Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Samuraijames

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoda View Post
I predict that he next patch will change all skill shots to autocast...

Nice, now I can introduce this game to my 7 year old sister
its not going to be that man, there trying to make it, so they encourage real 1v1 and static jungle encounters, so its more unpredictable and much harder to time engagements.. which is what a pvp game should be. stop being a troll

1Ninjaboy

11-25-2011

If they could show Shen the same love Sivir got

Orbv

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

SO Sivir can't clear minion waves every attack anymore...her w has to be cast?...how is that helping her be a great pushing champion?

TemptedToTouch

11-25-2011

Got my dota 2 key yesterday, sandking is fcking awesome with blinkdagger and hardly no items. Also riot gonna keep taking advice from blizzard, riot made this game **** the minute they wanted to nerf support champs and try to make them into carries.

AquariousNiche

11-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhieron View Post
Let's encourage aggression by ...

Wait a second. You're trying to get people to be more aggressive by punishing their sustainability? I'm not sure I see this. If my health potions won't actually heal me meaningfully anymore, I'm not going to decide to take more risks. I'm going to blue pill more often and look for an alternative to potions. I'm going to hug my tower more because I know getting poked is something I can't recover from, and I'd rather be pushed out of lane than killed. I'll just buy Health Regen, Life steal, or mitigation stats instead. Or better yet, I'll play more champs that have abilities that give me those things.

The minion damage change is a good one; nothing is more demoralizing than being killed because the enemy minion line is in a better position to protect their champ than yours is. That said, if you want to make the game more aggressive, you have to make the consequences of success more rewarding and the consequences of failure less punishing. The change to death timers several patches ago was a start, but even after that change, I still feel like teleport is mandatory for one of the champs in a two man lane, because a successful gank at any time after level one or two will mean that the turret falls.

I guess I say that to say I just frankly disagree with your vision for the game. Honestly, I'm sick and tired of having esports waved in my face like a giant *****. It's offensive, and I think these changes are more about marketing and less about the overall health of the game. You want the game to be more entertaining for people who are watching, but at the same time I think you're making the game progressively more frustrating for people actually playing.

When Vlad was nerfed, there was a great deal of in my opinion extremely meaningful discussion about player decision-making in gameplay, and I appreciated that conversation for it even though I think the nerf was a slap in the face to Vlad players (and said as much at the time). Well what happened to that? I thought the company line was that players should have more and better choices? Making potions less useful is removing a choice. Maybe this is a totally insignificant change, but since we're still not actually testing, I have to assume the worst and argue accordingly.

If, however, my worst fears fail to materialize, I think we're still looking at a symptom of a more systemic problem. You're trying to twist players' arms to make the game more aggressive, yet you've done nothing significant to actually alter the mechanics of the game to encourage aggression. Last hitting is still the name of the game--guaranteed creep score is always a better option than a risk at a kill, especially since the consequences if that risk fails to materialize are pretty dire. That is to say, if you want to actually fundamentally change the way players in the lane behave, you have to actually change the fundamentals of laning.

That means minions need to matter less, death needs to matter less, and killing other players needs to matter more. Even though I feel like Dominion is a catastrophic failure on the whole, there are some definite things to learn from it, and if your goal is to make champion play on SR more like that, you have to carry some of those things over. Minions need to be less important; if I forego killing minions to harass and try to get a kill instead, I shouldn't be completely wrecked if it doesn't work out. Similarly, if I take a chance and die, I shouldn't come back to my lane to find myself down two levels and completely zoned out for the rest of the phase.

The counter-argument is, "Well that's the cost of the risk; you could have won and then it would be the other guy in that situation," right? Right! So play passively instead. I realize this change is aimed at moving the line between "maybe a kill" and "guaranteed kill (or at least out of lane)" from where it currently is, but as long as the base mechanics remain unaltered, the incentives remain where they are. They shift around a little--depending on the numbers, I'll probably leave base with fewer potions from now on--but my laning behavior isn't going to change at all. If anything, I'll be even more passive, because now I'm not packing any potions, and I don't have a Flash anymore.
This man speaks the truth!

108Temptations

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-25-2011

I don't really like these changes a whole lot. Making the game seem less complex with the minion nerf, and the jungle changes might make it too "noob friendly." Making minions deal solid damage early game was pretty important imo, just one of the little things that separated good players from bad ones.

spawNdot

11-25-2011

Jungle takes no skill now thanks riot making the game easier every patch i guess

Tarshana

11-25-2011

I really like the jungle changes and the more fun lane style play. Can't wait to play Sivir more, too =)

godzmack

11-25-2011

Really excited for these changes, finally real junglers can jungle like the bosses they are and aren't 100% based on gank success in how they do late game. Hoping for the stealth rework soon as this might just allow them to jungle.

Jungle ganks will hurt more with optimal runes for each champ and less minions damage(Eve is gonna dominate the world).

soylent

11-25-2011

Great, so the 50-60min games will be the new standard and we might even see 70min ones.... That will result in lots of afk/quitters, because who the **** wants to play this long.

Good job in making this already way too noobfriendly game even more noobfriendly. As if Dota 2 wouldn't exist, you ruin this game and change it's very basics. Whats next? Lower Tower Damage? Reduce respawn time and give everyone 1300 Gold at the start?!

OHHH wait, we got that already: Dominion. The mode for all those "qq I want to play aggressive but I dont give a **** about teamplay or skill" Seriously, whoever told you those changes were for the best, they clearly work for Valve.

You just want even more money from even more noobs. That's what runs even WoW into the ground atm and LoL will follow.