks.

Besides I'm not opposed to sensible buffs of her skills at the same time.

At any rate I'm clearly not getting through to anyone who either doesn't see a problem or refuses to admit it and I'm tired of trying to have an intellectual discussion with mostly closed-minded people so I'm done here. I've made my suggestions and Riot can take it from here if they see value in my suggestions.

Mawile

11-26-2011

I can see why you want Caitlyn nerfed, but your idea is actually bad design. Let me explain: Riot ahs been trying to steer away from passive gameplay and make laning more dynamic. Your new passive promotes stagnant gameplay. If anything, I think an appropriate change would be to lower her base damage, but up her damage per level. That way, her early game is nerfed, but her late game is stronger.

However, I personally find Caitlyn to be balanced. But that's my opinion.

TwoSecs

11-26-2011

Caitlyn thoroughly dominates the lane phase. It isn't only her range, but the great harass from her Q and the fantastic utility of her W.

Her entire kit is strong for laning, not just her range. She plays safer and stronger than most other ranged AD carries.

N0vaFlame

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2011

Your idea would also make her even more useless lategame. Anyone stupid enough to think they can make any use of that passive in a teamfight can just uninstall now.

Invictrix

11-26-2011

Here is the problem if you take away her range and her strong early laning phase there isn't anything left for her to do or be. She will then be a crappy ad ranged carry worse than ashe and sivir depending on how sivirs rework goes.

Now I can hear you all already "well take her range away and give her more damage or abilities or something." That would make Caitlyn into Vayne. If we nerf all the champions with good ranges down to sub par ranges there will be no counter to vayne or the new sivir or graves or miss fortune. Then we will all be back here in a couple months talking about whether vayne and sivir need to be nerfed.

This would weaken the ranged ad carry class as a whole and cause more people to take melee ad carries like Tryndamere and Renekton which is already a problem now since ranged ad carries are made purposely weaker than melee ad carries since they have a ranged advantage which you would like to get rid of.

Also caitlyn just had her yordle trap and q damage nerfed as well as an annoying movement speed nerf which no one except caitlyn players seemed to regard as an actual nerf, which it was. In conclusion lay off the sheriff of Piltover.

That Other Guy

11-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoukanju View Post
I can see why you want Caitlyn nerfed, but your idea is actually bad design. Let me explain: Riot ahs been trying to steer away from passive gameplay and make laning more dynamic. Your new passive promotes stagnant gameplay. If anything, I think an appropriate change would be to lower her base damage, but up her damage per level. That way, her early game is nerfed, but her late game is stronger.

However, I personally find Caitlyn to be balanced. But that's my opinion.
Thank you for your constructive criticism and I agree with you. I'm not so sure the damage changes you've suggested would solve the issue. but I'd say it's worth testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkem Fiend View Post
Caitlyn thoroughly dominates the lane phase. It isn't only her range, but the great harass from her Q and the fantastic utility of her W.
I don't dispute this on a good Caitlyn, the problem I have with the current situation is that someone who doesn't use the rest of her kit properly can still do really well in the laning phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0vaFlame View Post
Your idea would also make her even more useless lategame. Anyone stupid enough to think they can make any use of that passive in a teamfight can just uninstall now.
Positioning in teamfights is important and Caitlyn isn't going to be the one initiating it most likely given her the time she needs for positioning. Besides smart teams will try to make the team fight happen on THEIR terms, such as hiding in a bush in wait. Regardless Shoukanju has already explained why my idea was bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictrix View Post
Also caitlyn just had her yordle trap and q damage nerfed as well as an annoying movement speed nerf which no one except caitlyn players seemed to regard as an actual nerf, which it was. In conclusion lay off the sheriff of Piltover.
Since Shoukanju's constructive post quelled my temper I am thinking more clearly now and I can say that I honestly don't know well enough how much it impacted her because I haven't seen her often enough since the movement nerf, but that's largely cuz I tend to ban her.

Historically her laning has been excessively strong which usually leads to a strong late game because she tends to snowball if the user is decently skilled at the game, but this is partially the fault of the people in her lane for not adjusting their playing to account for her.

However, there are changes to laning coming in the new patch that may negatively impact her so we'll see.