Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OmegaAngel

11-25-2011

Sivir already has close to the same range as Lux's light binding,
more if you count the bounce.
Fiddle can out distance her with his dark wind.
Both of those attacks, all things being equal, do more damage.
With the relatively weak shield, a shorter range on most of her attacks, and lower base stats,
she is now a laser shooting one trick pony.
If Riot won't boost her damage she really needs longer range on light binding and lucent singularity to remain viable.

Runicman

11-25-2011

I have just now begun playing talon. I play fairly aggressive due to high base damage but my health pots are what allow me to do it. Without the same amount of health back I am defidently going to play more passively so i can stay in lane and not fall behind in xp.

l Loom l

11-25-2011

So is there even a point in counter jungling anymore? Besides taking the major buffs.

Hugohighway

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhieron View Post
Let's encourage aggression by ...

Wait a second. You're trying to get people to be more aggressive by punishing their sustainability? I'm not sure I see this. If my health potions won't actually heal me meaningfully anymore, I'm not going to decide to take more risks. I'm going to blue pill more often and look for an alternative to potions. I'm going to hug my tower more because I know getting poked is something I can't recover from, and I'd rather be pushed out of lane than killed. I'll just buy Health Regen, Life steal, or mitigation stats instead. Or better yet, I'll play more champs that have abilities that give me those things.

The minion damage change is a good one; nothing is more demoralizing than being killed because the enemy minion line is in a better position to protect their champ than yours is. That said, if you want to make the game more aggressive, you have to make the consequences of success more rewarding and the consequences of failure less punishing. The change to death timers several patches ago was a start, but even after that change, I still feel like teleport is mandatory for one of the champs in a two man lane, because a successful gank at any time after level one or two will mean that the turret falls.

I guess I say that to say I just frankly disagree with your vision for the game. Honestly, I'm sick and tired of having esports waved in my face like a giant *****. It's offensive, and I think these changes are more about marketing and less about the overall health of the game. You want the game to be more entertaining for people who are watching, but at the same time I think you're making the game progressively more frustrating for people actually playing.

When Vlad was nerfed, there was a great deal of in my opinion extremely meaningful discussion about player decision-making in gameplay, and I appreciated that conversation for it even though I think the nerf was a slap in the face to Vlad players (and said as much at the time). Well what happened to that? I thought the company line was that players should have more and better choices? Making potions less useful is removing a choice. Maybe this is a totally insignificant change, but since we're still not actually testing, I have to assume the worst and argue accordingly.

If, however, my worst fears fail to materialize, I think we're still looking at a symptom of a more systemic problem. You're trying to twist players' arms to make the game more aggressive, yet you've done nothing significant to actually alter the mechanics of the game to encourage aggression. Last hitting is still the name of the game--guaranteed creep score is always a better option than a risk at a kill, especially since the consequences if that risk fails to materialize are pretty dire. That is to say, if you want to actually fundamentally change the way players in the lane behave, you have to actually change the fundamentals of laning.

That means minions need to matter less, death needs to matter less, and killing other players needs to matter more. Even though I feel like Dominion is a catastrophic failure on the whole, there are some definite things to learn from it, and if your goal is to make champion play on SR more like that, you have to carry some of those things over. Minions need to be less important; if I forego killing minions to harass and try to get a kill instead, I shouldn't be completely wrecked if it doesn't work out. Similarly, if I take a chance and die, I shouldn't come back to my lane to find myself down two levels and completely zoned out for the rest of the phase.

The counter-argument is, "Well that's the cost of the risk; you could have won and then it would be the other guy in that situation," right? Right! So play passively instead. I realize this change is aimed at moving the line between "maybe a kill" and "guaranteed kill (or at least out of lane)" from where it currently is, but as long as the base mechanics remain unaltered, the incentives remain where they are. They shift around a little--depending on the numbers, I'll probably leave base with fewer potions from now on--but my laning behavior isn't going to change at all. If anything, I'll be even more passive, because now I'm not packing any potions, and I don't have a Flash anymore.
I agree with you 100%. Thank you for not making me type all of this

shaaay

11-25-2011

Next patch, you won't need hands to jungle anymore.

New Battlefield

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

i honestly almost uninstalled the game. i will give riot the benefit of the doubt and wait for the patch itself, but i feel like ive just been slapped

1)changing the minion damage,.....i dont even understand....for people who have been playing any longer than a month, you develop strategies and ways of playing. you just kinda threw some of that out the window. i almost feel betrayed. we come t learn that the line of minions is like a barrier, a shield, and you just destroyed that.

2) it took me SOOOO long to buy all the runes , and the good champs, so i could jungle well in ranked. while im still not great, i spent alot of time focusing to buy runes to make it so killing those monsters, and ganking when i needed to where possible options. now, my runes are no longer needed. sure, they will help, but now i jungle the same as some lv 2 w/o runes? i am just too dissapoint

3) the last serval patches, all ive herd is "making the game less passive, more aggresive" well as someone stated before me, WHY in the HELL am i going to be more aggresive when my 1 sustaining element has been nerfed. thats like if car companys wanted people to drive faster, they would take the bumbers, seatbelts, and airbags out of the car to make it lighter. you can drive faster BUT YOU BETTER NOT CRASH!.

4) last rant. LoL is supposed to be like DOTA or HoN but more accessible to new players. but it seems to me that you are trying to make it more LIKE those game. are we going to be able to deny soon? i woudnt be suprised honestly.

/QQ over

NadeBot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

This patch is THE WORST PATCH I HAVE EVER SEEN IN A GAME. So you bring out season 2, and give some **** about wanting to make the game more competitive, and then you go and make everything "EASIER??" There is nothing wrong with how the jungle is, and making the minions do less damage is retarded...... Please for the love of god do not apply this patch....

Hidden Sniper

11-25-2011

Sivir was fine. Just needed like 50 extra range is all on her basic attack range (not her ricos). She just takes some skill.
I played "Sivir" for one of the last times tonight. It was beautiful.
Ricochets flying everywhere causing all sorts of collateral damage. Getting to dodge minion blasts while you harass and kill Swain for first blood. Taking two towers in under a minute due to all of the ricos slaying any minions who dare to get close...
Instead the "New and Improved Sivir" will get to throw one rico every few seconds. Have to move, stop, attack, to gain some passive movement (Since you can't move and attack, so this is kinda dumb unless it is a size-able enough thing).
I just... Don't want her to turn into like, Kayle, who, I have no desire to ever play again.

Man, I keep watching the video... It... Just can't be true. Sivir is only the start of the bad patch. :/

Yummines

11-25-2011

sivir changes i welcome, especially the range buff.

jungle changes im not sure. i usually dont play jungle but i know this will likely have a major effect on expectations of the jungler now. now it seems hes probably going to be blamed even more for problems. having to make the choice between staying up in level or ganking seems a little too big a difference.

minion wave nerf and potion nerf kind of irk me though. it just makes bad lane matchups even worse. im guessing all melee characters pretty much have to jungle now if they arent solo top.

HawksGoCAW

11-25-2011

****. that.