Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rehis

11-26-2011

So with the new masteries and easier jungle, I feel that the junglers will be the ones dominating the games moreso than before. As a person who jungles more than he lanes (especially since the mastery changes) I would gladly give up ganking for my team if they can ward properly and hold their own out anyway against the other jungler. Jungler = Solotop with no harrass and smite instead of teleport. Caling it now.

ronneyziny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-26-2011

I'm surprised they don't say anything regarding jax, shouldn't he be concerned the most due to the removal of dodge ?

KnightWhoSaidNee

11-26-2011

I want to play this with the changes before I call foul.

...but troll jungle builds do sound fun, and I'm looking forward to buffed (hopefully) Sivir.

As for everyone *****ing about reduction in choice with the pots and screwing the competitive players with "noob friendly" play, really guys?

Four bad options is more choice than one obvious option, and the competitive scene is all about optimizing play. The game hasn't fundamentally changed, but the meta will probably change just because the best way to play may shift slightly. Big whoop.

Anyway, here's hoping these changes are good ones.

bLuFoX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

11-26-2011

I must agree that this game is going to become a completely different one it seems. The pot change itself is going to make it a lot harder for squishy dps'ers to be as viable and forcing teams to play supports that can heal. But we'll see how it all plays out lol

ChèGuevara

11-26-2011

Yer umm thanks for wrecking the game for all the hard working and good players. If lowers want to jungle then they can just lvl without jungling until 29-30. You've stuffed up the game with the Anti-fun. Well done.

MakesN0Sense

11-26-2011

You're just killing this game...

ChèGuevara

11-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wra7h View Post
Exactly. Well said

Federok

11-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wra7h View Post

people say that riot is killing this game since 2010.....

Denfo

11-26-2011

Scrub tears taste like rainbows

GoodwicK

11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
It's related to what people value and what people notice and whether these experiences are net negative or net positive. Dodge fundamentally has worse psychology than crit, so we value crit more than dodge.
when the announcement was made, I discussed this topic to death, probably with the wrong people since you hold the title, "design director."

By removing dodge, you are:

1. Making the game more linear

The game is now more linear, and requires less knowledge of the variety of item builds. No more SotD, every AD builds Brutalier, Last Whisper, or Black Cleaver, the END.

2. Reducing the counters to no skill, auto attacking champions.

Also, from a defensive standpoint: no more boot to counter range harassment. No dodge runes, and no dodge masteries. With only MR and Armor, less choice in runes and items.

3. Removing the psychology of dodge.

Less choices = less fun. If people didn't want to dodge, why did they choose it in their masteries, runes, and item selection?

I realize the pointlessness of this discussion, but in hopes that you'd change your mind, I brought it up anyway.

Attackers call dodge "un-fun" while defenders call it part of the game (until now). I agree with the move to a more aggressive style of gaming instead of awarding passive play, but I just think that could have been achieved without removing dodge.

I hope you bring dodge back in the future. There has been many people disappointed by the decision to remove it, so not everyone is pleased to see it go. Perhaps it will make a comeback in S3.

Thanks for reading