Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Volibear Patch Preview: Gameplay Changes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SexyGamer

11-26-2011

Quote:
Zombiethekid:
I agree, it is too much to take in all at once and without any testing.

Lets take a skill basted game, Twisted Metal. And yes, TM does take skill to play because you need to know where you are and how to maneuver to not get killed. Now lets have a veteran play it and he'll usually always dominate an lower skilled player. Is that lower skilled player going to want to keep playing if he always gets beaten? or will he want to keep trying to beat the veteran? It goes either way but which is more likely to happen?

I just signed my friend up to play, and to be honest, she had trouble adapting to this game. If they make this, as you would put it "easier" then maybe she'll want to play it more rather then having to constantly get beaten and eventually give up.

there should be a learning curve for this game. DOTA2 has it and EVEN HoN. "What doesn't kill you makes you strong" <- players should learn from their mistakes and improve gradually. If Riot made this game to cater to low level players, several competitive players are just going to play this for awhile and then think "oh this game is too easy, takes no skill" and quit. Now i'm not sure about you but i like a game with challenges. Makes me want to play it more.

T Le B

Recruiter

11-26-2011

Quote:
Zombiethekid:
Funny how you try to quote me but fail to look an the entirety of what i said. I did say that atleast you had potions, but also mentioned your going to have to be smarter to use them instead of just popping them every time you take a few points of damage.

Also, i did say that i kinda agreed with the minion nerf, but i also said anyone stupid enough to dive to a champion surround by minions deserved to die.

And lastly, when you put it that way, i can see why your angry about it. But can't you atleast enjoy that other players will still get the same result? Or are you too selfish to think of how other player will now carry you?

I read what you said several times, thought about it, typed that response, read it over, thought about it, and posted it. I don't make rash decisions.
I guess this patch just truly does not apply to me. Because I never wasted potions by taking them to heal off a few points of damage. But hey, with the nerf to their healing abilities, maybe now I will.
They can get the same result as me, right now, through hard work and practice. In a couple days, they'll lose that forever and just be handed Easy Mode. "Jungling" is supposed to be a role, not a a choice on a whim.
And I guess if not enjoying getting the shaft from a company I've supported and essentially donated money to makes me selfish, so be it. I'm a selfish ******* today then.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-26-2011

Quote:
turkeyBACON:
Wait, I'm sorry Zileas but aren't both situations lame? As an attacker i basically want to always crit and never be dodged and the vice versa for defending. But i always feel like any random event is undeserved and generally takes no skill unless its tied to a champs ability (example: Ashe or Panth). I think you should just remove rng items entirely. Don't crit and dodge basically define "power without gameplay" ? If anything I think both stats are equally annoying; I'd rather always deal and receive consistent damage.

Existing crit items should/could be changed to have an active where they temporarily give increased ad or armor pen.

It's related to what people value and what people notice and whether these experiences are net negative or net positive. Dodge fundamentally has worse psychology than crit, so we value crit more than dodge.

Greÿ Goose

11-26-2011

Quote:
Zombiethekid:
Since when is everyone low level a bad player? When i started play i never considered myself bad. It'll still take time to develop skill to this game, but now it makes it a bit more easier for everyone whos lower lvl. I've seen bads a lvl 30 and yeah i've been bad at lvl 30 too, but does that mean i'm unskilled? I surely don't think so when i go 16/7 as riven.

And to be honest, when has it NOT been when you get fed its gg?

And yes, minions aren't just for farming, they help out too, but now its more to the player's ability to play to fight their enemy rather then letting minions do all the work.

What are you trying to demonstrate in saying you can carry with Riven? She's perfectly viable at the moment.

To be honest, teamplay + team meta > one person being fed?

The minions didn't do all the work, they ensured the smart play of individuals in clearing out a minion wave or timing aggression correctly so they benefit, sigh.

Majiger

11-26-2011

What. The. ****?

Riot you need to learn how to play this game before making stupid changes. That jungle "buff" just means we will never see the light of jungle ganks again. Farmfest for 20min here we come!

SexyGamer

11-26-2011

Quote:
Zombiethekid:
Since when is everyone low level a bad player? When i started play i never considered myself bad. It'll still take time to develop skill to this game, but now it makes it a bit more easier for everyone whos lower lvl. I've seen bads a lvl 30 and yeah i've been bad at lvl 30 too, but does that mean i'm unskilled? I surely don't think so when i go 16/7 as riven.

And to be honest, when has it NOT been when you get fed its gg?

And yes, minions aren't just for farming, they help out too, but now its more to the player's ability to play to fight their enemy rather then letting minions do all the work.

There SHOULD be a learning curve. a better action that Riot could've easily made is making these changes ONLY to affect players of a set level who play in their level range of gameplay. They'd get the concept of jungle and when they finally hit our levels, they'll be exposed to the real deal and be better prepped to do it.

EDIT: When a player gets fed, often times the enemy team will take measures to stop them early on so they DON'T snowball. And part of the skill in this game is using your SURROUNDINGS. Using your surroundings to outsmart your enemy is part of the skill that makes this game great. Minions, monsters, and npc all-alike are a large part of this.

Simbela

11-26-2011

Quote:
T Le B:
We aren't complaining because we don't want to adapt, we're complaining because we're being forced to adapt to bad and new players, instead of them adapting to us.

So your saying new players have to adapt to OLDER play styles and senario's from a different season. Rather than we who yes, been playing longer and have more experience take on new challenges because of bad and new players?

1. Your contradicting yourself - you want others to adapt to your play style, and yet, unwilling to adapt to another. Without meaning to sound rude thats a little self centered and stuck in old ways.
2. Bad players will still be bad players unless we who are more expereienced and practised HELP them rather than ABUSE them (hence why Riot had to add a tribunal for all the **** some people dish out to others).
3. Not all new players are bad to begin with (yes you stated bad and new together in same sentence - dont try to contradict yourself...AGAIN).
4. If a game does not change, evolve, and offer new experiences for new and old players, why play the game to begin with? If it going to be the same every week, of every month, of every year...why continue playing it? You wont get anything new out of it.

All the people 'QQing' over the changes need to step back, take a breath and look at what the new patch will offer, not what it takes away.
IE. the supporter nerf patch. people 'QQed' that healing was nerfed through the roof, including me. But i still play Soraka today because while her healing was nerfed, her damage was increased. I learned to play her a new way that let me still be support but now i do damage and break peoples playing heart when 'you have been slain' by Soraka

i look forward to the new changes

Janszoon

11-26-2011

1. Nerfing lane creep damage? lolwut? 10 creeps atm can easly protect you from enemy melee champion (lane phase ofc). But after nerf creeps become nothing more than a moving "wall"....
Or this is a hidden Amumu buff !?
2. Jungle creeps change sounds good, but (imo) jungler will be farmed alot more than a laner.
Incoming jungle troll wars, every1 will want to jungle.....

TalLavi

Recruiter

11-26-2011

Quote:
Zileas:
It's related to what people value and what people notice and whether these experiences are net negative or net positive. Dodge fundamentally has worse psychology than crit, so we value crit more than dodge.

@Zileas,
I asked it before and ill ask again, will you be reducing the costs of dorans items to compensate the lower health gain of health potions? the cost of dorans was brought up because a dorans + health potion was considered to much sustain, I think now a doran + health potion will be just enough.

friendlybaboon

11-26-2011

I noticed that there was a "Nasus Bot."

Are more AI bots going to be introduced? This would make me quite happy actually.

New jungling on the other hand... we will have to see...